GNS and Avidyne data

Jason608

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason608
I'm trying to figure out the various data subscriptions available. I recently left the flight club where the mechanic took care of the updates, so what I thought I knew apparently is not very accurate. I know there are several Garmin Onepaks, differences between WAAAS and Non WAAS data packs and Jeppesen and Garmin look to be competing now on data.

I have Avidyne EX5000 MFD/PFD and dual GNS 430's, non WAAS.

Here is what I think is correct
  • Garmin data on GNS430: Garmin Navigation Database, Terrain, Basemap & Obstacle
  • Avidyne Navdata on EX5000: Navdata, Terrain, Basemap & Obstacle
  • The chart data for Avidyne is: AOPA Airport Directory, IFR enroute charts, VFR sectional charts and SafeTaxi
Am I correct so far?

Can’t speak to Avidyne at all, but the usual confusion on Garmin is as you say, Jepp vs Garmin... and then people don’t realize the OnePack concept only works if you have multiple Garmin products in the panel.

You’re better off getting the non-OnePack for say, a single GTN.

But your list seems “sane” from here. The GTN adds stuff like SafeTaxi to the mix that the older 430/530 stuff doesn’t have.

You’re better off getting the non-OnePack for say, a single GTN.
Thanks. That is what I am leaning towards. Garmin does not have a OnePack for non WAAS GNS 430.

From my conversation with the Jepp sales rep: "Avidyne Americas Navdata $245 annually and the Dual Garmin Non -WAAS full USA is $460."

This coupled with Foreflight charts I should be all set. Next year, I may then only update the top GNS430. Avidyne chart data is $700+ !

Thanks. That is what I am leaning towards. Garmin does not have a OnePack for non WAAS GNS 430.

From my conversation with the Jepp sales rep: "Avidyne Americas Navdata $245 annually and the Dual Garmin Non -WAAS full USA is $460."

This coupled with Foreflight charts I should be all set. Next year, I may then only update the top GNS430. Avidyne chart data is $700+ !

Yeah mixing manufacturers would be painful.

We’re currently paying $499 for “everything” on the single GTN 650 annually using Garmin.

Back