GMAC Driver's Test

95%. Missed the one about where to look when the oncoming vehicle has its high beams on.

Then this begs the question...

Are pilots inherently safer drivers? ;) And if so, can we push to have our certificates give us discounts on car insurance? :D

100%

grrr... short post police strike again...

Are pilots inherently safer drivers? ;) And if so, can we push to have our certificates give us discounts on car insurance? :D
Ooooh! I like it! If getting good grades in school gets lower insurance rates, a pilot certificate should!

Ooooh! I like it! If getting good grades in school gets lower insurance rates, a pilot certificate should!

Considering the amount of observation we're required to have to perform our function as a pilot safely, I don't see why not. :D

Are pilots inherently safer drivers? ;)

IME, if the insurance company wanted to, they could raise our rates because we are pilots.

-I Fly Low

10. If you have trouble seeing other vehicles because of dust, precipitation, or smoke blowing across the roadway, you should drive slower and turn on your_______: (Select one)
a. Parking lights
b. Interior lights
c. Headlights

I disagree with the answer of c. By choosing C see MY visibility is reduced. Light scattering is not good.

10. If you have trouble seeing other vehicles because of dust, precipitation, or smoke blowing across the roadway, you should drive slower and turn on your_______: (Select one)
a. Parking lights
b. Interior lights
c. Headlights

I disagree with the answer of c. By choosing C see MY visibility is reduced. Light scattering is not good.

At night, I would agree - but at night you would already have headlights on. I think this question is assuming that you are driving during daylight at a time you normally wouldn't already have any lights on. During the day, reflection from headlights is much less likely to cause blindness but it does enhance your visibility to other drivers.

IME, if the insurance company wanted to, they could raise our rates because we are pilots.

-I Fly Low

True... I've been having a hard time getting the Passat up to 165KTAS. ;)

7. When waiting to make a left turn, you should give the right-of-way to vehicles coming from the opposite direction: (Select one)
a. Until at least two vehicles have passed
b. Until dangerously close cars have passed
c. Until all of the cars have passed

They claim the right answer is "c"- what a load of crap.

In most any urban area, that approach would preclude ever completing a left turn, except in the deep of the night.

90%, use high beams as little as possible, they ruin your night vision and annoy everyone else.

Disagree, they are there, light up the sides of the roads better (large 4-legged rodents called deer), and only annoy if you don't dim to traffic ahead.

Only wait for the dangerously close cars to pass before making the left. If I wait for all the cars, how will I ever make a left turn in any urban area?

Concur. I told the test what it wanted to hear. ;)

Disagree, they are there, light up the sides of the roads better (large 4-legged rodents called deer), and only annoy if you don't dim to traffic ahead.

Yeah, do remember that the test is looking for what the insurance company and your local DMV WANTS you to say you'll do, not what actually occurs. ;)

I once got my CBR-1100XX motorcycle up to 154kia.

well im glad you are alive to tell about it.

FWIW I have gotten my car faster than I have ever gotten my glider. Of course thats not really that fast. Highest Ive ever had the glider is 90 mph indicated. I pushed the car to 100 once.

7. When waiting to make a left turn, you should give the right-of-way to vehicles coming from the opposite direction: (Select one)

In most any urban area, that approach would preclude ever completing a left turn, except in the deep of the night.

That's the one I missed - for the same reasons!

I got my CBR600 up to 157 - but that was mph, and that's all she would do.

About right, I had a CBR600F2, would top out in the upper 140's, and a 600F4 that would top out in the upper 150's.

The GL1500A Goldwing ran out of steam in the mid-120's. :rofl:

I missed 2, only because I disagree with the headlight question in smoke, and because I don't care, if a cop wants me to run a red light or stop sign, he'll be disappointed in my behavior.

Fastest I've been? At least 125 in my old Mitsubishi Mirage, the speedometer was pegged (tied in a rental Impala, but that was for a much longer time)

My results with deer don't bear use of high beams. It just makes them freeze up sooner. I see just fine with low beams and have never hit a deer (or kangaroo which are a huge problem down under).

I got my CBR600 up to 157 - but that was mph, and that's all she would do.

150 through a curve was a bit more...um...yeah.

Best I can get out of my CB700SC is 140 mph. It may be slow but it is still fast enough to kill you. The 3.6 second 0-60 mph is nice for leaving cars behind at intersections.

90%, use high beams as little as possible, they ruin your night vision and annoy everyone else. Only wait for the dangerously close cars to pass before making the left. If I wait for all the cars, how will I ever make a left turn in any urban area?
100%. It's just a matter of knowing what they want to hear. I disagree with your high beam assesment, but agree on the left turn.

100%

When I was training I would find myself glancing at the panel, cross checking instruments as I drove away from the airport in the Mustang. :D

I've been 145mph on my FZX700 (200mi trip in 1hr and 55min with a stop for gas) and 155mph in my 95 Impala SS both on the autoban in Germany
BTW I scored a 95% I missed the one on where to park the car when the tire goes flat.

That's the one I missed too on my way to a 95%. I believe B is the correct answer. Heck, if you wait for all cars to pass it may be awhile, at least.

That's the one I missed too on my way to a 95%. I believe B is the correct answer. Heck, if you wait for all cars to pass it may be awhile, at least.

The correct answer would be "When oncoming traffic allows the turn to be made safely."

I regularly took my blueprinted & balanced Dodge Roadrunner up to 140 mph. I once took it up to 180 mph. The CHP loved that little chase. Instead of writing a ticket, he popped his hood so we could compare engines.:yes: He had gotten up to 220 mph to catch me for which he was grateful for the opportunity.:D

The only test that matters is whether I can miss that obstacle up ahead. Over or around, never through.

95%. I missed the crosswalk one. Pedestrians stop when they see me coming. ;)

OBTW, they forgot Hazmats on question 19...

100%... but, it doesn't say if I should add or subtract the 14 points on my driving record. :dunno:

As far as safer, I do have a lead foot. Most who drive for a living do... unless you have a safety department who watches you on a GPS monitor!

I think my scan habit has me looking at mirrors and out the windows around me a LOT more than most. That's why hand-held cell phones while driving ticks me off so much. Those people are in tunnel vision mode without a clue what's happening around them. Yesterday, some were doing so while driving in the storm with no headlights. That sort of blows the haywire out of the concept of "see and be seen" pilots live by.

Back