GNS 430 Data Update

Ronnie Godfrey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ronnie Godfrey
So I'm working on my IFR certification and the time has come that I will be using the GNS430 for actual conditions when the opportunity presents itself. I searched the forum, but only found one thread and it didn't really answer my question, so here's a new one!

I pulled my data card and it's got a green label because it's non-WAAS. I've got to get my hands on a computer adapter, though. Anyway, my real question is this: when I visit the Garmin website, I'm presented with two options for updates: obstacles and terrain. My unit does not have a terrain card installed, so it would appear that I just need the obstacle data, correct? I know that there is Jeppesen data available also. Does it offer anything more, such as new approaches or something?

I guess at the end of the day, I just want to know what the minimum requirement is to make my unit legal for IFR use. Seeing as how I'm flying a Cherokee 140, it's not like I'm going to be out there when the ceilings are 400 feet lol!

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if Obstacles and Terrain are required for IFR certification. But aren't they needed for precision approaches?

Garmin no longer provides NavData for the GNS-430. They referred me to Jeppensen. So I bought Obstacles/Terrain from Garmin and download it from their site. Then I bought NavData from Jeppensen and download it using the Jeppesen Distribution Manager app.

I think all that is required is NavData. That must be current for IFR flight using the GPS. If you are only using the VOR/ILS, then you must file that way and have a current VOR check.

Jesse is right. All you MUST have is the NavData which is what is essential for the IFR navigation. Obstacles and terrain are purely for your situational awareness.

Hopefully, you have the Skybound device to program the card because those early Garmins use a pathetic non-standard memory card. Thankfully, Garmin wised up with the later models and went to SD. The guys in Salem always used standard (CF) cards with standard file systems.

You need the NAV data to fly approaches and enroute. (Technically, you only need to VERIFY your loaded data is correct, but that is usually impractical to know, so updating the software each cycle is essentially required for IFR.) The Obstacles and Terrain data are advisory only, and not necessary, although nice to have. I update the NAV data every cycle to stay current for IFR, and update the obstacles and terrain every year or so. Garmin still provides NAV data for the GNS-430W. Is the GNS-430 (non-WAAS) treated differently? Jeppesen is the alternate provider, but they have in the past been considerably more expensive than Garmin. You will need a SkyBound adapter and will have to install Jepp's JDM software to do the updates. I was spending about $350/yr for Eastern USA coverage only. Garmin provides the whole USA for $299.

You need the NAV data to fly approaches and enroute. (Technically, you only need to VERIFY your loaded data is correct, but that is usually impractical to know, so updating the software each cycle is essentially required for IFR.)

While that is the AIM requirement, you need to be careful because the flight manual supplements often are more stringent. For example, I believe the 430 supplement allows exactly that, but the 430W supplement requires a current database for IFR - no "verifying" allowed.

My recollection is that Obstacles and Terrain both reside on the Terrain data card. If my memory is correct, that means you'll need to get a Terrain data card if you want to have Obstacle data on the GPS. I use the Garmin package that gives me Nav, Terrain and Obstacles. I've been happy with it.

While that is the AIM requirement, you need to be careful because the flight manual supplements often are more stringent. For example, I believe the 430 supplement allows exactly that, but the 430W supplement requires a current database for IFR - no "verifying" allowed.

Sensible warning in the aggregate, but fortunately for all of us 430W drivers, only approaches require a current database. Enroute is fine with an expired.

upload_2019-12-18_15-26-24.png

Without current terrain/obstacles, might one expect repetitive and distracting warnings throughout the flight?

Without current terrain/obstacles, might one expect repetitive and distracting warnings throughout the flight?

On my 530W, when my terrain card failed, my recollection is that there was a warning during boot-up, and then a message along the lines of "Terrain Fail" in the lower left corner that just sat there...not distracting. If the terrain card is good, but the data is expired, I think all that happens is that during boot-up there is a message that the data is expired.

I'm going from memory, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Back