GNS430W <==> G5 OBS

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Setup: Dual G5s with GNS430W and the GAD29B and GMU11 units.
G5s and GNS430W has the latest software upgrades.

Issue: OBS mode doesn't communicate.

Select waypoint 430W, and then go to OBS mode, pop up screen on 430W requests OBS input radial. Enter this on the 430W, and it does not transfer over to the G5. The G5 does not allow for an OBS mode entry until the radial is selected on the 430W.

Enter OBS mode on the G5 and select it to match the radial on the 430W. Now if I want to exit the OBS mode on the 430, the G5 remains stuck in OBS mode, and the OBS mode option disappears on the G5, even though the CDI is still showing the OBS radial track.

OBS mode used to work with the 430W/King-525 HSI setup. Everything else seems to work perfect.

Was there a step in the configuration that the avionics installer missed? The avionics shop (a separate shop) that did the 430W software upgrade couldn't figure it out either.

Any ideas before I call Garmin?

Edit: No autopilot installed.

Last edited:
Make sure you have the SDI setting the same on both units on the ARINC429 page. They should both be SDI1.

Thanks! Configuration power up menu on both units I assume?

Couldn't find anything for 429 on the G5 configuration menu. Went into the 430 configuration and the SDI was set to "COMMON"

Changed it to LNAV1 and the OBS can now be set by the G5. Now to go burn a hole or two in the sky and see if anything else is affected by the change.

Thanks again.

Fwiw, in VOR mode the g5, not the 430, computes the needle and flag, which is different than it would have been for the king. So if you go to the self test screen and change the obs and see nothing change in the 430, the g5 should still be able to show the correct needle and flag.

There wasn't an issue when I tested the VOR CDI portion, it was only the OBS mode to a GPS waypoint/airport. In the self test screen before the change I made last night the OBS was "--- "in the test page.

Back