GNC 355 database update

n2230b

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
fast eddie
So, my “new” GNC 355 was delivered/installed with expired databases. I understand: remove card with unit off, go to Garmin Pilot on other than MAC computer and select-pay for-load current database. Re-install card again with unit off, and now with unit on, update. But,,,some of the databases are already installed in the card supplied by my avionics shop. Do I have to use the supplied card with some current and some expired databases in order to not have to pay for some of the current content? My nautical and land/road Garmin units don’t have combined expired and non expired databases in the same card. In other words, start with a new card or continue using the old-supplied card? Does it make any difference? Or is it that once a database has been downloaded on to the 355, the particular version remains until I deliberately select & replace it? Are these questions stupid? Sorry. I am analog man in digital world.:confused2:

So, my “new” GNC 355 was delivered/installed with expired databases. I understand: remove card with unit off, go to Garmin Pilot on other than MAC computer and select-pay for-load current database. Re-install card again with unit off, and now with unit on, update. But,,,some of the databases are already installed in the card supplied by my avionics shop. Do I have to use the supplied card with some current and some expired databases in order to not have to pay for some of the current content? My nautical and land/road Garmin units don’t have combined expired and non expired databases in the same card. In other words, start with a new card or continue using the old-supplied card? Does it make any difference? Or is it that once a database has been downloaded on to the 355, the particular version remains until I deliberately select & replace it? Are these questions stupid? Sorry. I am analog man in digital world.:confused2:
I can’t answer your question, but wanted to fix a misunderstanding. You can use a Mac to create the chip for the updates from flygarmin.com

Here's another question. Are the Garmin cards just regular off the shelf SD cards, or are they Garmin's proprietary brew?

Having discussed this issue with the secretary of health, education and welfare, (my wife) who is much more informed than I at least about computers..............she says,,,,,,,,,”update the old card”.

Here's another question. Are the Garmin cards just regular off the shelf SD cards, or are they Garmin's proprietary brew?

The Garmin 355 manual states......must use FAT32 sd card with 8-32 GB. Doesn’t say anything about proprietary.
Actually, the Garmin 355 manual imho leaves a lot to be desired. Not very clear.
Could use a nice you-tube presentation on this, haven’t seen any yet.

When the Av Shop competes installation, the data is usually expired. Place a call to Garmin support, they will provide a promo code for a 1 time data update.

When the Av Shop competes installation, the data is usually expired. Place a call to Garmin support, they will provide a promo code for a 1 time data update.

NordicDave
I wondered if something like that was available. Haven’t seen it advertised or offered anywhere. It seemed to me kind of cheesy that an outfit like Garmin would allow one of their expensive products to be delivered with expired database. I will post how it goes.
Thanks!

Every Garmin GPS I've ever installed new (of the current generation of stuff) had a card with a code for a free database update included in the paperwork.

NordicDave
I wondered if something like that was available. Haven’t seen it advertised or offered anywhere. It seemed to me kind of cheesy that an outfit like Garmin would allow one of their expensive products to be delivered with expired database. I will post how it goes.
Thanks!

I was in the same situation when my 430 was WAAS upgraded. On a lark I called them, asked and; they readily said yes and gave me a promo code.

This is great to know. I purchased and installed a GPS 175 WAAS back around October and had expired databases. I just called like NorticDave stated and I've now got a full set of databases on my account I can install now. Thanks for the tip, it will help push out the $300 subscription fee I need to pay for another couple of months!

Back