GMX200 vs Ipad

SinkorSwim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HFC1969
I have the opportunity to add a gmx200 when I upgrade for 2020, (yep haven't done it yet).

My question is.. hooked to a G430W what will the gmx200 do or give me that I can not perform on an Ipad connected to my G430W via wifi?

Thanks..

Take away useful load.....

Look cool.....

Give you a better moving map on the 430W.....

Show traffic ......

But is it worth it is the question? I’d say no. Add an iPad in a ram mount on the panel and you’ll have a better screen and more functions. I would not rip one out at this point. But I also would not put one in unless it was free.

The GMX200 is just a PC running NT. It has no innate traffic or weather or position information. It can only display/control other devices.
So the question becomes, what do you have to connect to the GMX200?

I have an MX20 but it's getting long in the tooth. It's limited in memory and data inputs compared to the GMX200 and blue screens periodically when the XM Weather NEXRADs get too busy. It's going when the Avidyne goes in.

The GMX200 is just a PC running NT. It has no innate traffic or weather or position information. It can only display/control other devices.
So the question becomes, what do you have to connect to the GMX200?

I have an MX20 but it's getting long in the tooth. It's limited in memory and data inputs compared to the GMX200 and blue screens periodically when the XM Weather NEXRADs get too busy. It's going when the Avidyne goes in.

I'm on the fence about is. I have an mx20 too, and like it because it's right up there on the panel in front of me, nice and big with traffic, wx, charts etc, radials from a second vor. Debating whether to keep it and get a an IFD 440, or ditch it for a 540.

I'm on the fence about is. I have an mx20 too, and like it because it's right up there on the panel in front of me, nice and big with traffic, wx, charts etc, radials from a second vor. Debating whether to keep it and get a an IFD 440, or ditch it for a 540.

540 without question.

540 without question.

Lots mo' money. What'll that do for me that a 440 + mx20 won't? And from what I understand, my second sl30 Nav won't display on the 540.

Lots mo' money. What'll that do for me that a 440 + mx20 won't? And from what I understand, my second sl30 Nav won't display on the 540.

Not display a blue screen .....o_O

Not display a blue screen .....o_O

I have no complaints on my mx. Never crashed on me, ever. I don't have xm, just FIS-B, which is plenty good for what I need.

There ya go then....some people like their trusty ol Honda and no car payments!

i have MX-200, when it dies, i will put a Aera 660 in its place and call it a day. it will connect to everything i have, WAY better than GMX-200, it will only receive inputs so good in a Certificated plane. OP, if you are mounting on the panel, explore Aera 660 because all the iJunk have a tendency to overheat and die when you need it the most

Back