GNS 530W Settings - Whats your opinion?

Mike Bushard Jr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
N9573Q
I've been using 530's for years, but I've never really messed with the settings for the maps and such. I'm curious if I'm missing some amazing "Holy cow that the cat's meow" setting.

We have GTX 345's hooked up to all three and a two have GMX200's, XMWX, and TAS-600's interfaced as well.

I realize that everything can be personal preference, but playing around in the air takes my eyes inside the cockpit and playing on the ground doesn't really give a guy the full experience.

Just thought I'd ask and see what I can learn...

Sounds like a fleet? Rentals?

The biggest problem I have seen in rentals is not having them all on the latest firmware so features don’t exist.

As far as fiddling with settings goes, people fiddle with rentals all the time. It’s more a challenge to get them back to sanity than anything.

Hell just north up and track up can cause fights. LOL. Start changing the clutter level via depth settings and you’ll drive everyone nuts. LOL.

No, all three our ours. They are all on 5.4. I'm just not sure any of the five pilots in my family have ever really changed anything since the day they were installed. The last one we installed I set to match the 206 and really never thought much of it. Then I started thinking and reading the manuals deeper...

The only thing we "fight" about today is whether to have the data bars on or not, I like a big map page, Grandpa likes the data bar. I understand the North up vs track up debate, I still don't know which one is "right" but ours are all set to DTK up and I'm used to that so I don't change it...

Last edited:
Sounds like a fleet? Rentals?

The biggest problem I have seen in rentals is not having them all on the latest firmware so features don’t exist.

As far as fiddling with settings goes, people fiddle with rentals all the time. It’s more a challenge to get them back to sanity than anything.

Hell just north up and track up can cause fights. LOL. Start changing the clutter level via depth settings and you’ll drive everyone nuts. LOL.

North up vs track up made me have to have a conversation with a contract pilot. He left the MFD in North up while I like track up. I had to pull out the book to figure out how to change it back. Basically I said "Fine you like it North up but when you get done with the airplane put it back how you found it!"

Back