Go Pro failures

I have 4 (yes four!!) Gopro's (Black, 2 Black+'s, and the White) so I'm sure I can help!

Luckily the only time I've had issues is when I neglected to update the software. All glitches were with the Black. One time it would freeze recording (formatting the SD card solved that problem), the other was when it would not turn on unless I removed the battery. This was solved by updating the filmware.

On the White, the date defaults to 1/1/12 00:00AM whenever I remove the battery but I havent updated the firmware on that one at all since i bought it a year ago.

Go pro black,no failures. However don't use it enough.

My first and only is a Hero+3 black edition.. Bought it new on Mar10 2014... Made a test 10 minute video. Then this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Worked perfect..Then

next video stopped recording before I even got to the runway... maybe 3 minutes...

Got back to the hangar and had to pull the battery to shut it off.. Called Go Pro and they said to download the latest firmware.. I did... Camera NEVER would even turn on after that... Called again and you know the rest of the story..... New cam showed up and I recorded a video on the trip down for dinner and then back .. maybe another 40 minutes run time..
Before, a 21 minutes and the battery was down to one bar... new cam did the 40 minute video and still full bars.... So far I am happy ( with the new cam that is)....

Ps.. I did use the Go Pro editing software for that utube video.. it was a steep learning curve but I thought it came out pretty good for a dummy like me..

Last edited:
GoPro Black and a SanDisk memory card. Failed about 20 minutes into a flight I really wanted to record - aerobatics in a P51. Was pretty PO'd at the time. Turns out GoPro knew about the incompatibility with the memory card but didn't do anything to warn customers. I have since moved to the Contour brand. I wish I could say the Contour never fails...

GoPro Black and a SanDisk memory card. Failed about 20 minutes into a flight I really wanted to record - aerobatics in a P51. Was pretty PO'd at the time. Turns out GoPro knew about the incompatibility with the memory card but didn't do anything to warn customers. I have since moved to the Contour brand. I wish I could say the Contour never fails...

Interesting.... When I called Go Pro tech they asked me what card I was using.. I originally bought a 64gig Sandisk card and the tech said those large storage cards will sometimes act funny so I went and bought a 32 gig Sandisk card.. At no time was I warned about the Sandisk issue,, and that phone call was just two weeks ago.... I am starting to not trust the Go Pro staff....

Ps... All the failures I have heard or read about seem to be limited to the Hero3+ Black.. my buddy /computer guy has a Silver and it has NEVER given him one minute of trouble...

I have the hero3 white, no issues besides battery life sucks

To save the battery, I DO NOT use the wifi to control the cam from inside the plane.. I just turn it on after the preflight and off when I get back to the hangar.. My computer buddy even gave me an old Iphone for that task but I have never used it while the camera is on the plane.. We did play a bit with it at his shop and it is really cool to watch what is being recorded in real time.... This technology is damn amazing...:yes:

To save the battery, I DO NOT use the wifi to control the cam from inside the plane.. I just turn it on after the preflight and off when I get back to the hangar.. :

Thanks! Ill try that. :)

Have had many many go pros over the years some glitchy some not. Usually updating the firmware is all it takes. Nothing is more frustrating that doing a landing that you won't repeat finding out 2 of your cameras were frozen. We hang them off remote control helicopters to get shots too and that is frustrating as well here you are out in the remote wilderness and you think you are getting some epic shots, but it turns out you gopro freezes after 20 secs each time.

It really seems like most GoPro related problems have to do with the SD Card. I have a GoPro Hero 2 and bought an extended battery right before my first long student solo XC. I had a Kingston 32GB SD card in it that worked great for about a year. On a flight I really wanted to record a month ago (first actual IMC instrument lesson), it locked up on the first leg of the flight. I had to remove the battery to get it to shut off. On the way back, it stopped recording right as we flew over San Francisco. It's like the GoPro knows when the best time to fail is!

I got a new, very fast SD card, a Lexar 633x 32GB "High-Performance" Micro SD card and used a adapter to fit it in my Hero 2. After about 2.8 hours of recording two different flights, I think I can say the SD card fixed the problem. Also, I reformat the card before every use. I'm not sure that really helps but, it can't hurt!

It really seems like most GoPro related problems have to do with the SD Card. I have a GoPro Hero 2 and bought an extended battery right before my first long student solo XC. I had a Kingston 32GB SD card in it that worked great for about a year. On a flight I really wanted to record a month ago (first actual IMC instrument lesson), it locked up on the first leg of the flight. I had to remove the battery to get it to shut off. On the way back, it stopped recording right as we flew over San Francisco. It's like the GoPro knows when the best time to fail is!

I got a new, very fast SD card, a Lexar 633x 32GB "High-Performance" Micro SD card and used a adapter to fit it in my Hero 2. After about 2.8 hours of recording two different flights, I think I can say the SD card fixed the problem. Also, I reformat the card before every use. I'm not sure that really helps but, it can't hurt!

My son has two go pros. The first he bought and had trouble with it which they and he blamed on slow memory cards. Christmas 2012 I bought him the brand new Hero 3 black and ordered the recommended memory card direct from GoPro at the same time. Same problems. skips frames, freezes etc. If it's memory cards, why does GoPro sell memory cards that don't work?

Not happy Bob.

John

I recently had an issue with a lightly used GoPro where I took it snorkeling for the first time. The waterproof case leaked and destroyed the camera. The company refused to replace or offer any sort of options for fixing. I asked for a manager to contact me and never heard back. Considering it is a cheap plastic camera, I expected a higher quality of customer service.

Back