Go around? we don't need no steenking go around

Yeah. The Twin Otter on the ramp is well suited for that mission. I don't have any experience with Dornier's to know how it works there, but I think it is a tad tight for it.

I loved watching a show about that airport. They said those people have never even seen a car, only airplanes. That gradient is a lot more than it looks like.

That gradient is a lot more than it looks like.

I saw that too, amazing when they got to the top of the (hill) runway

Amazing, and I thought going in and out of St Barts was sporty

I want to see at much of this blue ball as I can before I check out, but looking at the landscape I can't see any appeal of why I'd want to go there....

Unless it's for the challenge and bragging rights to say I landed on that runway!

I want to see at much of this blue ball as I can before I check out, but looking at the landscape I can't see any appeal of why I'd want to go there....

Unless it's for the challenge and bragging rights to say I landed on that runway!

Cheap heroin and Buddah statues, though you have to look for a good one. Nepal is really a beautiful place with very friendly people.

Oh my.

Is it just me, or could that runway have been aligned a tad bit better with respect to terrain?

There would probably be no decision height for and IFR flight. Probably a decision horizontal distance requirement.

David

I spent an hour or two watching a bunch of YouTubes and reading about it. Apparently if you want to climb Everest the first step is a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. From the videos it sure looks like a busy place but that's probably because everyone waits for the clouds to part and then jumps in. There's an Irish Pub in town and I guess it's the place to live if you're a Sherpa.

Surprisingly, though it's been called the most dangerous airport, in the majority of the crashes there everyone survived - at least according to Wikipedia.

That's just... epic. I will never ever complain about landing anywhere again.

The afternoon takeoff serial at Lukla...fun to watch. This jogged my memory about the last time I was in a Twin Otter. Back in 1977! We flew out of Los Alamos, which is a mesa runway and very pretty but not near as spectacular as Lukla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMiXZqEnSd0

Doesn't look that hard pilot skill wise, self imposed stress sports it up I guess. Fear causes your worst fears to come true.

Lukla's no obstacles & uphill, so no problem, plus free dysentery.
We have much more demanding airstrips in Idaho, even considering typical DAs.

And, Sherpas!

LOL, I love watching the Everest expedition shows as the intrepid white climbers brave the mountain while in the back ground the Sherpas are lapping them hauling multiple loads of their gear...barefoot.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I spent an hour or two watching a bunch of YouTubes and reading about it. Apparently if you want to climb Everest the first step is a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. From the videos it sure looks like a busy place but that's probably because everyone waits for the clouds to part and then jumps in. There's an Irish Pub in town and I guess it's the place to live if you're a Sherpa.

Surprisingly, though it's been called the most dangerous airport, in the majority of the crashes there everyone survived - at least according to Wikipedia.

I take back what I said, and I'm not even a mountain climber. But visiting the world's tallest mountain....worth it!

On a perfectly clear morning many years ago while on a flight from Singapore to London I believe, the pilot announced that those on the right side of the aircraft could look out and see Mount Everest. I just happen to have a right side window seat that morning. I can honestly say, it was an amazing sight to say the least, and at FL390 it is not too far below the plane.

It was cool to say the least.

Notice all the brake skid marks at th top of the hill?

attachment.php

And, Sherpas!

attachment.php

Looks like the Sherpa is more likely. :D

Attachments

• 110air-to-air-for-add.jpg
    110air-to-air-for-add.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 137
  • yak_52.jpg
    yak_52.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 137
Back