Go arounds

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I cannot recall who said not too long ago, but we were talking about go arounds and this person had said that they could not recall the last time they had to go around for real. We all were chating here on PoA about it and also how we still practice go arounds. I have done go arounds and I do practice them and today that paid off.

Yesterday, I flew out to Fort Wayne to visit my nieces and my plan was to come home today. A front was moving through last night and was bringing lousy weather that would clear at about 10am local. What was behind the front would be nice, albeit windy so I figured the overnight was the best thing to do.

It is hot here, DA's are new 3000' and the airport in Fort Wayne that I use has sorta short runways. I was happy then this afternoon to have a 15-20 knot wind right down the runway to take off. The bad part was strong head winds the whole way home.

When I got into the Chicago area the winds were reported at 290@24G35

The runway at 10C is 27/09 so at least no icky crosswind. But the approach into runway 27 is over water, then a field and then trees. It can give you a fun ride so I reminded myself to be prepared for a go around in case stuff went bad. I always have that in the back of my head anyways, but this time I was thinking that the landing was going to be work all the way to the fuel pumps, so be on top of my game.

I set up for a 1.5NM final to get all aligned and get a good feel for the wind and gusts. I controlled the descent with a nice 500fpm rate, IAS was 75knots, and at a short final things went bad, worse, really crappy. I got hit with a couple of side gusts, the right wing went up and then down, I was in a right bank, no longer aligned and was about 200' AGL. It was gonna take a miracle to pull this off. So I said ENOUGH! full power, arrest descent rate, take up a notch of flaps, positive rate, climbing, take out the rest of the flaps, TALK: "Galt Traffic 8116B going around"

The turn to crosswind was at a heading of 225 and my ground track was 180, turning to downwind the GS was 122knots while my IAS was 80 knots. Final IAS was 75knots but the GS was 45knots

Set up for it a 2nd time and nailed the approach and landing. Was getting 15-20kts IAS while taxing after landing!

A friend had landed just before me and we were chatting about the go around. Bottom line, no shame in going around, better than trying to salvage a lousy situation and bending metal.

And that was my flight today. I earned my pay. ;)

That was probably me. I hadn't done a go around since 2003 - until a week or so ago. Got night current in the Comanche, then took dad up for a quick flight in it. Left the pattern, shut off the landing lights, flew around, turned on the runway lights, getting ready to land, something doesnt seem right. Why is it so dark? Derrrrrr....landing lights. So I went around.

I'm still double extra paranoid about the gear being down, I didnt flip the landing lights back on when I did the GUMPS.

You probably earned more than your "pay".

I can't remember the last time I did a go around because the landing wasn't working out but it was probably when I was learning to land a biplane (my first taildragger)

I did have to do a go around for real the last time I flew the Baron though, because the pilot who landed in front of me decided to taxi to the far end of the runway at walking speed for the last 2000 feet, even after the tower told him there was a Baron on short final.

Good call Scott.

I saw a Cub go on the nose today, when a pilot braked too hard to try and make a turn off. Pretty sad to do so much damage when it was totally avoidable. The next turn off was 200' further up.

Better to go around than pick up pieces off the runway.

Last edited:
I did a go-around at Gaston's <g>. Or was it a low runway check?

Misjudged how fast a Cessna in front of me was going; thought I gave him time, but we was about mid-runway when I went around.

In the last year, I'll bet I did 5 or 6. Most memorable was when a jet departed opposite direction off an uncontrolled field in Alabama without making a radio call right toward me when I was on short final.

Best,

Dave

I can't remember the last time I did a go around because the landing wasn't working out but it was probably when I was learning to land a biplane (my first taildragger)
The last one I did where the landing wasn't working out was in 2005 on a windy night in a Beech Sierra I had little time in. The wind was being weird. I didn't feel ahead of the airplane and something just didn't feel right.

The "something" not feeling right was all I needed to give it another go.

I got the fuel pump switch, but not the landing light switch.

My last "non-practice" go around was in September of 2006. Our very own Cap'n Jack was along for the ride. Decent crosswinds with some gusts. First landing of the day and (much like Jesse) something just didn't feel right. I felt behind the plane. That was enough for me...go around. Came back. Lined up. Nailed it. I was very happy with my decision.

I go through spells, none required for years, then one a month!
"Da-ad! Don't bounce the Viking!! Zoom, we outta heah"

May last 2 real go arounds happened at 6Y9. For some reason, I just couldn't get the plane down where I wanted it for landing.

Richard blamed it on my radio work. Maybe it was. It might have been because back then, 6Y9 was freaking short, and I'd never landed on that short of a strip before. LOL.

I might say, I do low passes more than many folks. If I'm headed into a new field that has challenges (for instance, a steep incline with obstacles on each end), I set up to land, but completely intend to do a low pass. As others have said, if things just don't look or feel right, I complete the low pass. If they all come together in a manner that leads to a normal landing: I go ahead and land.

There's just no sense if forcing the plane in, 'specially into a new field with challenges.

Best,

Dave

The last one I did where the landing wasn't working out was in 2005 on a windy night in a Beech Sierra I had little time in. The wind was being weird. I didn't feel ahead of the airplane and something just didn't feel right.

The "something" not feeling right was all I needed to give it another go.

i remember that night.

I did a go-around at Gaston's <g>. Or was it a low runway check?
I don't know what it was, other than impressive. based on the speed and noise when you flew over the tents.

Misjudged how fast a Cessna in front of me was going; thought I gave him time, but we was about mid-runway when I went around.

Best,

Dave

You will seldom go wrong estimating how slow Citations move around the traffic pattern. I figure their pattern speed is roughly Aerostar X .8.

I never practiced them much, but didn't have to... did them for real often enough. :D As they say, "a motion to adjourn is always in order"... I'm never embarrassed to go around, even if it's my own stupid fault.
It should be interesting to see, in the long run, what effect my glider time will have on the frequency of my powered go-arounds (only landed with power once since I started, and that was a PA-32, which "doesn't count", LOL). With rare exceptions, there ain't no second chances with a glider, so the level of attentiveness has to go way, way up on the approach, starting with the point of entry into the pattern.

I did one a few months back at Twin Oaks in San Antonio. It's a tight fit, and I was landing uphill but slightly downwind. Like the others have said, something on final just didn't look or feel right. I prolly could have salvaged it by why create drama? Go around, get sorted out, take a few breaths and bada-bing we're down safe.

Here's another thought: why get really good at salvaging bad landings when you can go around and get really good at making good landings? :D

My go-arounds fall into two categories, the ones I actually did, and the ones I should have.

The last one I actually did was at 3DA on my first XC of the season last year. I was all set up on final for 36 but my ground speed felt too fast, so I pushed the throttle in and tried to get a look at the windsock. Sure enough the wind was from the NW so I stayed on 36 and tried again, and this time, I nailed it... well I landed anyway. :)

The last one I should have done but didn't was last fall at 3W2 with a non-pilot friend. I misjudged base-to-final and to make matters worse, got hit with a strong crosswind gust on short final. I was hurting with ear block and determined to get down, so I wrestled the plane back to the centre line and landed, very smoothly I might add. It was only when I was taxiing to parking that I kicked myself for being an idiot, realising it would have made a lot more sense to climb back up to altitude and clear my ears. As an aside to my friend later, I said that I hadn't used the best judgment in that landing, that would have been safer to go around, and that next time I would. Her reply? "Gosh, I thought that was a very nice landing. I wish you hadn't told me that."

Final lesson of the flight: don't confess judgment errors to your pax... if they didn't know you made a mistake, telling them will make them even more nervous.

Several years ago I was returning from a trip to Boston with a friend and fellow pilot. We were passengers on a commercial flight. I was sitting in a window seat and looking out the window while we were on approach to the Detroit Metro airport.

I don't know what made me think of it but I looked over at my friend and I said "hey have you ever done a go around on a commercial flight?". Within a minute of my saying that I heard the engines spool up and we started climbing.

Shortly afterward the captain announced that something was on the runway and he had to abort the landing so we were going around. Am I psychic, was it Deja Vu or just some strange coincidence that made me think of that just before it happened. Well since I can't predict anything of any importance my guess is I'm not psychic.

Jean

I had a commercial flight into SAV go around two consecutive approaches. The first time the captain didn't say anything, the second time he came on the intercom and said "Sorry for the inconvenience, but we will be going around for another landing, air traffic control vectored us to the wrong vector."

?

Matt

I do most of my go-arounds in early Spring trying to shake off all the rust accumulated in the winter months. Fortunately, the Free Bird is so easily landed that I rarely have to practice them once current.

Had a couple this year:

First was a go-around at Stockton, MO last Winter. Ground speed "felt" too high, and I started wondering just how much real estate I had already passed up; decided to go back up and look. I had already sold too much.

Second was at Bolivar late Spring. Nice and smooth until very short final: Less than 30 feet AGL, got a balloon from an errant gust of wind, just lifted me right up in the air. Didn't bother looking at the airspeed--didn't need to. I could tell that all of a sudden, my GS was the same, but airspeed had jumped. Shoved it forward, adjusted my attitude, got up plenty of speed, lift, vertical speed, went back and tried it again with chirp/chirp...chirp at the end.

My last "non-practice" go around was in September of 2006. Our very own Cap'n Jack was along for the ride. Decent crosswinds with some gusts. First landing of the day and (much like Jesse) something just didn't feel right. I felt behind the plane. That was enough for me...go around. Came back. Lined up. Nailed it. I was very happy with my decision.
I remember that- first flight in NE just after I came out here!

I estimate that I do 2 or 3 go arounds a year- but I probably don't fly as much as I really should so the rust comes back quickly. It's usually the days I push the comfort zone back out a little I do go arounds It seems 10-15 knot crosswinds (or stronger down the runway) tend to get me to go around first try. I'm still getting used to hovering a C-150 to the runway in the Nebraska tradewinds.

Contrary to a statement in an earlier post, I think there are times when "salvaging" the landing is a better option than a go around, particularly when the decision occurs after touching down. One pretty obvious situation would be when there's potentially insufficient room to get airborne and clear any obstacles ahead, but another came to my attention when a friend died attempting a go around from the runway at night in marginal weather.

Contrary to a statement in an earlier post, I think there are times when "salvaging" the landing is a better option than a go around, particularly when the decision occurs after touching down. One pretty obvious situation would be when there's potentially insufficient room to get airborne and clear any obstacles ahead, but another came to my attention when a friend died attempting a go around from the runway at night in marginal weather.
There is something to say for having the ability to salvage a landing. I know I've seen some pilots that are "go-around" happy and seem to do it constantly. The reason they go-around so much is because teh landing must meet their exact profile and if it is slightly off the only thing they know how to do is go-around instead of fixing it. As you noted -- a go-around isn't always the best option if it you can fix it. Generally if you can it isn't a salvage -- it is just something you correct for without thought.

There certainly are exceptions to every rule, and those are two good examples. I would never say there are no situations where you are better off on the ground, even when the landing is clearly not going to end well.

I like to go around before touching down, preferring to not touch down unless I know I "have it made". There shouldn't be a "roll the dice" feeling as you cross the threshold. If there is, you have already screwed up. If you have touched down and are still uncertain, the first option to explore should be a go-around (assuming, of course, that it won't be riskier than going along for the ride and trying to make the most of it, in that particular situation).

Which is not to say I have never gone around after touchdown... bouncing a landing, for example. I thought I'd put that sort of thing behind me until I tried to learn to do wheel landings in a taildragger. :D There is a situation that generally requires a go-around! My tailwheel instructor really took a shine to me when I showed a willingness to go around after a bounce. :D

He was not pleased with any of my attempts to wring a safe landing out of something like that, even when I got away with it. I once bounced off a wheel landing on a solo flight and had lost enough energy to just ease it on into a good 3-pointer (lots of runway and favorable winds)... I was quite pleased with myself, but when I told him about it he shook his head and chuckled. "You really shouldn't do that..."
But of course his goal with me was to show me how to avoid that in the first place, even if it meant going around before touching down. His tutelage and my own experiences flirting with the ends or sides of runways after trying to manhandle a plane that I had landed improperly, taught me to be proud of a decision to abort an approach, let alone a landing.

So my assertion is a general one: it is usually better to fix what's wrong before you are committed to the landing than after you have committed yourself and failed to do what you were trying to do.
Getting back to the glider thing, and what it can teach power pilots: I've already made one solo glider landing where I really, really, wished I could have gone around. I did not have that option, of course, but I am still kicking myself over that approach.
The fact that I did not have that option doesn't excuse me any more than the fact that I got the glider on the ground in one piece. Whatever skill or courage I showed in doing so is absolutely worthless compared to flying the approach that is correct for the plane, runway, and conditions. I believe this philosophy applies to all flying.

Last edited:
I like to go around before touching down, preferring to not touch down unless I know I "have it made". There shouldn't be a "roll the dice" feeling as you cross the threshold. If there is, you have already screwed up. If you have touched down and are still uncertain, the first option to explore should be a go-around (assuming, of course, that it won't be riskier than going along for the ride and trying to make the most of it, in that particular situation)
The thing to remember -- is that a "roll the dice" feeling can go away if you get better. You might not get better if you don't push into the "rolling" of the dice. Push too far and die. Your mileage may vary.

I thought I'd put that sort of thing behind me until I tried to learn to do wheel landings in a taildragger. :D There is a situation that generally requires a go-around! My tailwheel instructor really took a shine to me when I showed a willingness to go around after a bounce. :D
This reminds me of my first attempt to learn wheel landings in a taildragger which was about 30 years ago when I had maybe 100 hours. I had a pretty new CFI and I may have been her first taildragger student. I think I was a little too aggressive at trying to keep the nose down and we bounced really hard. I told her I was going around, which I did. Then I noticed that we were not climbing much. I think we just barely made it around the pattern at a few hundred feet (and this was at sea level). That was the first time I had ever seen q-tipped props, and I did it so symmetrically that there was no engine vibration. Anyway, in that case we were probably only lucky that it was a successful go-around. In another life we would have been in the mud flats next to Oakland Airport.

This reminds me of my first attempt to learn wheel landings in a taildragger which was about 30 years ago when I had maybe 100 hours. I had a pretty new CFI and I may have been her first taildragger student. I think I was a little too aggressive at trying to keep the nose down and we bounced really hard. I told her I was going around, which I did. Then I noticed that we were not climbing much. I think we just barely made it around the pattern at a few hundred feet (and this was at sea level). That was the first time I had ever seen q-tipped props, and I did it so symmetrically that there was no engine vibration. Anyway, in that case we were probably only lucky that it was a successful go-around. In another life we would have been in the mud flats next to Oakland Airport.

Wow, you musta hit pretty hard... what kind of airplane?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back