Going back to class 2/3 after basic med?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Currently have a Class 3 with a sleep apnea SI. No problems maintaining it. But I’m looking at going to Basic Med this fall. If, in the next few years, I get my commercial and need the class 2, how big a deal is it to go back to the SI? My most recent letter from FAA extended the SI for another 6 years, so this fall I’ll have 5 years left on it. Would it be just a matter of showing up at my AME with a current status report and 12 months of CPAP compliance data and getting the class 2 physical (as long as I do it within the next 5 years)? What about after that 6 year SI expiration date?

If you’re talking about just earning your commercial pilot certificate you don’t need a 2nd class medical to do that. You can take the check ride under basic med. You would only need the 2nd class to exercise the privileges of a commercial certificate.

If you’re talking about just earning your commercial pilot certificate you don’t need a 2nd class medical to do that. You can take the check ride under basic med. You would only need the 2nd class to exercise the privileges of a commercial certificate.
Right, that's what I'm checking on. Doing something with the commercial would require the class 2. Going back to a medical after basic med, what happens if you used to have an SI?

In your last authroization letter, Matt, what is the date cited in parargraph 3, "thsi authorization shall be effective until it expires on ____, 3X, 202X?

In your last authroization letter, Matt, what is the date cited in parargraph 3, "thsi authorization shall be effective until it expires on ____, 3X, 202X?
"Nov 30, 2028"

I just got the fresh renewal after my last medical, and it was extended an additional 6 years.

So just provide whatever is sez for your condition, take to the AMe and he issues (if it's an AME assissted SI) or submit the docs and wait for the certificate if it's not.

(There are some uncommon "RS24" auth's that allow Field reissuance for the first "off year" but it's much less common).

So just provide whatever is sez for your condition, take to the AMe and he issues (if it's an AME assissted SI) or submit the docs and wait for the certificate if it's not.

(There are some uncommon "RS24" auth's that allow Field reissuance for the first "off year" but it's much less common).
OK - thanks. That makes sense, but it's a question/scenario that I haven't seen before.

Keep in mind the LOA is for a specific class. In other words, if your LOA was for a Third Class then you will need a new LOA for a Second Class.

This BS is why I went BasicMed…

Keep in mind the LOA is for a specific class. In other words, if your LOA was for a Third Class then you will need a new LOA for a Second Class.

This BS is why I went BasicMed…
this is where a good AME makes a difference. One phone call and he can issue (You have to have one to know that....) Matthew knows he can't fly for hire on a 3rd. Completely differente situation.

this is where a good AME makes a difference. One phone call and he can issue (You have to have one to know that....) Matthew knows he can't fly for hire on a 3rd. Completely differente situation.

I believe you. I hope you see that your comment just illustrates what a joke FAA Aeromedical is…

BTW, at the time (over 6 years ago) the Regional Flight Surgeon’s office affirmed this…

Back