Glider Training

AVIATORRANDYCFI

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Randy
As you all know i am self grounded ( medical ) with cancer and was wondering about a glider rating. Is it like the LSA certificate and that i will have to wait till my medical expires in December to be able to apply for a glider rating or can i go do it now? What about CFI glider rating same thing? Thanks in advance Randy

As you all know i am self grounded ( medical ) with cancer and was wondering about a glider rating. Is it like the LSA certificate and that i will have to wait till my medical expires in December to be able to apply for a glider rating or can i go do it now? What about CFI glider rating same thing? Thanks in advance Randy

From what I understand, if you have a medical problem that would ground you under your normal medical, you can not just let it expire and fly on. The LSA just states that you do not have to get a medical if you have a valid DL and would/can pass a medical exam.

The glider app requires you to sign that you have no medical condition that would not allow you to safely fly gliders. There really isn't any requirement regarding "expiration" vs "loss" of other medical privileges, nor is there a current driver's license requirement. The statement, however, DOES open the same loopholes, intentionally or otherwise, that exist with the LSA medical requirements.

Fly safe!

David

My impression is the same -- if you know your cancer (or medication you are taking to deal with it) "would make [you] unable to operate [an] aircraft in a safe manner," then 14 CFR 61.53(b) prohibits you from acting as a required pilot crewmember, including in a glider. However, there is nothing to prevent you from taking glider training in anticipation of soloing when you are no longer "unable to operate [an] aircraft in a safe manner."

However, there is nothing to prevent you from taking glider training in anticipation of soloing when you are no longer "unable to operate [an] aircraft in a safe manner."
That brings up a good point, Ron...In order to obtain a student pilot certificate for gliders, you fill out the same 8710, with its statement of general health, and an examiner issues your student pilot certificate.

On the other hand, if you are already certificated for power, no student pilot certificate is issued, and no statement of general health is signed. You are, however, still bound by the regulations governing your current certificate, which include 61.53, for solo operations.

Fly safe!

David

Edit: Since I was spouting my knowledge of the subject, I decided to actually look...the last 8710 I filled out (for CFI renewal over a year ago) doesn't seem to have the statement of health for glider and free balloon pilots. Has this been removed, and we are now operating solely with reference to 61.53?

yes david, the statement has been removed. no where does a glider pilot have to sign anything anymore certifying anything about his health. It is all self certification, just like in between medical exams.

Back