Glider Crash and SPOT save, Excellent report

Frank was right behind me in the takeoff line that day. I'm sure glad he's OK.

Those SPOTs are great, one of the local schools send all x-country flight up with a SPOT in the baggage compartment.

Those SPOTs are great, one of the local schools send all x-country flight up with a SPOT in the baggage compartment.

they ought to put them on the glareshield since they need a clear view of the sky to send out a position...

we all were flying tasks set by the CD, so while we didn't have flight plans filed with the FAA, we were all flying a predetermined route and SAR would have a general idea of where to look for us.

Great write-up and glad it worked out OK for him, thanks for sharing. He seems like he was much better prepared than most for his adventures. A lessor prepared person may not have faired as well.

Great write-up and glad it worked out OK for him, thanks for sharing. He seems like he was much better prepared than most for his adventures. A lessor prepared person may not have faired as well.

Yea, spending a night outside in that area can easily be fatal. Us flying at the contest were unaware of what Frank had gone through except that he had crashed, was OK, and was headed home. Between that and the first day's safety breifing from a local pilot who was well on his way to a hypoxia/dehydration death when he was found by his crew at about midnight after a landout, i did a little beefing up on my survival kit.

Back