GNS 430W moving map question

ttvetdoc

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Russell
I'm a relatively new pilot with a new-to-me plane. The plane has a 430W paired with a GDL-88. On a cross country this past weekend (on both legs) while I was on the moving map page 15-20 minutes into the flight the map background suddenly showed a blue hatched (criss-crossed) appearance. I was not over water, no precipitation in the area, was in class E airspace, no TFR's and I was on flight following. Foreflight on my ipad didn't show anything unusual. I did not get any popup alerts on the 430 - just all of a sudden the blue criss-crossed appearance showed up (superimposed on the map background). It happened on the return leg of the flight as well. The trip was about an hour long both ways.

I have flown this trip before (about 6 weeks ago) and the blue criss-crossed map did not appear on that trip.

I flipped through the 430W manual and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone have any input on what this map appearance signifies?

Thanks,

Russell

I've had 430's in my planes for over 12 years, and never had that. Software/hardware glitch is my first guess - but I'm also not digging through my manual either.

Traffic on a 430w is show as white circles with vector lines. Close traffic gets a pop-up window withe the same symbology.

don't they show as white diamonds too? maybe this was alien traffic.

From the 400W series optional displays addendum:
"The Terrain Proximity system continually monitors several system-critical items, such as Terrain Proximity database validity, hardware status, and GPS status. The Terrain Proximity page will post the message “NO DATA” when the terrain database is not available.
A blue cross-hatching pattern is shown when out of the area of coverage, but no system message is posted."

I'm not an expert but if it worked before and you didn't do anything between now and then, possibly a bad terrain or basemap database?

It could have been an area depicted as not within the coverage of the NEXRAD product you might have had selected.

You flew thru a TFR with the Zoom set really high...

Just kidding... Never saw that on a 430...

From the 400W series optional displays addendum:
"The Terrain Proximity system continually monitors several system-critical items, such as Terrain Proximity database validity, hardware status, and GPS status. The Terrain Proximity page will post the message “NO DATA” when the terrain database is not available.
A blue cross-hatching pattern is shown when out of the area of coverage, but no system message is posted."

I'm not an expert but if it worked before and you didn't do anything between now and then, possibly a bad terrain or basemap database?

That's great information - thanks for posting. I'll see what I can do about updating the terrain database or troubleshooting the issue with Garmin.

Russell

Back