Glider Update

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Well no flying for me last weekend, at least not in the Glider. But it did present the opportunity to get some work done on it that ive been wanting to do for a while. Number one was to get the tear in the fabric fixed, and it was very nice to get it done. A local A&P and experimental buff helped me out. It was very cool to watch him work and learn a little bit about how that all works. Then I pulled out my two variometers (rate of climb) as one didnt work at all and the other barely worked. Replaced with a nice mechanical Winter variometer that works like a charm, also reduced weight, cant ask for more. Lots of associated work including pulling out old hardware, wires, tubing etc. Replaced hose from Pitot tube to ASI. Also took Ken Ibolds advice and adjusted my altimeter so it now reads the correct altitude at the local altimeter setting. Finally I pulled it over to the FBO and gave it a well deserved bath. Keeping the ship assembled in the hangar for a couple weeks as I am using the trailer to move me from Cedar Rapids to Ames on August 12. Plan on flying the glider to the EAA picnic in Ankeny (15-20 miles south) that afternoon. Sorry forgot to snap some pics of the new panel. Next time.

Glad to see that gliders take the same amount of love and care as powered planes. Question, what is a "Winter variometer" and how is it different than anyother variometer?

Winter is the name of the company that builds them.

Glad to see you taking care of your glider Tony! She sure is pretty.

heh no worries Scott, I remember wondering the same thing. Thanks Nick, I gotta get some more pictures of it.

tonycondon said:
Winter is the name of the company that builds them.
Und, pronounced "Vinter", mein Herr:D

smigaldi said:
Glad to see that gliders take the same amount of love and care as powered planes. Question, what is a "Winter variometer" and how is it different than anyother variometer?

It's read by listening to the variations in the teeth chatter of the fridgid pilot and is more uncomfortable to use than other types of variometers.

haha dave.

actually...you could pretty easily make a fairly accurate AGL altimeter for gliders by measuring the prespiration of the pilot.

Back