Going around

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
This weekend I went flying with a CFI and we took on R 35 at Danbury with a pretty good crosswind. For 35, you have at least a 1 mile final between two hills that rise up on each side of you blocking the wind, with a swamp at the bottom that sucks you down just as the crosswind hits. Then you cross a road that produces lift and you cross the chainlink fence bordering the threshold. Anyway, I love that approach because it is such a challenge and requires complete attention to details.

There were 2 planes also on final behind when I ended up a little fast over the swamp, caught the updraft, and floated halfway down the runway before making the final decision to not push the landing. I climbed out, and about 500 feet up, told tower I was going around. I was over the departure threshold at the time.

I'd been cleared for the option and my previous landings were touch and go. It was obvious I was not landing. Was the call to tower the right thing to do?

This weekend I went flying with a CFI and we took on R 35 at Danbury with a pretty good crosswind. For 35, you have at least a 1 mile final between two hills that rise up on each side of you blocking the wind, with a swamp at the bottom that sucks you down just as the crosswind hits. Then you cross a road that produces lift and you cross the chainlink fence bordering the threshold. Anyway, I love that approach because it is such a challenge and requires complete attention to details.

There were 2 planes also on final behind when I ended up a little fast over the swamp, caught the updraft, and floated halfway down the runway before making the final decision to not push the landing. I climbed out, and about 500 feet up, told tower I was going around. I was over the departure threshold at the time.

I'd been cleared for the option and my previous landings were touch and go. It was obvious I was not landing. Was the call to tower the right thing to do?

It wasn't wrong, it was unnecessary.

The tower controller probably knew what was going on.

The call certainly helped the SA of other pilots in the pattern, if any.

For those unfamiliar, "cleared for the option" gives the pilot the option of any of the following:
  • Landing ("full stop")
  • Touch and go
  • Stop and go
  • Low approach
  • Missed approach
...without further discussion with the tower. Since a low approach (which is what she ended up doing) was one of the choices given her when she was cleared for the option, there was no requirement for Aunt Peggy to say she was going around -- it's tower's responsibility to make sure none of those options will result in a loss of runway separation before clearing her for the option.

For those unfamiliar, "cleared for the option" gives the pilot the option of any of the following:
  • Landing ("full stop")
  • Touch and go
  • Stop and go
  • Low approach
  • Missed approach
...without further discussion with the tower. Since a low approach (which is what she ended up doing) was one of the choices given her when she was cleared for the option, there was no requirement for Aunt Peggy to say she was going around -- it's tower's responsibility to make sure none of those options will result in a loss of runway separation before clearing her for the option.

Thanks, nicely explained. I learned something today. :D

I love DXR! Just about every approach has some kind of obstruction/terrain to deal with on final. Left traffic for 26 over the hills is quite interesting, especially at night!

I've been to DXR once and flew right traffic for 26. Nice downhill hugging approach after clearing the hill on short final. I'm going to have to go back some time when 35 will be in use, looks like a very cool approach.

• Landing ("full stop")
  • Touch and go
  • Stop and go
  • Low approach
  • Missed approach
Thank you for explaining that!

OK, for you tight lipped types answer me this...
After you were cleared for the option the controller is on the landline coordinating a low inverted pass by the Blue Angels and as he finally turns around (you are 500' above the control tower and out of sight) you are not on the runway... He leans over and scans the taxiways, nope not there either... Spins around and looks for a plume of smoke a half mile from the approach end, nope no smoke...
So what is your problem with talking to the poor, confused, controller?

Push the darn button and "say intentions"...
jeez......

Ya did good, Peggy...

OK, for you tight lipped types answer me this...
After you were cleared for the option the controller is on the landline coordinating a low inverted pass by the Blue Angels and as he finally turns around (you are 500' above the control tower and out of sight) you are not on the runway... He leans over and scans the taxiways, nope not there either... Spins around and looks for a plume of smoke a half mile from the approach end, nope no smoke...
Not my problem.

So what is your problem with talking to the poor, confused, controller?

Push the darn button and "say intentions"...
If asked, absolutely. But there's no realy need to do that otherwise, and if the controller really is busy, then you've just added to his/her business. And as a practical matter, they usually ask what you want next long before that.

Along similar lines, I recently heard (possibly a rumor) that the tower is now required to send the FAA information about all go arounds. Is this true? If so, would a low pass be a go around and be required to be reported?

Pilots at my home drome are getting skittish about this.

Along similar lines, I recently heard (possibly a rumor) that the tower is now required to send the FAA information about all go arounds. Is this true? If so, would a low pass be a go around and be required to be reported?

I haven't heard that, sounds like a rumor.

I wonder why the FAA would care. :shrug: It's a balked landing, something wasn't right (controls set wrong, wind gust at the wrong time, too fast on approach, animals, it could be a million things) and the pilot felt the need to try it again.

It's a safety issue, and the pilot IN COMMAND determined that it wasn't safe to land.

Seems to me they would not want to discourage a go-around -- which having them reported to the FAA would definitely do. Plus at some places, for example maybe I69, it would probably generate a crushing burden of paperwork.

Pilots at my home drome are getting skittish about this.

Air Carriers (Part 121) are suppose to report go arounds of their aircraft to the FAA. This is usually done via company dispatchers.

Back