glucosamine

Depends if anyone actually believes me, which no one will in all probability.

I appreciate your expertise and contribution. I really do.

But as long as words and phrases such as may...should...might..."open question" are used in the discussion...

And clinical trials have uncovered benefits. Its just that some others haven't :rofl:

Your mileage may vary, and like I said, I've heard of worse things on which to spend your money. Like tickets to a Michigan game. Glucosamine is a far better investment of your money. Cold poison is probably better as well.

It's funny how many of the same people here complain about how the media get aviation stories wrong, but happily believe them on other stuff while ignoring a true expert.

It's not that, truly. It's not that I don't believe you (or Steingar) are presenting the science to the absolute best of modern understanding. But you're also asking me to ignore the feelings of my own body.

"Placebo effect" doesn't really cut it for me. Why? Because there are too many medications that are ineffective or only partially effective for me, despite the fact that they are FDA-approved, have had their effectiveness validated by numerous studies, and are widely prescribed and recommended.

Tylenol, for example, does nothing for me. (And I do mean nothing. It doesn't even relieve headaches for me, much less joint pain.) Celebrex also did nothing. Aspirin relieves the joint pain a little, but not very much. Ibuprofen is quite a bit better. Naproxen works great, but my doc advised me to take it only for occasional flare-ups because of long-term risk factors. Same for Tolectin. It worked great, but the long-term risk was too high especially, when you consider that I was a young man when I injured my shoulder.

As I got older, the pain got worse; and my doc would occasionally prescribe one of the above (or other) drugs. Some worked, some didn't; all were considered too risky for long-term use, and were only prescribed when the pain was acute.

Then my doc told me to try the G / C / M, and it worked -- pretty darn well, too. And an old girlfriend of mine (a physician with a holistic slant) suggested I add the Cat's Claw; and between the two, the pain is gone. If I stop taking them, it starts to comes back; when I resume taking them, it goes away.

If this is placebo effect, then why is it selective to G / C / M and/or Cat's Claw? Why didn't the Tylenol or the Celebrex help at all? Why does aspirin only help a little, Ibuprofen help more, and Naproxen or Tolectin completely eliminate the pain? My expectations were the same when each of these products were recommended / prescribed. I expected them to work because I trust my doctor. Yet some worked great, some didn't work at all, and most were somewhere in between.

Now here come the two of you, experts both, either of you having forgotten more about science than I'll ever know, making perfectly rational, reasoned, well-explained arguments as to why G / C / M doesn't work. The problem is, although I respect your knowledge and intentions, you're also asking me to deny what my own body is telling me (not to mention what millions of others have also found to be true).

To me, this doesn't create a conflict or argument, but rather a question: Why do these supplements seem to work for me (and for many others), despite what these experts I respect are saying. Could it be placebo effect? Maybe, but it doesn't seem likely given the fact that I've been occasionally treated with many different meds for at least one of these problems for almost 30 years, with widely varying results. But yes, it could conceivably be placebo effect.

But it's also possible that there is some not-yet-understood mechanism that makes these supplements effective in some people whose conditions have origins that the substances or their metabolites correct, that they meet not-yet-identified nutritional deficiencies in some people, or that they work by way of some other not-quite-understood biochemical mechanism.

So please don't mistake my puzzlement for disrespect. I respect what you say, I know you're experts in this sort of thing, and I believe you. But in the end, I can't ignore what my own joints are telling me.

-Rich

Last edited:
Rich- I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was picking on you. The compound seems to be working for you and I'll certainly be among the last to argue that point.

I don't pretend to be a true expert in biochemistry, as Steingar is. I've had some training, but my expertise is really in other areas.

There are differences in people that cause some medications to work better or worse- one form of these differences are called "single nucleotide polymorphisms" where a single change in DNA creates a protein that works well enough for normal physiology, but prevents the medicine from working as it should. This may, or may not, be the case for you with various pain killers, the theory behind this is still fairly new.

Also note there is a lot of garbage in the press (as we know all too well), and a whole industry has cropped up to take advantage of people's hopes and fears. Although many people that provide nutritional supplements or natural medicines are good and honest, there are also many that are greedy and take advantage of our confusion and fears. There are many in the pharmaceutical industry that would do this too, but the testing required by our government prevents most of the abuses. The supplement industry doesn't have the oversight that the pharmaaceutical industry does so the products sold vary widely in quality and efficacy (as mentioned earlier in this thread).

Many of the "alternative medicines" do contain compounds that work, but they have other effects that prevent them from being truly useful pharmaceutical compounds. I once isolated a molecule from a plant used by the Maori (New Zealand) as an anti-inflammatory. The crude extract showed up on our biochem assays as a potent anti-inflammatory. However, upon purification, a portion of the molecule contained a structure known to be toxic to people (the Maori only used it externally). There is nothing that would prevent me from selling the crude extract and an external anti-imflammatory- there is good science and history behind the use of this plant. I think people that purchased this extract would be concerned if they knew the pharma industry turned it down due to toxicity problems.

Again, if it works for you, that is well and good. Just be careful and understand what you are taking. The dosage is likely not controlled, and the amount of active ingredient may vary from batch to batch. If derived from a plant, there will be variation between crops.

I was also referring to some of the comments in the caffeine thread as well.

Last edited:
No worries, Cap'n. I just wanted to be clear that I wasn't being dismissive of yours and Steingar's expertise. Thanks for the additional information.

-Rich

Medications can work very differently on different people. The Cap'n correctly pointed out some of the genetic variation between individuals, including the millions of SNPs in the human genome. There are vast regions of copy number difference, and enough deletions, inversions, and insertions to maintain the genetic heterogeneity that drives human evolution. This genetic heterogeneity leads to physiological heterogeneity, which is why I find myself seriously saying your mileage may vary.

A great example is my former chairman, who ate whatever he wanted and never gained an ounce or lost a hair. His photo in the 90's couldn't be differentiated from one in the 70's. I hated that guy.*

I am a bit down on glucosamine because I don't see a biochemical or physiological mechanism of action, which is why I tend to think of placebo effects. That said, there is always something new under the sun. Heck, Cold Fusion seems to be making a comeback, so perhaps someone will come up with a physiological mode of action behind these supplements. However, I meant what I said. There are worse ways to spend your money, especially visa-vis Michigan football tickets. The worst thing that can happen is you're out a bit of cash. Compared to the potential benefit (feeling better), that doesn't seem so bad. But if you're overweight, I guarantee loosing a few pounds will do even more for you.

*actually, I miss my former chairman quite a bit. He was a good pilot and a god pal.

Medications can work very differently on different people. The Cap'n correctly pointed out some of the genetic variation between individuals, including the millions of SNPs in the human genome. There are vast regions of copy number difference, and enough deletions, inversions, and insertions to maintain the genetic heterogeneity that drives human evolution. This genetic heterogeneity leads to physiological heterogeneity, which is why I find myself seriously saying your mileage may vary.

A great example is my former chairman, who ate whatever he wanted and never gained an ounce or lost a hair. His photo in the 90's couldn't be differentiated from one in the 70's. I hated that guy.*

I am a bit down on glucosamine because I don't see a biochemical or physiological mechanism of action, which is why I tend to think of placebo effects. That said, there is always something new under the sun. Heck, Cold Fusion seems to be making a comeback, so perhaps someone will come up with a physiological mode of action behind these supplements. However, I meant what I said. There are worse ways to spend your money, especially visa-vis Michigan football tickets. The worst thing that can happen is you're out a bit of cash. Compared to the potential benefit (feeling better), that doesn't seem so bad. But if you're overweight, I guarantee loosing a few pounds will do even more for you.

*actually, I miss my former chairman quite a bit. He was a good pilot and a god pal.

Thanks for that, and for sharing your knowledge and making it understandable.

-Rich

I have been following these posts without comment, but as an academic orthopaedic surgeon specializing in arthritis surgery the data from multiple reviews seems to say that the pain relief from glucosamine chondroitin can be as good as even prescription non-steroidal anti inflammatories such as Celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc., with a lot less side effects. It will not regenerate cartilage, and the mechanisms by which it provides pain relief are not really well known.

Remember that glucosamine/chondroitin are regulated by the FDA as food additives (and not drugs), so they can make any claims they want, without substantiation (grows hair, enhances male performance, etc). Drugs, on the other hand, have to establish both efficacy as well as some sort of safety profile.

Acupuncture, physical therapy, and chiropractic all may have a role in providing pain relief due to arthritis as well. However, none of them has ever been shown to stop the progression of arthritis or to regenerate cartilage.

If any of these things work to help pain, then go for it. There's a lot we still don't know.

No, exercise helps in more ways than I can name. It has assisted my spouse as well. More flexibility (she even rode on the back of my race bike this summer), more endurance, and fewer illnesses.

I agree with the exercise approach (which occurs sooner than the weight loss...) I had been walking (slowly, about 2.5-3.0 mph) for about 30 min a day until mid-October. And even now with the knees hurting, a few minutes of walking reduces the pain considerably.

As a rule I don't take much in the way of medications (which really baffles both the AME and my GP). As an infant & toddler I was extremely ill and drugs were pushed into me all the time. Hence my reluctance to jump on the "better living thru modern chemistry" band wagon.

When something is prescribed, I call my neighborhood drug pusher (PhD, pharmacology) to learn more about the interactions and side-effects even after the physician feebly attempts to explain the same. Being on aspirin therapy, I don't take ibuprofen at all (and when I did, it really didn't help much).

Then how come mentholatum cures toenail fungus? Huh? Huh? And everybody in Oklahoma swears Airborn cures their colds, moles, sore holes, freckles, farts and fizzles.
Always happy to help. Beats arguing about politics.

Then how come mentholatum cures toenail fungus? Huh? Huh? And everybody in Oklahoma swears Airborn cures their colds, moles, sore holes, freckles, farts and fizzles.
ANd let's not forget the miraculous power of Goat Tears! :)

Apple Cider Vinegar - the newest not-so-modern cure-all! (At least, that's what the spam says)

I used Glucosamine/Chondroitin for a year or so a while back for knee pain. It made a noticeable difference to me. I've since lost 40+lbs (over 50, actually, but started Weight Watchers after already losing 10), forgot to refill my supply when I ran out and haven't noticed any recurrence of joint discomfort. Coincidental? perhaps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back