Go around? we don't need no steenking go around

I just jumped back into this discussion. Can someone please provide me the ICAO identifiers for the airports in the discussion?

Just in case anybody wants to actually discuss comparisons of runway data:

Mile High:..................................................... Lukla:
560 feet useable........................................... 1500 ft useable
22% incline...................................................12% incline
Grass surface, mediocre braking........................Paved surface, excellent braking
Useable width, just over a wingspan..................Wide as a parking lot

Note: DA considerations are obviously significant but are a wash for both due to offsetting typical ambient operating temperatures of each location.

OBTW Mr. Krall CFII SEL SES, (What no multi time???? ) Re: Your profile......

It's spelled Amphibian.... NOT Amphibion. If you really flew them, you'd know the difference.....:lol:

It's in deference to Igor.... thanks for the tip.

Yeah, multis and choppers time is in there but, they aren't capable of completing my mission profiles of late, so don't use them much.

I just jumped back into this discussion. Can someone please provide me the ICAO identifiers for the airports in the discussion?

More often than not there is no ICAO for the most difficult ones (3 guesses as to why....).

Charts: USGS TOPO, USFS EMs and USFS REC. Haven't even looked on the Sectional lately.

And as previously mentioned, PIX, data and charts in Galen Hanselmann's book, FLY IDAHO. A good exercise is to look at a runway approach PIX with the RHI data up in the corner of the page covered with a thumb. Make a preliminary RHI assessment, then see how it compares with experience.

Well see there ya got me. I'm not a new private pilot. I'm an old ex-military guy who just naturally assumed no one in their right mind would attempt a strip like that without a capable machine...(If you noticed in my comments I mentioned the variables, which included equipment.) And I still maintain any competant pilot with the right equipment could handle the strips you mention, which should be obvious since people DO use them every year day in and day out. Your vehement attack on me, without knowing anything about my armchair, or cockpit, experience indicates one of two things. 1) You are the world's most experienced pilot, having vastly more than my measly 15k hours, and we are not worthy of your time, or 2.) You are talking out your lower orifice and are resorting to personal attack when no one buys into your line of BS. Either way you desperately need a personality transplant.

No personal attack intended outside your statements above. Go ahead and reply just to the side by side data of the runways I gave you if it is easier for you.

Yes, a small group of pilots use them but, not day in and day out as you say. Due to their unpaved state and obstacles among other things, DA considerations often make them unusable by any airplanes for days at a time. The last year I checked, ~22 people and pilots died just in that local region in only one summer season.

My other comments on your "analysis" are in line with the rookie mistakes you make by your improper conclusions, exacerbated by your omission of critical factors. Most importantly, my specific comments were not meant as a personal attack on you however, your erroneous conclusions do reflect on your lack of applied knowledge.

From what I've seen, you are an essentially anonymous poster here who now claims military experience and if true, as evidenced by your experienced runways' "analysis" above, I hope it wasn't our military, because you got badly gypped.

You're a sciolist to the highest degree, that's for sure.:rolleyes:

BTW, you're still dodging the questions:

Again, where is this website and what are the airstrips you have deemed the "most difficult in the world" ?

I've given the most complete and true-data substantiated comments here of anyone, by far. And hope someone will finally actually address the data.

My extensive cockpit videos on the subject at hand were transferred from from my digital tapes onto both discs and dedicated servers for distribution by subscription to qualified users, and would most probably never be made available to you.

You can still view similar material, as I previously stated, on youtube. Some of it is of higher quality than mine, solely because of better cameras and software these days. You've shown you're a picture person, question is, could moving pictures really teach you anything?

I also listed four of the airstrips in Idaho by name. Once you consider them, let me know and I'll may give you 4 more.

Care to give any on your list?

Last edited:
I've given the most complete and true-data substantiated comments here of anyone, by far. And hope someone will finally actually address the data.

My extensive cockpit videos on the subject at hand were transferred from from my digital tapes onto both discs and dedicated servers for distribution by subscription to qualified users, and would most probably never be made available to you.

Oh I'm so hurt, sniff sniff.... LOL

You can still view similar material, as I previously stated, on youtube. Some of it is of higher quality than mine, solely because of better cameras and software these days. You've shown you're a picture person, question is, could moving pictures really teach you anything?

I also listed four of the airstrips in Idaho by name. Once you consider them, let me know and I'll may give you 4 more.

Like I posted before, you're a sciolist that's overly impressed with yourself.

Thanks for proving the obvious as well.

Back