GNS 430w/kma24, low com audio to speaker and headset

mech_2801

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mech_2801
Hey all,
I'm having issues with a new install of a gns430aw.
It was just installed as com/nav 1 and replaced a kx165. The issue is there is very low audio output from the 430 on com and nav. With the volume turned all the way up the audio is barley loud enough to hear. You can open the squelch on the volume knob and get hardly any audio. The installing shop installed 15k ohms of resistors on the audio high output from the 430 to the audio panel and it increased the volume slightly. The issue exists on both the overhead speaker as well as the headset jacks. I had the 430w bench tested before the install and it had excellent audio output on the bench so I feel confident the 430 is not the issue. The plane (C172N 24v) also has an Intervox NAT intercom system (I believe it to be an AA80-001), kma 24 audio panel. The audio panel was swapped with another kma 24 and the issue remained. Com 2 is the kx165 that used to be com 1 and the audio output from it is loud and clear. The installing shop told me nothing was changed on the intercom during the install.
It seems to me that if the 500 ohm high needs 15k ohms to hear anything then there is an issue with the impedance, but I am at a loss as to why. It is grounded at the ground lug on the kma 24. The shop is sure that the connections are good and the pinout is correct. What the heck is going on!?!
Also, I found this in the maintenance manual and I am curious if any one can explain the "microphone intercom" part? "Comm radio audio output will supply 100 mW to a 500 ohm load. This audio is the summation of the receiver, microphone intercom and sidetone."
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Wow - that's quite a few components to troubleshoot.

I mean - if the 430 is putting out correct audio, the it goes to the Audio Panel - then an Intercom sytem.

I'm not sure what the 15k resistor is adding to the equation here.

All I can say is something is out-of-whack and it'll be a bit to troubleshoot.

What pins do they have wired to what places? Not what pins do they think they have wired to where, but if they ring out the wires, what pins on the 430W are connected to what pins on the KMA24? Generally the only time you should need resistors would be for summing multiple sources in to one input and that would be more in the 300-400 ohm range. I wonder if they actually have the high and low swapped and it's getting just enough differential to make some audio come through? I've never tried to see what would happen if you did that.

Unfortunately I can not tell you how it is actually pinned out. Once I have the plane back I can pull the panel and look but at that point I may as well build a harness and start over lol. I was hoping that (assuming the pin outs are correct) someone might have had a similar issue with these components before and could shine some light for a guy seeking the highly coveted eureka effect.
In the absence of my "aha moment" all I can do is ask and plan a harness build.
Thanks for the comment, interesting idea about the high and low being swapped. I'll have to try that on a bench radio.

Back