Glider to PPL

ripnet

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ripnet
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have 4.3 hours of Dual Received from several years ago while learning how to fly a glider. I never continued to receive any certificate with the glider.

Now, funds are back, and I'm in training for PPL. Can I use those glider hours toward my 40 hour minimum for PPL? Let's assume I'll be ready at 35.7 hours in the C172 for the sake of this.

Thanks

I think so.

Here are the regs. Note they specify single engine for some of them. Not specifically mentioned for the total 40 hours...

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/61.109

Just start taking lessons. If yer looking pretty sharp at 20-30 hours, have the conversation with your CFI. All CFI's should have a relationship with the DPE (FAA appointed examiner) that is going to test you, and they should be able to let you know for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks. I did start my training, around 8 hours now. CFI said I should be ready in 40. I'll have him ask a DPE.

Just wanted to add, there's NEVER a need to rush anything. So what if some training takes 60 hours rather than 50, or 40? The idea is to be safe, and of course, enjoy the ride!

Press on!

Yes, but... I'd be very surprised if your CFI is going to sign you off at 35.7 hrs. The nationwide average is more like 60 hrs. In that case, whether the 4.3 glider hrs won't matter. I had a couple dozen glider flights before starting my power ticket. I didn't and still don't include my glider dual received time in my totals.

That hardly means that the glider time is not valuable. Long, high aspect ratio glider wings teach rudder discipline that many inexperienced pilots often lack. Also, your spot landing skills and forward slips to land.

Back