Goal 1 Reached! PPL Checkride Passed!

Amsirahc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Amsirahc
I passed my private pilot checkride this past Sunday! Huzzah!

<My short story for those who like to read>
If anyone has read any of my previous posts, you'll know that it took me quite a long time to solo (medical delay and a 6-month no-fly COVID break). It took me 2 months to be able to take the checkride (scheduling, weather, etc.). I'm proud to say that this past Sunday was the absolute best day to do it as well. High-altitude overcast sky, cool and smooth air, super nice DPE, and a decent amount of air traffic to demonstrate communication, safety procedures, and right-of-way (I know it wasn't, but it almost felt staged).

The oral and practical was a piece of cake compared to what I thought it was going to be. The DPE was the absolute nicest person I've ever met, extremely knowledgeable, and made the overall experience feel like I knew him my entire life and was just having an everyday aviation chat (even though I just met him 10 minutes before the exam). We hit the sky, went through the first couple checkpoints in the plan, set forth with the maneuvers, and continued our earlier discussions.

I'm planning on moving onto instrument rating, then hopefully multi-engine and commercial within the next couple of years. Might grab a seaplane rating down the road, but that can wait for now. I have a long list of family, friends, and co-workers that want to go for rides, so banking hours is going to be cake. I'll probably start looking into buying a plane, because the rentals around here aren't the most luxurious things. I have semi-handicapped family members, so will probably be looking at a Cessna 177 (even though I'm more of a low-wing guy). I might start up another thread for recommendations.

Finally, thank you all for the support and advice over the past couple years. This really is the best community.

Exactly. The DPE was just doing his or her job. DPEs are not supposed to be the enemy - they are just there to verify your understanding and absorption of your training. (and though they are not suppose to overtly teach, everyone learns at least one thing from a DPE).

Congrats btw!

Congrats! One thing I found interesting is that an amazing number of people that were excited to go for flights when it’s theoretical, suddenly have better things to do once it’s a reality.

Congratulations for your accomplishment and sticking with it.

The day after I passed my checkride, I had friends standing in line for a flight. On the other hand, my wife wouldn't fly with me for over a year. When she finally did, and we landed at the end of the flight, I asked why. She said, "I thought you'd fly the way you drive."

Congrats man, very exciting! I just passed my check ride on Saturday. What a great feeling, I’m happy for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the kind words!

Congrats! One thing I found interesting is that an amazing number of people that were excited to go for flights when it’s theoretical, suddenly have better things to do once it’s a reality.

I'm absolutely not stopping! I will never understand some people, but that's definitely not me! Now that it's reality, it just makes things much more exciting. When I was grounded during the early COVID days, I would stand outside and shake my fist at all the planes flying over my house like an old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn because he's jealous of them having fun! LOL

I live near a popular VFR location for our area between a handful of airports, so that probably served as a good motivation source. I'm not easily discouraged. :)

Congrats man, very exciting! I just passed my check ride on Saturday. What a great feeling, I’m happy for you!

What a great feeling indeed. Congrats to you too!

Thank you all for the kind words!

I'm absolutely not stopping! I will never understand some people, but that's definitely not me! Now that it's reality, it just makes things much more exciting. When I was grounded during the early COVID days, I would stand outside and shake my fist at all the planes flying over my house like an old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn because he's jealous of them having fun! LOL

I live near a popular VFR location for our area between a handful of airports, so that probably served as a good motivation source. I'm not easily discouraged. :)

What a great feeling indeed. Congrats to you too!
You missed my meaning. When I was training, I had dozens of folks saying they wanted to fly with me. When I was ready to take them, more than half, suddenly were “busy” every time I offered.

You missed my meaning. When I was training, I had dozens of folks saying they wanted to fly with me. When I was ready to take them, more than half, suddenly were “busy” every time I offered.

I have people say to me all the time "I want to go for a ride". I'll give them a call and they're always busy, or some excuse. If I ask 3 times and get turned down, I don't ask any more.

I have people say to me all the time "I want to go for a ride". I'll give them a call and they're always busy, or some excuse. If I ask 3 times and get turned down, I don't ask any more.
Same here

Totally this.

Ah, yeah, now I understand. I fully expected a couple handfuls to end up that way. Thankfully I'm just as content flying solo. I have the "I absolutely know they'll go" and "I'll give them a few attempts" lists. I'm going to be giving charity rides to a family friend who is fighting a losing battle with stage 4 cancer, a close family member who wants to fly one last time around their old stomping grounds before their health goes, a photographer who used to be a pilot but can no longer operate PIC due to health issues, and a handful of others like that. Those are the guarantees (their health permitting of course). Any others are just a bonus.

Congrats Pilot!!

you guys are nice, I give max 2 opportunities to come fly with me. if i hear the excuse 2nd time, i dont ask them anymore.

Exactly. The DPE was just doing his or her job. DPEs are not supposed to be the enemy - they are just there to verify your understanding and absorption of your training. (and though they are not suppose to overtly teach, everyone learns at least one thing from a DPE).

Congrats btw!
yup, to be honest, when I did my commercial, my guy told me up front he was evaluating me, but also my instructor, because what you learn, and how you recall it when you need it. Things like pointing out on a sectional in the air, enroute and asking about airspace. they can tell fast if you've been rushed thru

Back