Go around

corjulo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Corjulo
This is based on the Martha Vineyard crash thread

What is the opinion on go arounds. One instructor says do not add full power, because you will be fighting your flaps. Instead, add some power, stabilization the aircraft, loose a notch, add more power.

Others say full power then loose notch of flaps

Opinions.

Last edited:
corjulo said:

What is the opinion on go arounds. One instructor says do not to add full power, because you will be fighting your flaps. Instead, add some power, stabilization the aircraft, loose a notch, add more power.

Opinions.
There is only one thing that will arrest your descent, and that is POWER. Apply POWER (remember to remove Carb heat esp in 100 deg). Then, control trim (as in BIG Cessnas, or you'll lose control ) as you accelerate, lose flaps one increment at a time, and pitch for climb (all near simultaneous). Then remember to suck in the gear (unless it's a Cessna 337, in which case you leave it hanging out).

:Don't most manuals say put the coals to her? First I've heard of this.
Dave, I suppose we could levitate back to pattern altitude...sigh.

One of my Gaston's regrets was that I never did more than admire your beauteous Bellanca....:-0

Power (all levers forward)
Climb (pitch for proper attitude)
Flaps (pitching to compensate for camber change)
Gear (with positive climb rate)

Power, pitch to climb, [retract] flaps as needed. Gear up [as needed].

I think the key is there is a positive rate of climb [with or without flaps]. I've never done a retract flaps until I WAS gaining.

And to be sure, pitch to climb should be 'normal' takeoff. The usual airspeed indicators need to be used.

corjulo said:
...One instructor says do not add full power...
Opinions.

I've never heard that before. Sounds like really bad advice IMHO. Better to fight the flaps than fight the decent rate. I always add full power for a go around.

bbchien said:
your beauteous Bellanca....:-0

You are generous Dr. Bruce; she has obvious cosmetic faults (but is mechanically tight). Next time perhaps, we enjoy her talents and artistic beauty together?

corjulo said:

What is the opinion on go arounds. One instructor says do not add full power, because you will be fighting your flaps. Instead, add some power, stabilization the aircraft, loose a notch, add more power.

Opinions.

First, I'd check that CFI for other goofy ideas.

Second, unless you have way more power than you need, definitely go with full power. Nothing else will arrest the descent for long, and those flaps will mean your airspeed is decaying quickly so dump half of them as soon as you can after pushing in the throttle and carb heat.

In the meantime you will have to push pretty hard on the yoke to keep the nose from coming way up until you dial in some nose down trim so that should be your next move.

What the other more experienced guys said. Go arounds always get the Tim Allen treatment.

Pitch UP
Power UP
Clean UP
That is what I was taught and it is what I do.

What happens next partly depends upon which type a/c and the loading. F'rinstance, going full power at low AS in the landing configuration may well produce an unexpected moment.

Here's a quick question for any pilot: what pitch change can you expect in this a/c as flaps are deployed fully?

I too have never heard of what that CFI was saying.

Cram, Climb, Clean - the only way. Unless your in an empty Air Tractor or something else with major excess power, use everything you've got, especially at higher DA.

Richard said:
Pitch UP
Power UP
Clean UP
I've got a little problem with that, at that's the big drag rise when you increase the AOA by pitching before you add thrust. You could get so far behind the power curve in that short period that your just-a-bit-later power addition might not overcome it.

What happens next partly depends upon which type a/c and the loading. F'rinstance, going full power at low AS in the landing configuration may well produce an unexpected moment.[emphasis added]
Y'see, that's the thing -- the pitching moment should not be "unexpected." You should know what response to expect from your plane so that you are prepared for it.

Here's a quick question for any pilot: what pitch change can you expect in this a/c as flaps are deployed fully?
...and anyone who can't answer that question (or the one above -- "what pitch change can you expect in this a/c as power is added fully in the landing configuration") shouldn't be flying that airplane without an instructor in the right seat.

Richard said:
Pitch UP
Power UP
Clean UP

I too have never heard of what that CFI was saying.

??? Why would you change pitch before power? With flaps out and low power and low energy, that has a very large potential for eating your lunch, very large.
Throw in the power first and then pitch to establish positive rate while trimming out as necessary, clean to climb flaps accelerate to climb speed and GTFOOT. If it is a simple go around and you are coming back, I wouldn't even pick the gear up.

Anyway as to the instructor who said "don't go full power", here is another example of why people die over simple proceedures, and this guy is instructing. Of course you are fighting the flaps sheesh. That's what you are fighting the flaps with, POWER. The flaps are trying to drag you down and kill you, Power is overcoming that drag taking you to safety in the sky. When something is trying to kill you, you fight it with all the power you have.

ejensen said:
Cram, Climb, Clean - the only way. Unless your in an empty Air Tractor or something else with major excess power, use everything you've got, especially at higher DA.
"Cram, Climb, Clean" -- I never heard that one before, but I like it! And agree with it, of course...

ejensen said:

Even in an empty Air Tractor with excessive power we still operate it the same way.

corjulo said:

I've heard that before. I've flown with an instructor who insisted on it but I would only do it on a long runway with nothing nearby to bang into. I do have to humbly admit though that based on several hundred obstructed mountain runway landings, I have serious anti-authority issues with that go around technique as long as I'm flying planes that don't have enough excess power to hurt me. I'll stiff arm the yoke thankyouverymuch.

corjulo said:

Opinions.

Stay away from the ground. The throttle is the only thing that will reliably make that happen.

Full power (carb heat goes off at the same time)
Start climb or at least arrest the descent rate THEN start dumping flaps carefully. You do not want to dump lift until you have the descent rate under control lest you slam into the ground.
THEN trim the stick pressure off once you're clear of obstacles

My two marbles worth...

There is also the enrichment valve issue on carbureted engines. You are disabling it with partial power

Ron Levy said:
I've got a little problem with that, at that's the big drag rise when you increase the AOA by pitching before you add thrust. You could get so far behind the power curve in that short period that your just-a-bit-later power addition might not overcome it.

Besides unless you're flying something like a Lake, going to full power is going to generate a pitch up so why pull on the yoke at all (let alone before you add enough power to survive it)?

Agreed - pitch before power means you get even MORE pitch up when you add power, increasing the AOA and increasing the chance of a stall wouldn't it?

I like to get ready for the go around on short final by pushing in the carb heat, and having the blue rpm knob all the way in. Then when I decide to do the go around I add full power, stop the decent and begin milking the flaps up. I made the mistake of trying a go around one time with the carb heat out. It was not fun.

Why not add power and carb heat off at the same time? When flying Cessnas I was taught to always grab both knobs if you're pushing 'em forward. I wouldn't want to be fiddling around with carb heat on short final. And I certainly wouldn't want to develop carb ice at that point either. As for trying to climb out using only partial power that's one of the nuttier suggestions I've heard.

RotaryWingBob said:
"Cram, Climb, Clean" -- I never heard that one before, but I like it! And agree with it, of course...

I like this one which is similar but adds a few items.
  • Cram
  • Climb
  • Clean
  • Continue
    • as in fly the missed procedure or simply side step the runway on the go aroound.
  • Cool
    • open the cowl flaps if so equiped.
    • Possibly this step might be repositioned if cooling is an issue with the aircraft type - it normally isn't on my M20C.
  • Call
    • call the missed or the go around...in last place importance wise based on the well known aviate, navigate, communicate.
Len

Beating the proverbial dead horse; from The Airplane Flying Handbook, p. 8-11:
GO-AROUNDS

(REJECTED LANDINGS)

Whenever landing conditions are not satisfactory, a go-around is warranted. There are many factors that can contribute to unsatisfactory landing conditions. Situations such as air traffic control requirements, unexpected appearance of hazards on the runway, overtaking another airplane, wind shear, wake turbulence, mechanical failure and/or an unstabilized approach are all examples of reasons to discontinue a landing approach and make another approach under more favorable conditions. The assumption that an aborted landing is invariably the consequence of a poor approach, which in turn is due to insufficient experience or skill, is a fallacy. The go-around is not strictly an emergency procedure. It is a normal maneuver that may at times be used in an emergency situation. Like any other normal maneuver, the go-around must be practiced and perfected. The flight instructor should emphasize early on, and the student pilot should be made to understand, that the go-around maneuver is an alternative to any approach and/or landing.

Although the need to discontinue a landing may arise at any point in the landing process, the most critical go-around will be one started when very close to the ground. Therefore, the earlier a condition that warrants a go-around is recognized, the safer the go-around/rejected landing will be. The go-around maneuver is not inherently dangerous in itself. It becomes dangerous only when delayed unduly or executed improperly. Delay in initiating the go-around normally stems from two sources: (1) landing expectancy, or set—the anticipatory belief that conditions are not as threatening as they are and that the approach will surely be terminated with a safe landing, and (2) pride—the mistaken belief that the act of going around is an admission of failure—failure to execute the approach properly. The improper execution of the go-around maneuver stems from a lack of familiarity with the three cardinal principles of the procedure: power, attitude, and configuration.

POWER

Power is the pilot’s first concern. The instant the pilot decides to go around, full or maximum allowable takeoff power must be applied smoothly and without hesitation, and held until flying speed and controllability are restored. Applying only partial power in a go-around is never appropriate. [Emphasis added.] The pilot must be aware of the degree of inertia that must be overcome, before an airplane that is settling towards the ground can regain sufficient airspeed to become fully controllable and capable of turning safely or climbing. The application of power should be smooth as well as positive. Abrupt movements of the throttle in some airplanes will cause the engine to falter. Carburetor heat should be turned off for maximum power.

ATTITUDE

Attitude is always critical when close to the ground, and when power is added, a deliberate effort on the part of the pilot will be required to keep the nose from pitching up prematurely. The airplane executing a go-around must be maintained in an attitude that permits a buildup of airspeed well beyond the stall point before any effort is made to gain altitude, or to execute a turn. Raising the nose too early may produce a stall from which the airplane could not be recovered if the go-around is performed at a low altitude.

A concern for quickly regaining altitude during a go-around produces a natural tendency to pull the nose up. The pilot executing a go-around must accept the fact that an airplane will not climb until it can fly, and it will not fly below stall speed. In some circumstances, it may be desirable to lower the nose briefly to gain airspeed. As soon as the appropriate climb airspeed and pitch attitude are attained, the pilot should “rough trim” the airplane to relieve any adverse control pressures. Later, more precise trim adjustments can be made when flight conditions have stabilized.

CONFIGURATION

In cleaning up the airplane during the go-around, the pilot should be concerned first with flaps and secondly with the landing gear (if retractable). When the decision is made to perform a go-around, takeoff power should be applied immediately and the pitch attitude changed so as to slow or stop the descent. After the descent has been stopped, the landing flaps may bepartially retracted or placed in the takeoff position as recommended by the manufacturer. Caution must be used, however, in retracting the flaps. Depending on the airplane’s altitude and airspeed, it may be wise to retract the flaps intermittently in small increments to allow time for the airplane to accelerate progressively as they are being raised. A sudden and complete retraction of the flaps could cause a loss of lift resulting in the airplane settling into the ground. [Figure 8-14 (attached)]

Unless otherwise specified in the AFM/POH, it is generally recommended that the flaps be retracted (at least partially) before retracting the landing gear—for two reasons. First, on most airplanes full flaps produce more drag than the landing gear; and second, in case the airplane should inadvertently touch down as the go-around is initiated, it is most desirable to have the landing gear in the down-and-locked position. After a positive rate of climb is established, the landing gear can be retracted.

When takeoff power is applied, it will usually be necessary to hold considerable pressure on the controls to maintain straight flight and a safe climb attitude. Since the airplane has been trimmed for the approach (a low power and low airspeed condition), application of maximum allowable power will require considerable control pressure to maintain a climb pitch attitude. The addition of power will tend to raise the airplane’s nose suddenly and veer to the left. Forward elevator pressure must be anticipated and applied to hold the nose in a safe climb attitude. Right rudder pressure must be increased to counteract torque and P-factor, and to keep the nose straight. The airplane must be held in the proper flight attitude regardless of the amount of control pressure that is required. Trim should be used to relieve adverse control pressures and assist the pilot in maintaining a proper pitch attitude. On airplanes that produce high control pressures when using maximum power on go-arounds, pilots should use caution when reaching for the flap handle. Airplane control may become critical during this high workload phase.

The landing gear should be retracted only after the initial or rough trim has been accomplished and when it is certain the airplane will remain airborne. During the initial part of an extremely low go-around, the airplane may settle onto the runway and bounce. This situation is not particularly dangerous if the airplane is kept straight and a constant, safe pitch attitude is maintained. The airplane will be approaching safe flying speed rapidly and the advanced power will cushion any secondary touchdown.

If the pitch attitude is increased excessively in an effort to keep the airplane from contacting the runway, it may cause the airplane to stall. This would be especially likely if no trim correction is made and the flaps remain fully extended. The pilot should not attempt to retract the landing gear until after a rough trim is accomplished and a positive rate of climb is established.

Last edited:
Yeah, I left off the Cool and Call. I learned as the 5-Cs. Hadn't heard the Continue. Cooling is critical, especially this time of year on my M20F but not in the 10-15 seconds it take to get to that step.

Ron Levy said:
Gear (with positive climb rate)

Depends on the aircraft. The correct answer is to follow the POH. With some aircraft if it really meant the difference between clearing an obstacle or not this bit of blanket advice would be fatal.

I know for a fact, having done it because my instructor wanted me to, that a Cessna Skyhawk will climb (poorly) on a hot day with full 40 flaps. Not being suicidal, I haven't tried a partial power go around in a Skyhawk, but I don't think it would go so well....

the go around in the DEB;

Get the power in

level the plane and if in ground effect use it

raise gear when controls are positive. (positive rate of cliimb)

Milk the flaps;

get climbing at best rate and it may take time to get there

Early DEBs were very underpowered and the pilot had to deal with go arounds. never be in a rush for being in a rush can kill you.

john J

I don't think you could do a go around in a 172 with 4 notches of flaps. I know it wasn't advised in a Cessna 170.

I've always used the 4 C's... even for IFR missed approaches:
C = Cram it (full power)
C = Clean it up (flaps, gear)
C = Cool it (cowl flaps)
C = Call it (make the radio calls)

Granted on IFR approaches I have a bit more work to do, but only after the 4 C's are complete. These 4 C's shouldn't be confused with Cut, Color, Carat, Clarity. ;-)

Bob Bement said:
I don't think you could do a go around in a 172 with 4 notches of flaps. I know it wasn't advised in a Cessna 170.

I've done it, and I'm not a small man and neither was my instructor. It can be done, but you really have to be patient. I think we saw about 150 fpm. That said, it's certainly not how he was teaching me to do go arounds, he was just showing me it could be done and how to do it. You don't try to pull the nose up, keep the plane level and let it build speed.

Bob Bement said:
The certification rules require that the plane be able to go around with full flaps on a standard day/sea level and maintain a 3.3% climb gradient at max gross (note that any DA above zero eats into and maybe eats all of that). One of the reasons the later 172's were limited to 30 flaps was to raise the max gross from 2300 to 2400, with that test being the limiting factor.

I was taught that as well, for climbs though, not go arounds. I never followed it, didnt make sense, always added power first unless I had plenty of energy already.

Henning said:
??? Why would you change pitch before power? With flaps out and low power and low energy, that has a very large potential for eating your lunch, very large.
Throw in the power first and then pitch to establish positive rate while trimming out as necessary, clean to climb flaps accelerate to climb speed and GTFOOT. If it is a simple go around and you are coming back, I wouldn't even pick the gear up.

Anyway as to the instructor who said "don't go full power", here is another example of why people die over simple proceedures, and this guy is instructing. Of course you are fighting the flaps sheesh. That's what you are fighting the flaps with, POWER. The flaps are trying to drag you down and kill you, Power is overcoming that drag taking you to safety in the sky. When something is trying to kill you, you fight it with all the power you have.

Back