Go Pro Hero Question

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
I do some instructing. I was thinking of using the Go Pro to record my presentations, which take 6-7 hours. Will the Hero record that long at one time?

I don't own one YET!

I get about 7 hours on my 64gb 10 Series card running 1080p @30fps.

Recording time will vary according to the resolution setting used and the card capacity. Here are the average recording storage times technical data:

HERO2
http://gopro.com/support/articles/recording-time-in-each-video-setting

Hero3
http://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3plus-recording-time-in-each-video-setting

Having said that, once you get the setting that you need for that length of video, you'll need a battery system that will last that long. The GoPro battery system will not last anywhere near that on it's own. There are many options depending on your setup.

In addition to that, the only other thing that I would recommend is a good microphone for the camera, as the stock one is marginal at best. I recommend the Edutige ETM-001.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Be very careful, while the hero can go quite a long time on the memory card (depending on what it is set to), the internal battery won't go that long. Fine if you are powering it from the aircraft power, but not if you're running it autonomously.

I use a Virb Elite. I can get 3+ hours on one battery charge. Sample here: http://youtu.be/sPuwZgA6uDQ

Deltafox, I have to make a comment here. I absolutely LOVE pilots like you, the calming and relaxed way that you not only explain aviation, but introduce someone to flying in a small aircraft. You don't scare the bejesus out of them! Thank you, and one more time, thank you!

Ok jacked thread complete. :)

My GoPro Hero 3 Black has pitiful battery life. 60-90 minutes with the WiFi on so I can actually control it remotely.

For you guys that need to charge while you're recording, remember that we have that adapter, and it's available on our store. :)

OP: Do you really present nonstop for 6 or 7 hours? Seems you could record in smaller chunks.

I've been looking into cameras and if you don't need something right now, you may want to wait to see what GoPro announces in a month for the GoPro 4.

Seeing that the biggest negative with the 3 is the battery life, although it was improved to two hours with with Hero 3+, I would imagine and hope they'll improve even further with the 4, along with whatever else they have in store.

Apparently, GoPro is pretty consistent at announcing the next version in early summer.

OP: Do you really present nonstop for 6 or 7 hours? Seems you could record in smaller chunks.

Good question.
No. Because of the nature of property management, I take 10 minute break every hour for students to make calls and answer emails.
We take 1.5 hour lunch break.

Oh and so they don't get totally bored, they have a out 15 minutes about every 2 hours to answer questions at the end of each chapter topic. This depends on what the subject I am teaching.

What my reason to record is to critique my presentations, and see if there is ways I can make boring subjects more interesting.

And, I want to get student testimonials if possible.

Back