glider in for annual

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Taking the glider in for annual next week. then pack it up in the trailer for the winter. mechanic figures itll cost me 125 bucks or so and take 3 hours. its times like these i really really like not having an engine.

I need to get the static system hooked back up. currently it is just using the static air pressure from the interior of the glider, which seems to be working fine. originally the static line coming from the static ports was split, one side went to the panel and another side went to a compensator for a variometer. i removed the compensator so just put an inline connector from the static ports to the panel. i used a tubing connector i got at Lowes Aviation Superstore which had a smaller diameter than the static tube. This caused serious lag in the static system, as in after I landed the altimeter was still ticking down from about 300 feet AGL! this is why i just unhooked the thing. Im suspecting i need a different type of connection, any suggestions?

tonycondon said:
his caused serious lag in the static system, as in after I landed the altimeter was still ticking down from about 300 feet AGL! this is why i just unhooked the thing. Im suspecting i need a different type of connection, any suggestions?

Land slower?

haha jason, i dont think i could really land much slower. in fact in just about every respect, my glider is about as slow as you can get and still fly!

yea scott, i figured i had to rub it in :)

but dont worry, you guys pay all that extra money for the near guarantee that you will make it to your destination. i go cheap and never even know what my destination is until im on final!

tonycondon said:
I need to get the static system hooked back up. currently it is just using the static air pressure from the interior of the glider, which seems to be working fine. originally the static line coming from the static ports was split, one side went to the panel and another side went to a compensator for a variometer. i removed the compensator so just put an inline connector from the static ports to the panel. i used a tubing connector i got at Lowes Aviation Superstore which had a smaller diameter than the static tube. This caused serious lag in the static system, as in after I landed the altimeter was still ticking down from about 300 feet AGL! this is why i just unhooked the thing. Im suspecting i need a different type of connection, any suggestions?

The simplest thing would probably be to run a new line from the port to your variometer. I am puzzled why the diameter reduction of a connector should have such a drastic effect given the tiny volume of air that has to move through it. That leaves me wondering if you don't have some other restriction in the line (mud dauber, kinked bend etc). And what was used for the split originally? Seems like it would have about the same ID as a connector. If not, perhaps you could re-install the split and plug the extra port.

lancefisher said:
The simplest thing would probably be to run a new line from the port to your variometer.
problem is that the connections from the static ports to the static hoses are completely inaccesible. they mustve been hooked up when before the glider was covered. no inpections holes near there and the empennage structure consists of cross braces every foot or so from the cockpit to the tail, so no way anything can get back there.

I am puzzled why the diameter reduction of a connector should have such a drastic effect given the tiny volume of air that has to move through it. That leaves me wondering if you don't have some other restriction in the line (mud dauber, kinked bend etc). And what was used for the split originally? Seems like it would have about the same ID as a connector. If not, perhaps you could re-install the split and plug the extra port.

i was puzzled too. i dont think it is a plug but will check it out. the split originally was a T connection with the tapered ends. the replacement inline connector was more of a rounded connector instead of tapered. I was thinking the same about ID of the connectors. Im thinking the way you are thinking about plugging up the extra port on the T.

tonycondon said:
haha jason, i dont think i could really land much slower. in fact in just about every respect, my glider is about as slow as you can get and still fly!

It still cracks me up that in the powered aircraft I slow down when I enter the pattern and in the glider I speed up.

yea quite often, especially when im flying locally, the fastest indicated airspeed i fly is in the approach to landing

I'd never thought about it in those terms, but dang if y'all aren't right! 43 v. 55!

well didnt go too bad today. No real problems were found. Needed a little work on the Airbrake/Wheel brake handle so we removed it. Mechanic is going to bead blast it and prime it and fix a cable connection on it and then we will put it back in this weekend. No termites or cracks in the wing spar so I'm happy!

tonycondon said:
well didnt go too bad today. No real problems were found. Needed a little work on the Airbrake/Wheel brake handle so we removed it. Mechanic is going to bead blast it and prime it and fix a cable connection on it and then we will put it back in this weekend. No termites or cracks in the wing spar so I'm happy!

Yeahbut, how was the cylinder compression?:D

Handle is back in, glider is signed off and put away for the winter.

Back