GNS 530 and VOR ID

In the 530w series installation manual (Google it. I'm not allowed to post links), on page 5-39 and 5-40 it takes about checking whether the Morse code decoder works for vors and localizers.
Can you cut-n-paste the text of the portion you are referring to? The specific wording may be relevant either one way or the other?

GTN's have two fields in the nav frequency. One is the ID from the database and one is the decoded morse ID. Was a question during my IFR practical. Database ID comes up when you dial it, morse ID comes up a bit later after it reads the code.
Agreed on GTN. Convenient and allows skipping of a step waiting to hear the morse code. GTN Xi Series Pilot's Guide:
NAV Frequency Tuning & Selection
Available with GTN 650Xi/750Xi
"GTN automatically decodes Morse code and displays the Ident for the active frequency above it.
The RFL (reverse frequency lookup) identifier is displayed below the frequency and is only dependent on GPS position and database information."

The GTN 650/750 makes it easy and fast to visually verify the RFL below the freq is correct as that comes up immediately upon dialing it up. Assuming you did not dial it up way far in advance and are actually closer to something else with the same code. But more realistic, you are in the vicinity, dial it up, visually verify the identifier in case it was fat fingered. Then wait for the morse code to be picked up by the unit and decoded while you are doing something else. When that automated task is completed then the Morse Code Ident is added above the freq. Convenient and by displaying both the RFL and the decode, it helps to make it pretty obvious what you are looking at.

My IFD550 also has the decoder functionality:
"Decoded Facility Identifier. The facility (e.g. Ground, Tower, Approach) for the Active and each displayed Standby com frequency are displayed in each com frequency slot. This is a handy reminder of the facility that is tuned in each slot. Similarly, if the frequency displayed is a navigation frequency, then the identifier decoded from Morse code will be displayed, which serves as a means to Tune-Identify-Monitor."

The Garmin GNS430W does NOT have morse code decoder ability so it is very interesting that the 530W is reported to have the ability. I fly with a 430W and I just assumed the 530W was similar in this regard. Comparing the two Pilot's Guides (400W Series vs 500W Series), both in Section 8 VLOC (VOR/Localizer/Glideslope) Receiver Operations, the 530W has an extra page that the 430W does not have, "VLOC Ident Window" which includes this:
"VLOC Ident Window. Directly below the VLOC Tuning Window is a VLOC Ident Window (default setting). When the GNS 530W is tuned to a nearby VOR, the VLOC Ident Window displays the Morse code identifier of the selected station, the radial from the VOR and the distance from the VOR. When tuned to a nearby localizer, the VLOC Ident window displays the identifier, associated airport and runway. The VLOC Ident Window can be replaced with traffic information or configurable data fields".
What I find interesting with the 530W is the lack of information in the documentation as to whether this is a database lookup or a real-time morse decoder. As other posters have noted, a database lookup would be expected to occur immediately and would be expected to operate similar to the documented operation of the GTN in terms of using GPS position to display the nearest facility which matches while an actual decoder would require the aircraft in close enough proximity to pickup, hear (internally to the unit) and decode the morse code which also takes some time and would not be expected to be instant.

The 530W manual talks about the VLOC ident procedure the same way as the 430W in terms of pressing the VLOC volume for ident.

My implication from the 530W is that the pilot is required to manually ident the morse code by actually listening and comparing the audible morse code sound transmission over the NAV frequency via the ident button. On the other hand, I do not fly with the 530W so I find this interesting but not relevant for my own instrument approaches.

Last edited:
Link to pdf manual

Cut and paste from referenced pages:

5.6.3 VOR Flight Check (GNS 530W)
1. Tune a local VOR station within 50 miles.
2. Verify the audio ident and voice quality and verify that no objectionable electrical interference such as magneto noise is present.
3. Verify the Morse code decoder IDs the station (95% probability).
4. Fly to and from the station.
5. Verify NAV flag, TO/FROM flag, and CDI are operational.
6. Record accuracy in System Log (see manual).
It may be required by the governing regulatory agency to verify operation of the VOR receiver at the extents of a ground facility’s service volume (e.g., FAA AC 23-8A).
Page 5-40 500W Series Installation Manual Rev. E 190-00357-02 5.6.4
ILS Flight Check (GNS 530W)
1. Tune an ILS at the local airport.
2. Verify the audio ident and audio quality and verify that no objectionable electrical interference such as magneto noise is present.
4. Fly the approach.
5. Verify NAV flag, GS flag, and CDI and VDI are operational.
6. Verify BC annunciator.

@Lon Stratton - I am not sure if the referenced material actually removes all ambiguity regarding whether the unit does a database lookup or does a real time morse decode.

Similar information as @Lon Stratton posted but from the GNS430W installation manual.

400W Series Installation Manual
GPS 400W, GNC 420W/420AW, and GNS 430W/430AW
190-00356-02
Rev. F
October 2008

Cut-n-paste from PDF. Edited for format from bad paste. lol.

5.6.3 VOR Flight Check (GNS 430W)
1. Tune a local VOR station within 50 miles.
2. Verify the audio ident and voice quality and verify that no objectionable electrical interference such as magneto noise is present.
4. Fly to and from the station.
5. Verify NAV flag, TO/FROM flag, and CDI are operational.
6. Record accuracy in System Log (see manual).
It may be required by the governing regulatory agency to verify operation of the VOR receiver at the extents of a ground facility’s service volume (e.g., FAA AC 23-8A).

5.6.4 ILS Flight Check (GNS 430W)
1. Tune an ILS at the local airport.
2. Verify the audio ident and audio quality and verify that no objectionable electrical interference such as magneto noise is present.
4. Fly the approach.
5. Verify NAV flag, GS flag, and CDI and VDI are operational.

My read on the GNS430W/GNS530W manual simply leaves me not understanding. The Installation Manual clearly refers to the "Morse code decoder" but as it refers to this for both the 430 and the 530 then I question EXACTLY what this means.

If there actually is a "Morse code decoder" on the GNS430W then I have no idea where it is. I have never seen it on the physical unit. Which certainly does not mean it is not there. I just have not seen it.

Wouldn't step 3 referencing "the" Morse code decoder remove the ambiguity?

Wouldn't step 3 referencing "the" Morse code decoder remove the ambiguity?
Not when the same wording is present in the GNS430W manual.

As well, the lack of specificity in the Pilot's Guide can not (in my head) be resolved simply with the installation manual.

But then again, I do not have nor fly with the GNS530W. In terms of the GNS430W, whether it does or does not have automatic internal morse code decoder technology, I do NOT BELIEVE it has and as such, I do a manual ident if using the 430W for VOR/ILS navigation or approach.

So for me this is a very interesting yet academic discussion.

The non waas gns430 installation manual does not make any reference to a morse decoder....the gns430w does.

Back