GNS530 cards

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
My 530W has OS 3 and I asked to have it updated; have been told to go with OS ver 5.
Sound about right?

Also, am told the new OS requires a high capacity card (I think it was nav db card but it could be terrain)
Are these larger cards readily available? Where? Cost?

The newer software requires the new orange-label cards, and they require the new card reader [incompatible with the old Sky Bound unit I had]. Jepp sells a combo deal, card and reader; last year it ran me ~$229. It's the regular data card that you update every four weeks.

While you're on the phone with them is the time to ask about updating your Terrain database and if a new card is needed for that also. I'm still using my old terrain card, because mountains change so very slowly . . . .

Wondering if there is any huge advantage to upgrading the software.
(Not really on board with additional expense but no obvious advantage.)
Maybe I should just stick with the functional version 3.x and update the terrain and buy a nav subscription.
Otherwise I am in for
-OS software $200
-new cards (I'll want a spare) $?
-new card reader/connector $229

yep for over 500$ impact one should be very clear why one is doing the upgrade

Stuck with the old software; could not see an appreciable difference.
Garmin:
Card reader $84
Old cards compatible per Garmin (haven't tried them yet) $0.00
Americas nav/terrain/obstacle $450

PS. I have the subscription ready to dl but it appears you cannot save it to your computer - it only allows you to connect to the card reader and put it on the card. Right?
(otherwise I'd 'get ahead' and dl it now, and wait for the reader)

PS. I have the subscription ready to dl but it appears you cannot save it to your computer - it only allows you to connect to the card reader and put it on the card. Right?
(otherwise I'd 'get ahead' and dl it now, and wait for the reader)

The Garmin webupdater will look for a compatible card before it will DL and install the update. If you can swing it, get two cards, one for the plane and one for home so you can update without making a trip to the airport. Otherwise, you will need to install on a laptop and take it with you to the airport for updates to minimize inconvenience. Supposedly, both the silver and orange cards are compatible with the updater, and the orange cards will work with version 3.3 or later. I didn't realize v.5.0 of the software requires the orange cards. Is there a service notice associated with this? I thought the orange cards were issued because parts were no longer available for manufacturing the silver cards.

The Garmin webupdater will look for a compatible card before it will DL and install the update.

to finish that sentence so I completely understand...is it "DL and install the update"....to the card right? That is, it won't install to the laptop harddrive for transfer to the card later?

Thanks

to finish that sentence so I completely understand...is it "DL and install the update"....to the card right? That is, it won't install to the laptop harddrive for transfer to the card later?

Thanks

It downloads and installs in one go.

I just spent $700 on the US nav database for the 430 and 530W. I have the Jeppessen reader which won’t work with the Garmin updater. Had to buy the $70 Garmin one. I have the silver cards so hope I don’t have to upgrade those to the orange ones now. :(

Back