GNS430W Flight Plan Data Card

BryanAV8R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bryan
I understand that I need yet a third card to be able to transfer flight plans between my PC and the 430W in my plane. I have the Garmin USB programmer, a current sub, and both the proper nav and terrain cards...but everything I see seems to indicate that I need a third card to move the flight plans over...does anyone have a P/N or info on what I'm on a search for...would like to minimize the knob twisting and such in the plane whilst the prop is turning...TIA

Yeah, they're pricey. Best of 1990's proprietary technology.

You could enter the flight plans with the master on (but the plane off), and save them into the unit so when you do restart, they're still there.

Of course a FlightStream unit is great for this (transfer them from your iPad), of course that is way more than $350...

My checkbook is recovering from the extraction for the panel upgrade...I think I'll just hunt-and-peck for now. FlightStream is a neat solution, but...1 AMU for the box and probably another AMU to install to put a wireless transciever/rs232 converter is obscene.

You could probably use an old 430/530 non W card. I've got an extra one. What software writes the flight plans? I could test it.

Last edited:
2 AMU for Garmin is cheap but I hear you, those secret technology cards are a joke. at least they are moving to normal SD cards now.

I think I'll just hunt-and-peck for now. .

If your main goal is just to avoid having to have the engine running while entering your flight plan, that capability is already built in to the unit. Just enter your flight plan and save it as one of the stored flight plans on FPL page 2. Then when you start the engine and turn the unit back on, it will still be there.

If your main goal is just to avoid having to have the engine running while entering your flight plan, that capability is already built in to the unit. Just enter your flight plan and save it as one of the stored flight plans on FPL page 2. Then when you start the engine and turn the unit back on, it will still be there.

Oh, I know I could do that...just a bit easier exporting an FPL file (which is nothing more than an XML file...interesting) and loading it.

I've a buddy in the local tracon, and talked with him about routing between where I am (sw of EWR) and EWB (se of BOS) as well as to Shannon in VA; gave me some pointers as to what he'd predict the machine would spit out based on times of day. Close to what I file, but there are some twists I've received along the way. Of course...I could just have a number of plans with the start and destination, then just insert the routing in between as I get the clearance.

It will be easier to manage once the GFC is fully configured and tested...

I got to where I never entered the full flight plan before flight. Just the first waypoint (or two) plus the FAF and airport of the destination. Once enroute, I had plenty of time to enter the other waypoints.

I got to where I never entered the full flight plan before flight. Just the first waypoint (or two) plus the FAF and airport of the destination. Once enroute, I had plenty of time to enter the other waypoints.

sounds like the most reasonable path to take (and save some $$$ in the process...especially with an autopilot to mind the store while inserting the intermediate waypoints...)

My checkbook is recovering from the extraction for the panel upgrade...I think I'll just hunt-and-peck for now. FlightStream is a neat solution, but...1 AMU for the box and probably another AMU to install to put a wireless transciever/rs232 converter is obscene.

Twisting and punching it in is a pain at first, but with a little practice the torture element goes away.

If you have an autopilot, this is a much more acceptable approach.

Back