Gns-480?

I've only used it once, but know many folks have one in their aircraft. Of those that have one in their panel, they all really enjoy using it though I am still more comfortable with the 530/430. Though as with all new pieces of equipment, it takes adjusting to. Airways on the GPS are a big plus.

It's a great unit, with substantially greater navigation utility than the 430/530, but its display is much more limited -- you really need to pair it with an MX-20 to get full value from it.

Anyone have one? Like it? Does it have better reliability than the 430/530?

John

I've had one for a year and a half and I really like it. WRT reliability, the biggest problem I've had so far was some intermittent connections on the unit to tray interface and that was due to an error in the installation.

In addition to many capabilities that are unique to the 480, there are some deficiencies as well, primarily the inability to display weather or terrain and the lack of any E6B or VNAV calculators. On the plus side there's the airways in the database, the ability to process all of the 15 or so types of leg types used in approaches, and you can set up a hold in any direction at any waypoint which will drive almost any autopilot with an appropriate interface. There's also four customizable map pages and a customizable HSI nav page as well. And that's just a small part of the feature set.

the FBO has one in the 421. I like it although I havent had a chance to fly it enough to get really proficient. Theyve got a sim on the computer that ive played with some. Its much more button punching than knob twisting a la 430/530. the MX20 is pretty sweet.

Back