GNS430 non waas and private airports

Doug Reid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Doug Reid
Is it normal for a non waas gns430 with CURRENT navdata to NOT have private airports in the database ?

The Garmin databases for panel mount GPS may not display all private airports according to Garmin support. Portable GPS devices apparently do not have this limitation.

The Garmin databases for panel mount GPS may not display all private airports according to Garmin support. Portable GPS devices apparently do not have this limitation.

Gotta love Garmin and their product tactics….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having had a presentation from a Garmin rep at Mooney Max, it is almost like there are several different companies. That don't always talk to each other.

Even in the W version, the airport we just bought a home site at isn't in the Garmin/Jepp Database. Is in the iFly database. So I created a user waypoint in the 430W for it.

creation a user waypoint at the airport is not good idea.
you miss key airport features: hard surfaces such as runways, taxiways, or aprons; operational functions such as taxi lines, aircraft stands or holding positions; and virtually defined geometries such as communication frequency areas.

send me PM if you want to add airport info into panelmount unit's

you miss key airport features: hard surfaces such as runways, taxiways, or aprons; operational functions such as taxi lines, aircraft stands or holding positions; and virtually defined geometries such as communication frequency areas.

A lot of that is in Foreflight. And if someone’s flying into a private field, they probably have info like that from a resident there, and the field isn’t complex or busy enough on the ground that it’s needed.

I appreciate the offer, but yes I have ForeFlight and the airport info is available.

I like to use the GNS430 as well as ForeFlight any time I fly cross country just for backup. I was just not aware the private airports were not in the Garmin nav database until recently. Someone suggested that the Jeppesen nav data might include private airports, but I have no way to verify. It is not a big deal, but when you spend 300 dollars a year for nav data, it would be nice to have these airports included. I have already added user waypoints for the private airfields I plan to use in the near future, so I guess this is a non issue now. Thanks ..

I appreciate the offer, but yes I have ForeFlight and the airport info is available.

I like to use the GNS430 as well as ForeFlight any time I fly cross country just for backup. I was just not aware the private airports were not in the Garmin nav database until recently. Someone suggested that the Jeppesen nav data might include private airports, but I have no way to verify. It is not a big deal, but when you spend 300 dollars a year for nav data, it would be nice to have these airports included. I have already added user waypoints for the private airfields I plan to use in the near future, so I guess this is a non issue now. Thanks ..

Jepp doesn't have all of them either. 3000' paved private strip, not listed.

Until the next database update comes out, then you get to do it again?

Thanks, EdFred..not a big deal since FF has all airports. The funny thing is, I have not programmed coordinates in a while...never realized there are now 6 different formats..the 430 only takes degrees, minutes, seconds. I had to change settings in FF from digital to old style.

Back