GNS 430 woes

CT583

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CT583
I am wondering if anyone has experienced something like this...

On a flight back to home, I had the GNS430(non-WAAS) set with Direct To navigation. All of the sudden, my range went from 40 miles to 5000, then 3000, then 7000 miles.
When I tried to enter a Direct To again, it tried to select another airport. Another time it tried to get me to enter the airport as a new Waypoint after hitting Direct To. This was odd to me.
On the 4th attempt to enter D-To the Screen flickered then restarted. however, Comms remained active as I was talking to flight following. Thankfully.

Upon the self-reset, the GPS continued to show 5000 miles to destination.
Now the next problem arose. I’m getting non-stop Terrain warnings. At 1500+ agl in an area I know, VFR conditions thankfully.

Appreciative of any insight.

Thanks

Sounds like you are going to be basically buying a new GPS. Non-WAAS isn’t supported by Garmin.
Yeah, doesn't sound good. Might become a parts radio. I would have a Garmin dealer take a look.

Does Garmin still do the fixed price overhaul on the non-WAAS units?

Have you tried pulling the box out and then re-seating it? Study the locking mechanism, and make sure you understand how it works. As you turn the allen wrench, it should pull the box into the tray to fully seat the connectors. Wiggle it side to side and see if you get another half-turn or so with the allen wrench.

It may not be the problem. But, it doesn't hurt to check.

Thanks for the responses.

waiting to hear back from my avionics shop. They are slated to begin installing dual G5 and a GFC-500.

From what I’m seeing the Avidyne 440 is the same price as a GTN 650xi. Does it have something the 650 doesn’t?

Just my opinion

430/530 < avidyne < gtn650xi

the only advantages I can imagine of the avidyne is initial cost and cost of database updates.

Last edited:
From what I’m seeing the Avidyne 440 is the same price as a GTN 650xi. Does it have something the 650 doesn’t?
For you, basically slide in installation for the 440 vs a bit more work for the GTN. Given all the other things you have going in, that might not be a factor.

@CT583 Both generate the same magenta line, but the Avidyne and Garmin user interfaces are quite different. Many have a strong preference for one or the other. I would suggest you download their respective simulators, and play, to decide. Also, if you are staying small format, Avidyne has its IFD100 app that creates a WiFi linked and near fully functional virtual IFD, on any size iPad you want. Also has a BT remote keyboard to work the main unit.

The IFD is a much simpler install for you, essentially a slide in, but that is more just the icing on the cake.

Now is the time to shop.

* Orest

Thanks for the responses.

waiting to hear back from my avionics shop. They are slated to begin installing dual G5 and a GFC-500.

Yes, more or less the Avidyne is a slide in replacement. The GTN 650 is a new install. So whatever the cost of installation. Garmin Dealer’s focus is selling and installing Garmin Product, not necessarily to your benefit.

Buy an Avidyne 440. It’ll slide right in there.

This is the answer, though it's not quite a simple "slide in" replacement when the Garmin is non-WAAS. My understanding is that the antenna and likely the antenna cable will have to be replaced when going from the non-WAAS Garmin to the WAAS Avidyne IFD 440. I went from a Garmin GNS 530W to an Avidyne IFD 540, and it's hands-down the best upgrade I've made to the plane so far. The Avidyne unit is head-and-shoulders above the Garmin it replaced.

. The Avidyne unit is head-and-shoulders above the Garmin it replaced.

My conundrum is that I’ve already paid my deposit on dual G5’s and a GFC-500 and they started the disassembly today, removing servos, etc. So I feel like I’m kind of being nudged towards a Garmin product.
From what I’ve heard, the Avidyne doesn’t always play well with the GFC500 autopilot

From what I’ve heard, the Avidyne doesn’t always play well with the GFC500 autopilot

If you're on Facebook, join the Avidyne Pilots Club and ask there. I'm sure some knowledgeable people will chime in. In addition to pilots who are IFD users, people from the Avidyne factory are very active there.

Another good source of information is Chase Larrabee at Avionics Source. He sells a lot of Avidyne IFDs, and I'm sure you wouldn't be the first person to ask him this question.

Garmin quit supporting non WAAS units several years ago.

I have learned this as well. According to the Avionics shop, the unit is functioning fine and may be an antenna issue. Regardless, at this point I don’t really want to use a non-WAAS unit for IFR training and flight. For me serviceability equals safety.

Just my opinion

430/530 > avidyne > gtn650xi
Curious. Do you mean "<" instead? Do you really rate the 430/530 as the best? I know James did, so you certainly wouldn't be the only one.

Curious. Do you mean "<" instead? Do you really rate the 430/530 as the best? I know James did, so you certainly wouldn't be the only one.

As someone who transitioned from a 530W to an Avidyne IFD540, I can tell you that the Avidyne unit is far superior to the 530 in every respect (AFAIK). I suspect he got his arrows backwards.

As someone who transitioned from a 530W to an Avidyne IFD540, I can tell you that the Avidyne unit is far superior to the 530 in every respect (AFAIK). I suspect he got his arrows backwards.
ROTFL Yes, yes, I did. *blush*

When my 530W started acting up, the shop said they can send it in and have gramin do their thing for $2K with a 6 month warranty. After talking with him, he said I can still get a good trade in value for the 530. So paying 2k with only a 6 month warranty on a 20 year old unit, the price he gave for the Avidyne 540 there wasn’t much to discuss. I love the 540!

Interesting update, the avionics shop could not replicate or find any faults with the unit. He said it may have been user error from an old flight plan saved by the prior owner that I activated..
The only think I did was recently update the Nav card with new Jeppesen data.

I’m still going to replace the GNS430 since I’m already adding G5’s and a GFC500 and need something with Waas

GTN 650 - plays well with the GFC 500 and G5’s.

Back