Gliders

Gucci Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Gucci Pilot
I know there are a few glider pilots on here and I've always wanted to get the commercial glider added on. I was wondering if anyone knew of any reputable place to do an accelerated commercial add-on course(4-7 days roughly)?

As far as previous experience I have about 11 flights and one solo in an L-23 but due to the fact it was an Air Force glider I flew doing a summer program at the Air Force Academy, none of it was logged or documented, so I would have to start from scratch. I do remember some of what I learned and have pretty much read the Glider Flying Handbook cover to cover.

I've pretty much figured an accelerated course to be my best option. With my schedule I would never be home enough to justify joining a club, when I would only be able to go out there to fly 2-3 months a year, and probably 4-5 days in those months. The closest commercial glider operation is about 2 hours away and I don't want to fly 3 times a month and then go a whole month without flying.

I know I won't be nearly as proficient as someone who trained at a club or a commercial operation over the course of many months, but really I am just looking to add the rating to the license and make it an excuse to take a week off of work.

Seminole Lakes in FL west of Orlando was great to fly with. Also enjoyed AZ Soaring and Turf Soaring, both outside Phoenix.

I've used the SSA site before and it is great but was looking more specifically for accelerated week long courses which it doesn't list.

Thanks for the recommendations! I knew about AZ Soaring but had no idea about the other ones. May give the one in SC or FL a try since they would be closer. Plus taking a week off in Dec. to fly gliders in Florida for a week sounds like a pretty good vacation to me!

I've used the SSA site before and it is great but was looking more specifically for accelerated week long courses which it doesn't list.

Thanks for the recommendations! I knew about AZ Soaring but had no idea about the other ones. May give the one in SC or FL a try since they would be closer. Plus taking a week off in Dec. to fly gliders in Florida for a week sounds like a pretty good vacation to me!
I'm a CFIG and the problem you'll run into trying to pull this off is one of scheduling. It's very doable at any of the schools IF you can line up the tow plane, pilot, ground crew, CFI and DPE. Many of the schools tend to be weekend operations, so scheduling stuff during mid-week can be problematic. The I've done PVT and COMM add-ons in 3 very busy days, but everything was lined up well in advance. It might be a bit easier to coordinate if you can find somewhere that will do it in a motorglider.

You might also check with these guys, I believe at one time they had a DPE on staff.

http://www.shebleaviation.com/Glider-Services

Good luck in your search. You're going to have a lot of fun doing this.

Last edited:
I'm a CFIG and the problem you'll run into trying to pull this off is one of scheduling. It's very doable at any of the schools IF you can line up the tow plane, pilot, ground crew, CFI and DPE. Many of the schools tend to be weekend operations, so scheduling stuff during mid-week can be problematic. The I've done PVT and COMM add-ons in 3 very busy days, but everything was lined up well in advance. It might be a bit easier to coordinate if you can find somewhere that will do it in a motorglider.

You might also check with these guys, I believe at one time they had a DPE on staff.

http://www.shebleaviation.com/Glider-Services

Good luck in your search. You're going to have a lot of fun doing this.

Sheble lost their on staff DPE. Or rather I should say, their staff DPE lost his DPE privileges. Lost more than glider privileges.

I can't advise anyone so here's a Pipistrel motor glider.

They were up at OSH, and they look like fun. :)

PipistrelVirus.jpg

I have not had personal experience, but heard good things from others:
http://www.azsoaring.com/
http://www.flygliders.com/

I may go to one of the above places to finish once I have completed my required solo flights at my local soaring club.

Starting to pursue this so I thought I would provide an update. Marfa Gliders(www.flygliders.com) is a finishing program only. He will not allow any solo flights in his glider. Apparently a student wadded it up and cost him almost $120,000 to replace. However, if you have the glider solo time, they will do all the required dual training, have you fly with an on staff instructor for the last few flights, then take the checkride with him. He is offering free checkrides up until Jun 30.

Last edited:
I'd suggest Sarah at Chilhowee or Jason at Estrella

The biggest problem you'll run into is having to travel somewhere to do it, and if you try to do it in a week you may never see a decent thermal the entire time you're in a glider so you may get the rating but you're only gonna be "book smart" as far as working lift goes. Of course once you have the rating its easy to wait for a good day and go and learn on your own or grab an instructor.

Let us know how it feels without the fan keeping you cool ;)

TN would be closer but I haven't done any GA flying(or traveling period) in AZ or NM and would really like to go down there to do it.

From the air, AZ and NM are brown with some rocks scattered here and there. TN is green with an occasional hill. All three states have plenty of hillbillies (of various flavors). Your call...

Notice that I didn't point out that AZ and NM have lots of sunshine while TN is east of the Mississippi and therefore doomed to overcast, haze, and rain.

Starting to pursue this so I thought I would provide an update. Marfa Gliders(www.flygliders.com) is a finishing program only. He will not allow any solo flights in his glider. Apparently a student wadded it up and cost him almost $120,000 to replace. However, if you have the glider solo time, they will do all the required dual training, have you fly with an on staff instructor for the last few flights, then take the checkride with him. He is offering free checkrides up until Jun 30.

Sounds like a great way to go out of business. Apparently he did not have insurance?

Talk to Carol. She is familiar with accelerated glider training. She is an awesome instructor and a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with.

Big Q Aviation

Her and I have some mutual friends. I may give this one a shot. Plus I've been itching to get back in a J3

Her and I have some mutual friends. I may give this one a shot. Plus I've been itching to get back in a J3
I was also going to suggest Big Q. It's a 7ish-day a week operation, and Carol's a DPE. So weather permitting, scheduling shouldn't be an issue. Let us know if you come down this way.

Gucci sorry to dig up an old thread. Did you pursue this?

Not yet. Just got back from a deployment and trying to get the ATP knocked out first. Will probably do it in the spring.

I am pretty sure I will be doing it at Big Q Aviation mainly because I have some friends in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

Back