GMX200

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
5D01050B-7A0A-47FF-AAB5-A59359147E42.jpeg
GMX200 is crapping the bed. Last year screen was blinking then flipping upside down. Sent back to Garmin for an update. Was good all year. Guy in club was practicing power off stalls and the gmx screen was “static like”. Was good then. For a couple flight. And tonight this happens. Cycled and no joy.
thoughts???

Screen is bad. Probably a basket case now given Garmin's support. Has nothing to do with the stalls.

"Upside down" is because the GMX200 (and the later model MX20's) actually run the displays upside down. You can see if this if you slam on the brightness control during power up. You'll see the NT4.0 boot info inverted at the bottom. On the rare times it blue screens before the watchdog timer just reboots it, you see that upside down as well.

Interesting. My GMX-200 reboots itself randomly during the warm months. This is preceded by the map display momentarily showing my position in incorrect locations in the general vicinity, repeatedly and at increased frequency until the screen goes dark. The crashes happen much more frequently if the display is on a graphics page, especially the map page. Rarely it shuts down with a message that I think indicates a General Protection Fault or similar.

It's going back to Garmin in a couple of weeks, hope what was said above isn't true and they will be able to fix it. The unit is fed by both my XM weather receiver (GDL-69) and ADS-B in (GDL-90), thus I have neither weather nor traffic without it.

The MX20 does that when it's running out of memory, frequently when the NEXRAD map gets busy.

The MX20 does that when it's running out of memory, frequently when the NEXRAD map gets busy.
And there was a notice about a similar problem with the GMX-200, and a software update to fix it. I got the update last year... no joy. :(

Buy a working as removed on Barnstormers and be done with it.... it’s toast

Sorry, I love my old GMX 200. Hope you can get yours fixed or replaced.

Buy a working as removed on Barnstormers and be done with it.... it’s toast
Not sure whose GMX-200 you're referring to, but mine is likely not toast - the pattern actually suggests a failed cooling fan, which would be an easy fix (for Garmin).

What they had better not do is charge me 1 AMU to inspect it and then tell me it's toast. Before I send it in I want to make sure that the charge is for a fixed (or replaced) unit.

Back