Gliders ... coming to an airport near me?

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
A glider club is going to be setting up this weekend as a local turf field to see how well it can be used for glider operations. It's been years since I did anything with gliders and back then the launches that were done were with tow planes.

If I understand correctly this club will be using a tow plane but specifically want to use a winch system. They are evaluating the field as a place to possibly move their glider club to.

Can those with experience tell somewhat of how the local traffic blends in with the glider ops as the cable from the winch will cover the length of the field? I'm guessing that the launch cable is quickly moved out of the way after the launch is done.

I also want to get some glider time but that will have to wait until they get established and I understand that a person has to belong to the club to be trained.

Lastly, from what I have seen the winch launch is an insane ride that feels nearly vertical! We'll see how this all plays out over the weekend. I do believe we have a number of glider pilots on this forum.

TIA

Usually the glider pattern is different from the power pattern. Understand that they can't go around, and everything works out fine.

The glider pattern should and would be different. They also should be landing beside or on another runway....but also should be making position calls.

It can work. They were at our airport....till they were run off. o_O

The winch winds the cable toward the winch on launch, so there isn’t much left around on the runway. Generally, from what I’ve seen, the planes stage at the departure end, a truck or atv runs the cable down the runway & the glider launches immediately.

I’ve seen towed gliders use the GA runway, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a winch & gliders use the same active GA runway as powered planes. It seems they usually have their own dirt strip adjacent to the runway, since the winch haul is relatively short compared to a powered takeoff roll.

I have only seen the gasoline-powered wheeled winches, so a circular area wherr the winch can be oriented Into the wind makes it more useful.

Be patient after a glider lands, it may not be able to roll off the side of the rwy, and either way it needs to be pulled back to the staging area. So there will be more time spent clearing the rwy and back taxiing than some people like.

I've done a winch launch at the same time as powered flying and it works fine. The trick is to not stage on the actual runway. At Minden they used a parallel taxiway, at other places we've been able to use the grass. This allows the winch and glider to stage, wait for a break in traffic, then quickly hook up the cable and launch. The launch only takes a moment, but the remaining cable does take another moment or two to drop down from pattern altitude. Usually as long as powered traffic isn't at Base or closer, the timing should be plenty fine.

I really do appreciate the replies! This local field only has one turf runway but it is fairly wide at 150'. I'm not sure if they plan to set up to one side or in the middle of the field.

At this time there isn't a lot of traffic using this field but there is some and I have a few friends there I like to visit from time to time. As long as they are using radios and flying a predictable pattern it shouldn't be a concern.

Ours is extremely accommodating and considerate, hope yours is too!
It's not a problem if everyone follows the rules, talks...and listens!

At this time there isn't a lot of traffic using this field
This is likely why they are wanting to try it. They prefer to not interfere or have power traffic interning with their operations. Likely when power traffic wants to use the airport they will just work around arriving and departing traffic, by pausing operations while power traffic is using it.

That and finding a field without a lot of traffic, that is long enough to support winch launching.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

This is likely why they are wanting to try it. They prefer to not interfere or have power traffic interning with their operations. Likely when power traffic wants to use the airport they will just work around arriving and departing traffic, by pausing operations while power traffic is using it.

That and finding a field without a lot of traffic, that is long enough to support winch launching.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I actually recommended this particular field as I was speaking with a CFI for the club that stopped at the paved strip where I hangar. This field is 4000' (or nearly so) and is plenty wide but surrounded by trees. In the event of a rope break there doesn't appear to be many options in close to the field.

I actually recommended this particular field as I was speaking with a CFI for the club that stopped at the paved strip where I hangar. This field is 4000' (or nearly so) and is plenty wide but surrounded by trees. In the event of a rope break there doesn't appear to be many options in close to the field.

That’s the cool thing about winch launch’s, you get altitude so quickly you can either land straight ahead or easily return back or do a 360 to land in the event of a rope break..

Aerotowing it is nice to have an emergency landing area beyond the runway in case of a rope break below 200’. Above 200’ a return back to the runway is usually easily accomplished and practiced.
With a 4000’ runway I am guessing they will be crossing the far thread hold at about 100-150’ feet unless they have a really good tow plane, like a Pawnee 250/260.

Brian

Watching some vids on winch launching shows the rate of climb to be pretty exhilarating! I'm waiting for them to get set up & I can see what it will take to get some glider time.

I see you are in Boise Idaho. I have family over there in Nampa. Beautiful countryside!

Gliders need a lot less ground roll for takeoff and landing. So they can operate on the grass next to a runway, between taxiways.

Have never done winch launch, but there is a place somewhat local that does it. I have talked to owner/instructor. Just need to find the time and bucks to get my winch tow training and sign off.

Here's a little food for thought. It all works out just fine as long as everyone plays nice. When someone decides that AIM 4-1-9 and AC90-66b are only advisory (and therefore doesn't apply to them), things can occasionally get a little sporty.

The only thing that really trips my trigger is the simultaneous right and left base legs. Even though the gliders are going to the grass, a lot of power pilots seem to have trouble staying in their lane. Oh, and theres always that one Dilbert that does the early "left turn out" in the right-hand pattern.

Document

Whenever I watch winch launches on YouTube, I have the launch anthem from TopGun playing in my head. Wowza! That must be quite a ride, even in a glider.

Whenever I watch winch launches on YouTube, I have the launch anthem from TopGun playing in my head. Wowza! That must be quite a ride, even in a glider.
It’s even more fun when the winch (or in my case, pickup) stops just as the instructor is pulling back on the stick to accelerate after liftoff.

Landing, yes. But takeoffs are pretty much dependent on the performance of the tow plane, no?

I stated ground roll. Yes, the tow plane can take more to take off. But you can have the two plane on the pavement and the glider just off on the grass

It’s even more fun when the winch (or in my case, pickup) stops just as the instructor is pulling back on the stick to accelerate after liftoff.

in the Navy, we’d calibrate the cat by launching old cars into the water. Your way sound more exciting. One JG, more or less, is not a big thing in the fleet.

FAA circular
AC 90-66A on how mixed powered & glider traffic works (it says here…)
80015DA1-F933-4B96-A499-7A8646A7DB71.jpeg

in the Navy, we’d calibrate the cat by launching old cars into the water. Your way sound more exciting. One JG, more or less, is not a big thing in the fleet.
Launching old cars…tell us more. I doubt the local fish were happy

Just to update ... flew over to the fine turf runway where the glider club was doing some flying so they could survey it for possible Glider ops for their club. I was standing at the hangar when one of the CFI's asked if I'd like to take a ride. We know the answer to that question.

I will admit that the launch with the winch was exhilarating with the nose up high and climbing steeply at 50 knots! Not much energy in the air so the flight wasn't a long one but I do believe I will have to explore this glider thing for a few more hours! :D

Back