GNC 255 - 411

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Has anyone here installed or used the Garmin GNC-255? Any comments of feedback on the unit?

I have one. Works great. What do you want to know?

Thanks - told me what I needed to know - it works great. The reason for the question is that I am planning an upgrade, and this was brought up in a recent conversation.

Here is my Luscombe 11A panel contents which needs the avionics updated to be IFR capable:
GNC 250XL, Narco AT 50A Xponder, KX 155 nav/com,
Century NSD 360A, JPI 730 engine monitor on Cont E 185-2, PM 501 intercom, No ADSB in/out. Am toying with a GNX 375 or GNC 355 nav/com as part of the upgrade.
Any/all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks - told me what I needed to know - it works great. The reason for the question is that I am planning an upgrade, and this was brought up in a recent conversation.
Some people don't like that you have to push a button to see the nav frequencies but it's just a button. It will keep the DME data on the screen even when the frequencies aren't. It also has a monitor function.

Here is my Luscombe 11A panel contents which needs the avionics updated to be IFR capable:
Century NSD 360A, JPI 730 engine monitor on Cont E 185-2, PM 501 intercom, No ADSB in/out. Am toying with a GNX 375 or GNC 355 nav/com as part of the upgrade.
the big question is do you want the nav/com or the nav/trans. either way ditch the at50. if you want the gnc355 then just go with a gtx335 or gtx345 transponder also

Have you considered the Trig TX56A? I’m kinda in the market for a new nav/comm as well and, although I have a mostly Garmin panel, comparing the Trig with the 255 at OSH makes it likely I’ll go with the Trig. The buttonology seemed better, I like having both the Comm and Nav frequencies shown, there’s a basic indicator on the home page, it’ll show you what radial you’re on (including for the standby Nav frequency, IIRC), and it costs less. Other than the name, I wasn’t sure I saw an advantage the Garmin had.

I am in the same state of Analysis Paralysis...

I am for sure going with the GNX 375 as this is going to solve a few problems for me: the need for a new transponder, eliminate the uAvonic Sky Beakon and Stratus III while giving me ADS-B out and in, a WAAS GPS, and freeing up space in the center pannel. My next task is deciding on what to do for NavCOMMS. The KX-155 in there was just overhauled and came back with an excellent report card.. so I'll keep that for Comm #2; I am still deciding on Comm 1. I could go with a refurbished KX-165 w/GS for half of the Garmin radio cost. The upside to this route is there are plenty of used ones out there should I need to do a swap-out should the Garmin "krap-out" on me.

1696107793256.jpeg

I could go with a refurbished KX-165 w/GS for half of the Garmin radio cost. The upside to this route is there are plenty of used ones out there should I need to do a swap-out should the Garmin "krap-out" on me.
First of all, the 165 is a 24v radio and it looks like you have a 12v airplane.

Second, if the GNC255 dies then you're sending it back to Garmin to get it repaired. It's under warranty. And even past warranty, it'd be too valuable to do otherwise. The only benefit to a swapping it out would be to have NAV/COM #2 while it's in the shop. Couldn't you just fly VFR during that short time?

Also, if you are looking at the GNC255 then I'd also look at the Trig TX56a. It'd save you a few ounces as well as a little bit of panel space. Plus, it has a few features that the GNC255 does not and I like the way display works a little bit better than I like the GNC255.

First of all, the 165 is a 24v radio and it looks like you have a 12v airplane.

Ahh.... the KX-165s' are either 14 or 28 volts, and I have a 28-volt airplane.

Second, if the GNC255 dies then you're sending it back to Garmin to get it repaired. It's under warranty. And even past warranty, it'd be too valuable to do otherwise. The only benefit to a swapping it out would be to have NAV/COM #2 while it's in the shop. Couldn't you just fly VFR during that short time?

Yes, I could, and this is being explored... however, from what I understand about Garmin, out-of-warranty repairs can be costly.

Also, if you are looking at the GNC255 then I'd also look at the Trig TX56a. It'd save you a few ounces as well as a little bit of panel space. Plus, it has a few features that the GNC255 does not and I like the way display works a little bit better than I like the GNC255.

I have heard of the Trig radios, and thanks for the recommendation. I will take a deeper look at them.

Back