glider flight today

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Instead of going to Sidnaw, leah and I trailered the Cherokee out to Ulysses, KS. That is nearly in colorado (only 35 miles west), nearly a 5 hour haul with the truck/trailer.

this morning got up with the sun and rigged, ready to go and excited to be flying in a new place. well fog and clouds took a while to burn off. I was the second to launch, at 3:50 PM. Not enough time left in the day to really go anywhere so I decided to just play around locally, maybe do a small "local" triangle or something, and get used to flying my glider again. All goals accomplished. I flew for 2 hours, keeping my 2 hour per flight average alive this season. I had some fun doing runs upwind about 9 miles from the airport, flying straight going faster in sink and nice and slow in lift. On many of the runs i actually gained altitude or lost only a few hundred feet over many miles travelled. That was fun. I had a few low saves that prevented me from landing out. Some good lift was encountered, one thermal I cored with a steady 500 fpm on the vario.

I doodled around closer to the airport as the day died and landed just before 6. Steve Leonard had been nice enough to loan me a GPS Logger so I was able to post my trace to the OLC. here is the link:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1923163696

You can see the how I was able to fly straight with little altitude loss there. Steve has a Nimbus 3 which has about 2.5 times the glide ratio of my glider. thanks to the OLC's handicapping system I was able to beat steve's score for the day by 4 points. :D

Hopefully the weather tomorrow will get started earlier and I can do some cross country flying. I promised Leah ice cream if she chases me and I think she is craving it. she was really pushing me to fly somewhere today.

Monday the goal will be to fly back to Wichita, or at least get as close as possible. Should be fun. I'll try to report back tomorrow night.

That's the way to do it Tony. Great practice and fun too. Hats off to your crew. Leah, we compliment you!

ran downwind (to the north today. landed in a dirt field after travelling 91 miles. lift was good to start with but tapered off as i went north. that was pretty much as forecast. Once i get the trace sent to me i'll upload it. hoping to run east as far as I can tomorrow and then trailer the rest of the way to wichita.

good lift today when it was good. i had one climb up to 9000 MSL at at least 500 fpm. Circled with steve in the Nimbus and we have comparable climb rates. he smokes me in the glide though (58:1 vs. 23:1)

last flight of the weekend was today. made an attempt to go east but didnt really get far. ran into some large shadows from high cirrus and some building storms. hung out for a while attempting to make progress into the wind but it didn't happen. here is the trace:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1746780938

Leah was there within a half hour and we were on the road by 5 PM. home by 10:15. can't complain at all. Had a great weekend and I decided that travelling with the glider is the way to go.

yep she's pretty great. its wonderful to have the help when flying.

Leah crews for him for ice cream! I am jealous. Leah, I will include pizza, steak, shrimp, or whatever to get you to crew for me. You are not big enough to eat that much.

Rick

Leah crews for him for ice cream! I am jealous. Leah, I will include pizza, steak, shrimp, or whatever to get you to crew for me. You are not big enough to eat that much.

Rick

I know a 1-26 pilot out here in the west.
That every time he got a Diamond Leg completed in his 1-26.
She got another Diamond too... :) and they were not small.:D

Back