Glider to power transition?

What you have is personal experience with flight schools and DPEs misreading and applying the FARs.

The term "authorized instructor" means an instructor with the rating for which the training is. Did I say that right?

Yep - Exactly. However...

A CFI-G cannot provide any of the 20 hours required for a PP airplane rating.

Wrong. A CFI-G cannot provide any training *in an airplane* unless they're also a CFI-A.

The FAR's do NOT specify that the 20 hours must all be in single-engine airplanes, nor even in airplanes at all.

It has long been a problem with DEs not being able to de-code the category requirements.

Really? I've never heard of anyone being able to get by without the requirements.

40 hours flight time - ok, we know that can be any kind of aircraft time.

We do? How?

Then it says "20 hrs with an authorized instructor

So, how is this different from the 40 hours? The solo time clearly specifies that it must be in an ASEL. The dual does not. Yes, the dual specifies the maneuvers - But look at the list of maneuvers for gliders and for airplanes - Lots of duplicates.

So, how is this different from the 40 hours? The solo time clearly specifies that it must be in an ASEL. The dual does not. Yes, the dual specifies the maneuvers - But look at the list of maneuvers for gliders and for airplanes - Lots of duplicates.
The 40 hrs says "flight time", but the 20 dual and 10 solo reference the ASEL maneuvers, and your point about the "duplicates" are what everyone uses as an attempt to double dip. It happens (or used to) more frequently in the airplane to helicopter, or vice-versa, add-ons precisely because of the point you make, that some maneuvers are duplicated.

But the reg says "with an authorized instructor". even though it does not continue to say "in a single engine airplane", you won't be able to convince a jury that instruction in a glider with a glider instructor, who is also a single engine airplane instructor, will count as the required 20 hours of instruction towards the single engine airplane rating.

And having had many many hours as both an airplane and helicoptor instructor, I know there are no "duplicates".

And, although I am not a glider pilot, I know that handling the engine on an airplane is the single most difficult thing to overcome. There is nothing duplicated in the training of these different machines. Not even a simulated forced landing. Gliding in an airplane is not like gliding in a glider. Neither are x/cs. Not remotely similar.

The 40 hrs says "flight time", but the 20 dual and 10 solo reference the ASEL maneuvers, and your point about the "duplicates" are what everyone uses as an attempt to double dip. It happens (or used to) more frequently in the airplane to helicopter, or vice-versa, add-ons precisely because of the point you make, that some maneuvers are duplicated.

But the reg says "with an authorized instructor". even though it does not continue to say "in a single engine airplane", you won't be able to convince a jury that instruction in a glider with a glider instructor, who is also a single engine airplane instructor, will count as the required 20 hours of instruction towards the single engine airplane rating.

Don't need to convince any juries, just the DPE and AFaIK the interpretation you disbelieve is the one that every DPE I know goes by.

I think if you look you'll find many other examples where experience and/or training requirements don't specify a category and/or class and the interpretation has always been that unless those were called out in the specific reg any experience that met whatever was specified would suffice.

And having had many many hours as both an airplane and helicoptor instructor, I know there are no "duplicates".

Interesting that you have that perspective. IIRC there was a serious debate about the minimums required for a fixed to rotor wing transition (or vice versa) and someone (Ed Guthrie I think) got a CC response that came down on the side that is consistent with my interpretation here.

And, although I am not a glider pilot, I know that handling the engine on an airplane is the single most difficult thing to overcome. There is nothing duplicated in the training of these different machines. Not even a simulated forced landing. Gliding in an airplane is not like gliding in a glider. Neither are x/cs. Not remotely similar.
That could all be true (I actually disagree and have both ratings but that's just my opinion) but not terribly relevant.

Back