Goin' to Amana

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Jann and I are flying to Amana tomorrow. We'll land on the 2600ft turf at C11.

I think the idea got in my head because WTTW (PBS) is featuring the Tribune's travel guy Monday talking about midwest destinations and they showed a picture of the Amana train depot. http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-gv81tum3n.30jun26,1,7372129.story?coll=chi-travel-hed

When I told her the plan I checked what play they're doing at the Old Creamery Theater, where we caught "Once Upon a Mattress" on the last visit. It's the last performance of "Nunsense." Guess what Jann's favorite musical is (she wants to do one of the parts)? Guess which musical's soundtrack she bought yesterday? She ordered the last 2 tickets they had seated together. I'm thinking we just entered the twilight zone.

One concern is there's no taxi service, it's going to be ungodly HOT as it seems to be every time we visit, and it's over a mile walk from the airport to the theater: http://www.oldcreamery.com/map_directions.html The airport is near the Depot.

We'll have lunch on the way over. I'll bring my Camelbak. I guess it's not going to be much worse than any given day at Oshkosh.

Last edited:
It was more like 3 miles from the airport to the theater. You know those little squares you fly over all the time in the Midwest? They're about a mile on a side!

It's tough to spot which of those fields is an airport. I made one circle after I passed the airport at first.

It was smooth above 3000 feet. There was haze that went from light to very heavy. At some points we crossed little gray-walled fronts that had tiny clouds on top at about 6000 feet.

In spite of the usual "I can't believe how many little time wasters we have to deal with. When are we going to launch?" deal, we made it in time to have a "Good food. Amana Family Style" lunch of Wiener Schnitizle with the 10 sides including ham and two versions of kraut.

It didn't hurt too much until the early part of the walk afterwards. The tummy passed the message that it was busy.

Nunsense was good. We managed to beg a ride back from a friendly staff member.

Here's some pictures from the Amana trip. This view of the train depot is barely 1000 feet from the runway. Jann at the Amana airport, and as I equip her when we land late and I need a runway edge marker.

mikea said:
Here's some pictures from the Amana trip. This view of the train depot is barely 1000 feet from the runway. Jann at the Amana airport, and as I equip her when we land late and I need a runway edge marker.
Amana is always such a nice trip...it may be a tad early but I always remember the fresh squueze3d apple cider out there.... : -)

Back