gns530w terrain card failed

172Pusher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
172Pusher
I updated the ifr database without a problem but today the terrain card won't update. The 530 says there's a problem with "sys integrity" when the terrain card is in but flying is fine without the terrain card.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thank you

Redo the update, there may have been a data glitch that corrupted the database.

Tried that but it doesn't see the card.

I wasn't ever able to update the card. I did restart the laptop but that didn't help.

Thank you

New terrain cards are something like $260. I think you should just get a new terrain card rather than beating your head against the wall with your dead one. You can also call Garmin support for their thoughts on the specific error you are seeing. My error was TER FAIL when the 430W started up, even though the updates say they were installed to the card just fine, and they said a new card was the answer.

No way to wipe it and reuse? That's frustrating

Thank you

Call Garmin. I was having issue after issue with cards on my 430W. Initially I bought a new card on my own... still had problems. They sent me a couple different terrain cards, a new nav card, even a new card reader. They've worked hard to resolve the issues I was having and (knock on wood), updates seem to be going fine now. I'd call them.

I didn't even know you could update the terrain cards.

I don't know if it's related, but I have had trouble with new data cards. I had two that would not accept data updates from Jepp. Garmin was good about it and sent replacements. The last one finally worked. I knew it wasn't my card writer, because I have another one I keep in the AC. When I brought that one home, I could update that old one fine. I had to wait for the next cycle because when I updated the old card, I did not have any transfers left. It took some time, but it all worked out.

Can you use the same card writer for terrain that you can for the other data cards? Where do you get the subscription?

The "Terrain" card is the same card as the "Obstacle" card. Both databases (Obstacle db and Terrain db) go on the same card. The Terrain db shouldn't be updated very often AT ALL. In fact, I think I accidentally updated it one time and it contributed to my issues. The "Nav" card holds the Navigation db. So two different cards for different databases. Your Garmin subscription covers all databases for both cards.

I have a Jepp subscription. I never saw a means of updating terrain. I update Nav Data every cycle.

Terrain wouldn't update too often... Obstacles yes.... I think Garmin does updates for Obstacles every 56d and the Nav db every 28 to coincide with FAA.

I guess I'll call Garmin tomorrow. Does anyone have a "good" number?

Thanks!

All, wanted to pass along as I too had this issue and my searching led me here.

I trashed two Terrain cards and after reading a variety of forums I called Garmin and did my time on hold. I was hoping to get them to send me new cards (as this is clearly a software issue) but they instead pointed me at a new utility they have that allows you to reset the card.

Only downside is you have to dig up a Windows box if you're a Mac user as it only runs on Windows. That said, it recovered both of my cards and I just downloaded new Terrain and Obstacle DB's to both cards (the utility wipes the card to recover it).

Hope it helps someone who reads this...

I trashed two Terrain cards and after reading a variety of forums I called Garmin and did my time on hold. I was hoping to get them to send me new cards (as this is clearly a software issue) but they instead pointed me at a new utility they have that allows you to reset the card.
Can you provide a link?

My guess:

Back