GNS 430w & GTX 345 Configuration

Dbarbee

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Barbee
I just got my airplane back from the shop Monday after having a Garmin GTX-345 transponder and a PS Engineering PMA8000BT audio panel installed and wanted to verify the configuration settings are correct. I get a "Not receiving input data on 429 Channel #1" message when I power up followed shortly by another message, "Not receiving traffic data". (I had 3 messages on the GTX345 as well but didn't get a picture of them, I'll try to remember to do that next time I'm at the hanger)

The installer is saying it's normal and should go away once airborne. (I haven't been able to fly it yet to verify this) Can someone familiar with this combination (GNS430w-GTX345) confirm if these messages are normal at power up and if the settings are correct? (or take a look at what yours is set at?)

(BTW, the ARINC429 output and the RS232 Channel 2 are being used by the TruTrak AP and the JPI EDM830 engine monitor)

Can't wait to try out the new transponder and audio panel but the crummy WX and a busy schedule keep getting in the way :(

Thanks!

05-01-18 Main AIRINC 429 Config.jpg 05-01-18 Main RS232 Config.jpg 05-01-18 Messages.jpg

@Dbarbee ... I am not able to answer your avionics question... but if you are looking for some good reasons to do more flying, I know of a very good Pilots n Paws coordinator who frequently schedules Houston to Iowa flights (4 legs) with a stop in the Tulsa area. She regularly needs someone to run leg 2, DFW to KOWP or KRVS, and leg 3, Tulsa to KC area.

If you are interested, let me know and I'll share her information.

Ours is displayed on a MFD, is there a self test on the unit you can do?

Ether way worth a call to garmin.

@Dbarbee ... I am not able to answer your avionics question... but if you are looking for some good reasons to do more flying, I know of a very good Pilots n Paws coordinator who frequently schedules Houston to Iowa flights (4 legs) with a stop in the Tulsa area. She regularly needs someone to run leg 2, DFW to KOWP or KRVS, and leg 3, Tulsa to KC area.

I'd hope it's 4 legs ;)

Those error messages are not normal and point to a configuration or wiring problem. I also have a GTX-345 with a GNS-430W with the latest software versions. When the 345 is on the ground, the 430 will say "traffic unavailable" because the the transponder automatically switches between ALT/GND, and is in ground mode; but not error messages.

You will love getting traffic alerts on the panel and seeing greater detail in ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot on an iPad. Wait until you invest in a Flightstream 210, and up load Foreflight flight plans to the 430W. Fantastic.

Last edited:
I also think you have a configuration or wiring problem. I can't speak for the 430 or what it "normally" says, but @NordicDave 's info sounds correct for those that I've flown behind.

I *can* confirm that we get NO messages other than normal boot-up info pages on our 345. If you're getting errors on the screen of the 345, something is definitely wrong there.

Good luck with it.

Those error messages are not normal and point to a configuration or wiring problem. I also have a GTX-345 with a GNS-430W with the latest software versions. When the 345 is on the ground, the 430 will say "traffic unavailable" because the the transponder automatically switches between ALT/GND, and is in ground mode; but not error messages.

You will love getting traffic alerts on the panel and seeing greater detail in ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot on an iPad. Wait until you invest in a Flightstream 210, and up load Foreflight flight plans to the 430W. Fantastic.

Thanks for confirming that it’s not normal, it just didn’t sound right to me. Hopefully it’s just a configuration problem and not wiring. Any chance you could get a picture of your AIRINC 429 and RS232 configuration pages for comparison?

I finally got to fly it today and no surprise, it still said “No Trfc Data” on the map page and “no 429 Channel 1 input” on the message page. It did however display traffic on my iPad so at least I know it’s picking it up. (I was so busy trying to troubleshoot the traffic input I completely forgot to check the WX input)

Thanks for the pipep on Flightstream, I REALLY wanted to add it at the same time but doing both the audio panel and transponder zapped my upgrade budget for this year.

Thanks for the pipep on Flightstream, I REALLY wanted to add it at the same time but doing both the audio panel and transponder zapped my upgrade budget for this year.

Bunch of folks here liking the Flightstream stuff... you'll eventually want to get it... very useful if you're also a tablet user.

As far as the wiring / problem goes... might want to make sure the silly connector hasn't just fallen off the back of one of the radios... it happens... our cable from our blind encoder wasn't clipped on quite right and flew about 20 hours after the install of our recent panel upgrade until it just fell off of the 345, and was hanging down behind the panel. Pushed back on, clicked the lock correctly this time... no problems since then.

We’ve talked about doing PnP missions so I’d be interested in the contact. I know a guy from the DFW area that goes to school in AR that’s done at least one mission so far and I tagged along with him. He’s a good pilot and trying to build hours so I’ll pass it on to him too.

Oh, forgot to add: the messages on the 345 weren’t related. Turns out I only get them when I power up in the hanger or have the 430 off or in configuration mode and its not receiving a gps signal.

Bunch of folks here liking the Flightstream stuff... you'll eventually want to get it... very useful if you're also a tablet user.

As far as the wiring / problem goes... might want to make sure the silly connector hasn't just fallen off the back of one of the radios... it happens... our cable from our blind encoder wasn't clipped on quite right and flew about 20 hours after the install of our recent panel upgrade until it just fell off of the 345, and was hanging down behind the panel. Pushed back on, clicked the lock correctly this time... no problems since then.

That’s definitely possible but since it had the error message before it left the shop I’m pretty sure it’s going to turn out to be a setting in either the transponder or the 430. They’re going to look at it tomorrow.

Oh, forgot to add: the messages on the 345 weren’t related. Turns out I only get them when I power up in the hanger or have the 430 off or in configuration mode and its not receiving a gps signal.

Ah right. It’ll complain about that. As it should. :)

I apologize for the delayed follow up but the problem turned out to be the ARINC 429 Channel 1 input on the 430w. The installer confirmed in about 5 minutes the next morning that'd he'd accidently set it to "Traffic Advisory" instead of "ADSB TFC" I flew it later that day and it worked perfectly, including the "Traffic! Ten O'clock, Low, Two Miles!" and "Leaving Altitude" audible alerts!

It actually kind of amazes me that an installer could virtually rewire and configure my entire center stack with 5 pieces of equipment from 4 different manufacturers spanning 2 decades of technology, and only have one minor glitch.

It actually kind of amazes me that an installer could virtually rewire and configure my entire center stack with 5 pieces of equipment from 4 different manufacturers spanning 2 decades of technology, and only have one minor glitch.

I'm really glad you got it fixed. My own set-up had a software configure glitch, that was quickly fixed. Amazes me when guys don't get ADS-B In and connect to the panel GPS. Getting the traffic alerts are fantastic, along with not having to rely on iPads should it fail.

Back