Going BasicMed

Sundancer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Sundog
Howdy - my III Class (not a SI) expires last day of September; I took some time with the AOPA web site this AM, and I'm not seeing a downside to BasicMed for my situation. . .below 6K gross weight, five pax or less, under 18K feet - that'll describe my aviation world as I move into retirement in the not too distant future.

I brought it up with my primary, and he sees it as just another of similar kinds of exams/forms he completes for other patients, no big deal. Insurance doesn't care, either.

Anyone see any downsides to this, considering the situation I've described?

Not looking for self-righteous opinions about visiting my Doctor regularly, etc. - I'm all grown up, can manage my own medical care. And my primary is a far better informed as to my health than a medical-mill AME. . .

Just any practical issues? I don't have flying-for-pay in my future, either.

Based on what you have written, I don't see any downside.

I was the first patient at my primary doctor to ask for a Basic Med. My only comment was they made it way more complicated than needed. I'm normally in and out getting my 3rd class physical is about 30 to 40 minutes. My doctor had me do an auto gram, for the hearing part, strip down and do a complete physical. Took over an hour. Also had to do more than just pee in a cup.

There is only one AME here and he takes the summer off, so I was forced to fly to another town to get a 3rd class or go with the Basic Med. I would get a 3rd class given the choice and probably will when the AME gets back to work. Remember you can't fly international (Canada, Mexico) with Basic Med yet.

I had my BasicMed exam last April to avoid the annual SI renewal. It was part of by annual physical with my PCP and only required a couple extra tests. I've been flying with it all summer and the restrictions have been a non-issue for me. I guess I may have flown to Canada one day if I could, but that's no big deal to me.

Except the Bahamas.
Ahhh. . .that is a trip I'd like to do; didn't realize it was O.K. under BasicMed. Thanks, good to know. . .I'm in Maryland, but no burning desire to fly to Canada or Mexico. III Class wasn't of much value to pilot's anyway.

Last edited:
Just curious to know but if a person still wants to go sport pilot but would like a more thorough determination than simply self certification that he or she is fit to fly, could they use BasicMed (physical and medical education course only) and still go sport pilot without getting the initial 3rd class medical if they never done the FAA medical before?

I am not/not an expert after an hour or two with the AOPA site - hit AOPA and "Basic Med" on the banner page; there was/was some verbiage on sport pilot.

If you go BasicMed, what prevents you from subsequently getting another medical? It would seem to me that if you operate within the BasicMed rules, there's no reason to pay for a continued medical unless or until you need one.

JKG

Just curious to know but if a person still wants to go sport pilot but would like a more thorough determination than simply self certification that he or she is fit to fly, could they use BasicMed (physical and medical education course only) and still go sport pilot without getting the initial 3rd class medical if they never done the FAA medical before?
If they've never done the initial 3rd class, or if their last valid medical expired before July 16, 2006, then they're not eligible for certification under Basic Med. They can always go sport pilot as long as they weren't denied an FAA medical. And they can always do any kind of physical they want, including following the Basic Med CMEC checklist. It just won't count as a Basic Med certification.

I don't recall now whether you have to enter your last medical date when you sign up for the course, so I can't say for sure whether you can take it or not. I should *think* you can still take it, after all it's intended to enhance aviation safety. But I don't really know if the system permits it.

FWIW, I've been flying under Basic Med all summer (at least until I found out my hand was broken) and it's a pretty good fit for my flying as well. It would be nice to have the option to fly to Canada sometime, but I'm not in a big hurry there.

Why not just take the Dr.'s checklist with you during a normal physical exam? If your doc says all items there are okay, then you meet the BasicMed Standard.

But being a little familiar with your history (at least what you have shared on the Red Board and here), I don't recall you sharing with us that you had passed a Third Class. Did that happen and I missed it?

Remember, that for BasicMed to be available to the airman, he or she must have held a Third Class medical (or better) within the past 10 years.

If you go BasicMed, what prevents you from subsequently getting another medical?
Nothing.

If you are on BasicMed now, and later wish to return to Third, Second, or First, you can do so as long as you meet the standards of the medical class you are applying for.

And a Basic Med pilot can electric to forego any med tests in the future and go Light Sport.

Nothing.

If you are on BasicMed now, and later wish to return to Third, Second, or First, you can do so as long as you meet the standards of the medical class you are applying for.

Why not just take the Dr.'s checklist with you during a normal physical exam? If your doc says all items there are okay, then you meet the BasicMed Standard.

But being a little familiar with your history (at least what you have shared on the Red Board and here), I don't recall you sharing with us that you had passed a Third Class. Did that happen and I missed it?

Remember, that for BasicMed to be available to the airman, he or she must have held a Third Class medical (or better) within the past 10 years.

No I never went in for my medical.

Then would my original response of taking with BasicMed checklist with you answer your question?

Yes your original response answered my question, thank you! When I asked if a person could use BasicMed for sport pilot I already knew BasicMed was not intended for sport pilot. What I really wanted to know is if one could use parts of BasicMed like a BasicMed physical, etc. to make a more informed decision about flying sport pilot even if that pilot would not satisfy the requirements of BasicMed by going for sport pilot.

The basic med physical will not tell a pilot if he would pass the third class or higher.

If a pilot manages to NOT pass the basic med physical that does tell him to not go for the third class or higher.

If they've never done the initial 3rd class, or if their last valid medical expired before July 16, 2006, then they're not eligible for certification under Basic Med. They can always go sport pilot as long as they weren't denied an FAA medical. And they can always do any kind of physical they want, including following the Basic Med CMEC checklist. It just won't count as a Basic Med certification.

I don't recall now whether you have to enter your last medical date when you sign up for the course, so I can't say for sure whether you can take it or not. I should *think* you can still take it, after all it's intended to enhance aviation safety. But I don't really know if the system permits it.
Anyone can take the course. You don't fill out the form with your personal info until after you completed the course and passed the quiz.

Do people prep the PCP? Or just show up and hand him the form and see if he'll sign?
I talked to my PCP about it last fall to see if it would be something he would be willing to do. When the exam form came out in April, I called the office to schedule my annual physical and told the secretary about BasicMed and that I was hoping to have that exam done at the same time. I'm not sure what she told my doctor but he had no problem with it when I got there.

Do people prep the PCP? Or just show up and hand him the form and see if he'll sign?
When I had my annual Medicare physical last February, I summarized the BasicMed program for my PCP, and he asked for a copy of the form when it was finalized. When he saw the FAA's recommended reading list in the physician instructions section, he came to the conclusion that he would not have time to acquire the knowledge he felt he would need to sign the statement at the end of the form. I ended up getting it done by the AME who issued my last 3rd class medical certificate.

The basic med physical will not tell a pilot if he would pass the third class or higher.

If a pilot manages to NOT pass the basic med physical that does tell him to not go for the third class or higher.

So there are no cases where someone might not qualify for BasicMed, but could obtain a Special Issuance medical certificate?

JKG

So there are no cases where someone might not qualify for BasicMed, but could obtain a Special Issuance medical certificate?
JKG

That is possible. But failing a basic med (although "falling" might not be the correct description) let's a pilot know it's not going to be smooth.

I don't think a failed basic med is reported to anyone, so taking one has no effect one way or the other on a third class medical, other than info for the pilot.

That is possible. But failing a basic med (although "falling" might not be the correct description) let's a pilot know it's not going to be smooth.

From the comments I've read online, I suspect that many pilots interested in BasicMed are interested specifically because they may not pass an aviation medical without hassle. I get all of that, but I did want to clarify that an inability to meet the requirements of BasicMed doesn't necessarily mean that you're permanently grounded.

As for not passing the BasicMed CMEC, I'm not sure how the FAA would know unless the pilot self-reported, and I don't think there's an official vehicle to do that. I'm not sure what happens if you repeatedly fail to pass the course, though.

JKG

Howdy - my III Class (not a SI) expires last day of September; I took some time with the AOPA web site this AM, and I'm not seeing a downside to BasicMed for my situation. . .below 6K gross weight, five pax or less, under 18K feet - that'll describe my aviation world as I move into retirement in the not too distant future.

I brought it up with my primary, and he sees it as just another of similar kinds of exams/forms he completes for other patients, no big deal. Insurance doesn't care, either.

Anyone see any downsides to this, considering the situation I've described?

Not looking for self-righteous opinions about visiting my Doctor regularly, etc. - I'm all grown up, can manage my own medical care. And my primary is a far better informed as to my health than a medical-mill AME. . .

Just any practical issues? I don't have flying-for-pay in my future, either.

Sounds like a smart move on your part.

From the comments I've read online, I suspect that many pilots interested in BasicMed are interested specifically because they may not pass an aviation medical without hassle. I get all of that, but I did want to clarify that an inability to meet the requirements of BasicMed doesn't necessarily mean that you're permanently grounded.

As for not passing the BasicMed CMEC, I'm not sure how the FAA would know unless the pilot self-reported, and I don't think there's an official vehicle to do that. I'm not sure what happens if you repeatedly fail to pass the course, though.

JKG

And I'm sure all the people who support the 4th amendment are just worried about the government finding something in their home and the hassle too right? :rolleyes:

...I don't think a failed basic med is reported to anyone, so taking one has no effect one way or the other on a third class medical, other than info for the pilot.
Under most circumstances, the way the law is written, I don't think it would matter whether a failed BasicMed exam was reported to anyone or not. The only exception I can think of is that if the pilot's last FAA medical certificate was still valid, then the report could conceivably lead the FAA to revoke the certificate, which would make the pilot ineligible for BasicMed.

My class III doesn't expire until 4/18, but I brought the subject up to my PCP in June. He said he would have to call his insurance co for guidance. He wasn't sure if he was
taking any kind of extra risk by signing the form. I usually see him first, then head over to the DME with a letter from him. Kinda sounds like the same risk to me.

JKG
That is definitely not the case. The Basic Med rule explicitly allows for the possibility of a one-time SI as a route into Basic Med for pilots who would otherwise be disqualified because they develop certain psychiatric, cardiovascular, or neurological conditions. If someone has a heart attack they aren't eligible for Basic Med, but many will be able to get through the SI process and then go Basic Med once the SI expires.

I get all of that, but I did want to clarify that an inability to meet the requirements of BasicMed doesn't necessarily mean that you're permanently grounded.
That's my understanding too. If the state licensed physician conducts the exam, but finds something that keeps him from signing the form, then you're still under doctor patient confidentiality and nothing gets reported to the Fed. So jeopardy in any form is not attached.

If someone has a heart attack they aren't eligible for Basic Med, but many will be able to get through the SI process and then go Basic Med once the SI expires.

Exactly what I'm doing right now, working with Dr Bruce to get the one time Si, then can go BasicMed after that.

Back