Glue Removal

Banjo33

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Banjo33
Need to replace some Velcro securing my carpet to the wing spar and floorboards. What's the best way to remove the old glue? Also, what have you all found to be the best method of securing carpet/Velcro? Thanks!

Unless it's something that is going to react with it (test inconspicuously), I've found that a commercial adhesive remover works best. To my analysis the stuff is frequently just kerosene or Naptha or the like with possibly a little soap mixed in. Paint outlets and auto parts stores typically have it.

Straight gasoline (which is dangerous anyhow) and regular Goof Off like products (which are typically xylene or toluene) don't tend to work as well.

Thanks Ron. Is standard 1" Velcro best for this purpose or is there something better? Any additional adhesive I should use, beyond what's already on Velcro?

Velcro works pretty well, but the normal hardware store self-adhering stuff has adhesive that tends to slip over time in heat. I've got lots of those little squares for things like my approach timer, etc...and they're sliding. I'd get velcro without adhesive and use some automotive stuff like the 3M trim or headliner adhesive to fix it down with.

I deal with Velcro all week in every condition imaginable.

I use Goof Off to remove any residue...found that to work best.

Retail available adhesive backed Velcro sux rocks. Any moderate heat inside the cockpit and the glue will loosen and fail.

If you are attaching to carpet or any fabric, there is not any adhesive backed versions that will stay long term. Your BEST route would be to take the Velcro and carpet to a seamstress and have them sew it on. Another DIY option would be to apply it to the back of the carpet and/or floor boards with a rubber cement.

Last edited:
MEK takes almost anything off. Just don't use it to remove glue from plastics. It will also remove brain cells if you don't use a respirator...

Goof-Off has worked great for me... variety of different adhesives. Test it first on a small hidden area.

My favorite glue remover is aircraft enamel reducer. It's slower flashing than MEK or average lacquer thinners. It's still noxious, though. Ventilation is a must.

For velcro? Go to a professional upholstery shop and buy some professional grade self-stick off their roll. You won't need to add glue. Cut to size to suit your requirements for holding power.

I'll have to counter. For real adhesive residue, I've found regular Goof All worthless. All it does in smell a lot and make the stuff harder. It's great for paint spills and the like, but the purposeful adhesive remover (which Goof Off also makes one) works a whole lot better.

Back