GNS 430W database update

StanN45

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StanN45
Ok, if this is posted somewhere else, please direct me in the right direction because I haven't found it. But, here is the issue. I'm needing to update the database in my 430w and I'm a little lost on where to go to find out how this is done. Garmins website is confusing. I don't know if I should be looking there for the subscription or if it's in the Jeppessen website. Some light shed on this would surely help a brother out.

Get the Jepp subscription and USB reader form Jepp, open the program, plug in the card, right click and hit program to media, it'll tell you when it's done.

The jepp website is the most horribly designed web site on the planet. Good luck.

I gave up and called them.

Both Jepp and Garmin provide databases. Garmin includes Terrain on a separate card but Jepp doesn't update Terrain.

There are some silly Card color and label considerations in both.

Get them on the phone. Tell them what color label and lettering is on the card in the LEFT slot of your 430W.

Orange label, white label, etc. Sadly it all matters as to which programmer you need (if you don't have one) and which provider you subscribe to.

For me, the RV is on Garmin and the club planes are on Jepp. Just worked out that way.

I've used the same reader for both WAAS and the diffrent non WAAS cards without problem.

I'm assuming both keep the gps good for ifr operation?

I've used the same reader for both WAAS and the diffrent non WAAS cards without problem.

Depends on the card and programmer. We upgraded one 430 to W and our older (not blue) Skybound had to be replaced. The blue one does all the Jepp cards but the older (grey) one doesn't handle the ORANGE cards. This from poor memory but it the point is to talk to the DB source to make sure you have the right card/programmer/subscription combination.

I'm assuming both keep the gps good for ifr operation?

You just need the NAV data, wouldn't bother with the terrian, mountains take a while to move, and if you're looking at that screen to avoid towers, well...

Depends on the card and programmer. We upgraded one 430 to W and our older (not blue) Skybound had to be replaced. The blue one does all the Jepp cards but the older (grey) one doesn't handle the ORANGE cards. This from poor memory but it the point is to talk to the DB source to make sure you have the right card/programmer/subscription combination.

It was a blue one

If it helps... here's what I got from Jepp support when we went through the upgrade/re-subscribe. I do agree a bit with @James331 about terrain but since I'm on Garmin for the RV I keep it up to date.

Also, upon re-reading it was the label color that was our issue
jepp.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! This is good information. My new plane has a 430w and hard wired 696. I am trying to figure out what is the best route for updates and have found both websites hard to navigate

Thank you very much for the input. This definitely helps to clear things up a bit. Blue sky and tail winds for everyone!

In addition to Jepp, Garmin now offers nav data as well. The pricing is generally cheaper. (Go to this page, select GNS 430W and then scroll to bottom for "Individual databases". US subscription is $299). However, you'll need to buy the specific Garmin programmer because the Jepp SkyBound adapter cannot be used. I recently made the switch. The only drawback is that Garmin does not let you download the updates for offline programming. With Jepp, I could update a laptop at home with the data and then take it to the hangar to update the card. Of course, others have pointed out I could just buy a second nav card and accomplish the same thing.
I'm with others here in that I never update the terrain or obstacle databases. Maybe at Oshkosh...

Back