Glider Add-on

GCA319

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
GCA319
Any glider pilots on here? I may be interested in doing an add-on and I'm looking for what to expect and any tips anyone may have for me (reccomended reading etc). I'm a Commercial pilot/CFI in airplanes, but I'll probably only want Private privileges in gliders for the time being (less solo flights required and less money than doing the Commercial add-on).

I always say go straight for the commercial. The ten extra solo flights is cheaper then prepping and paying for another checkride. Pretty easy, if you are at a club it can take awhile. Quickies at commercial operations can be rushed and a bit light on the soaring, no worries it is a glider license you can spend decades getting better at soaring. Where you going?

> The ten extra solo flights is cheaper then prepping and paying for another checkride.

+1

I always say go straight for the commercial. The ten extra solo flights is cheaper then prepping and paying for another checkride. Pretty easy, if you are at a club it can take awhile. Quickies at commercial operations can be rushed and a bit light on the soaring, no worries it is a glider license you can spend decades getting better at soaring. Where you going?
I'll be going to a Commercial operation at 0E0 (Moriarty, NM). My main concern is keeping the cost down , so I feel like doing the Private is probably the smartest option at this point in time.

Last edited:
From what I understand about Gliders...be prepared to sit around and wait alot for the glider. When you finally get in it...you do the one landing and keep practicing those which evidentally takes a bit to learn. I waited 8 hours to get two flights in.

You can download the FAA glider pilots handbook fro free here:
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/glider_handbook/media/faa-h-8083-13.pdf

With all the ratings you have it should not be much of an issue to get your rating. You will learn what adverse yaw is for sure and how the yaw string is the most important instrument (if you can call it that) on the glider.

I started in gliders in the early 90s and am now working on my PPL. I also fly hangliders.. my glider rating has lapsed but hope to return after my ppl...

If you learn through a club your costs will be much less than an FBO. Also with all your ratings maybe you could get the tow pilot add on and trade tows for free glider privilages... Anyhow here is a link to a club in ABQ..
http://www.abqsoaring.org/

Chances are you will get hooked so prepare to sit and dream about thermals and wave all day...

Marc

From what I understand about Gliders...be prepared to sit around and wait alot for the glider. When you finally get in it...you do the one landing and keep practicing those which evidentally takes a bit to learn. I waited 8 hours to get two flights in.

It seems to depend on the place you are training at. When I trained I got to go up three times in a row (sometimes more if I wanted) each Saturday. It all depended on who else showed up and wanted to go up. This was at a private grass field and the owner used his garden tractor to tow the glider around the field after it landed.

Sometimes I'd get there early enough that the only people around were the tow pilot (who owned the field next to his house and the tow plane) and the CFIG (his significant other.) It is how I learned how to do launches in their SGS 2-33 without a wing runner. You have to angle the glider so the drag of the down wing and pull on the nose yields a motion that gives you time to pick up speed before being dragged off into the weeds by the wing in contact with the ground. Aileron and rudder hard over at start and some quick reversal/centering when the down wing comes up and you're off! I actually enjoyed that small bit of challenge at the start; not sure why.

Post Mills 25 years ago?
It seems to depend on the place you are training at. When I trained I got to go up three times in a row (sometimes more if I wanted) each Saturday. It all depended on who else showed up and wanted to go up. This was at a private grass field and the owner used his garden tractor to tow the glider around the field after it landed.

Sometimes I'd get there early enough that the only people around were the tow pilot (who owned the field next to his house and the tow plane) and the CFIG (his significant other.) It is how I learned how to do launches in their SGS 2-33 without a wing runner. You have to angle the glider so the drag of the down wing and pull on the nose yields a motion that gives you time to pick up speed before being dragged off into the weeds by the wing in contact with the ground. Aileron and rudder hard over at start and some quick reversal/centering when the down wing comes up and you're off! I actually enjoyed that small bit of challenge at the start; not sure why.

I really enjoyed starting in sailplanes. It has helped me imensly moving to my PPL. I use to hate wing down launches in the Blanik since it was a high wing so you started off angled over to one side quite a bit. In the G103 with its mid wing, its not much of an issue or challenge. However the G103 is a pig in the air and I preffered the light feel and control harmony of the Blanik L13 to the Grob. Grob just felt heavy in all respects... Anyone know if the Blanik L13 are still grounded?

Oh damn... you now have me wanting to go back to soaring right now. I have been fighting the urge while I work on my PPL...:rolleyes2:

I really enjoyed starting in sailplanes. It has helped me imensly moving to my PPL. I use to hate wing down launches in the Blanik since it was a high wing so you started off angled over to one side quite a bit. In the G103 with its mid wing, its not much of an issue or challenge. However the G103 is a pig in the air and I preffered the light feel and control harmony of the Blanik L13 to the Grob. Grob just felt heavy in all respects... Anyone know if the Blanik L13 are still grounded?

Oh damn... you now have me wanting to go back to soaring right now. I have been fighting the urge while I work on my PPL...:rolleyes2:

:rofl: if you are a soaring pilot you know motored flight will never be enough:lol:
What is the Wright brothers quote about going back to gliders because they were more fun. Smart guys.

You can download the FAA glider pilots handbook fro free here:
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/glider_handbook/media/faa-h-8083-13.pdf

With all the ratings you have it should not be much of an issue to get your rating. You will learn what adverse yaw is for sure and how the yaw string is the most important instrument (if you can call it that) on the glider.

I started in gliders in the early 90s and am now working on my PPL. I also fly hangliders.. my glider rating has lapsed but hope to return after my ppl...

If you learn through a club your costs will be much less than an FBO. Also with all your ratings maybe you could get the tow pilot add on and trade tows for free glider privilages... Anyhow here is a link to a club in ABQ..
http://www.abqsoaring.org/

Chances are you will get hooked so prepare to sit and dream about thermals and wave all day...

Marc
Unfortunately I lack the TW endorsement necessary to Tow gliders in the Pawnee.

Any glider pilots on here? I may be interested in doing an add-on and I'm looking for what to expect and any tips anyone may have for me (reccomended reading etc). I'm a Commercial pilot/CFI in airplanes, but I'll probably only want Private privileges in gliders for the time being (less solo flights required and less money than doing the Commercial add-on).
The handbook, mentioned earlier, pretty much covers it all. XC soaring and competitive soaring is a different story, but you won't have to worry about that for the ratings. You can learn about that later if you "go hardcore". For the PP-G, just focus on learning the regs, ground ops, visual signals, glider performance,and interpreting soaring forecasts.

Depending on the training environment, you may find you have enough solo flights for the commercial requirement before you even do the PP checkride. I did... just the way it worked out, due to various factors (not my ability to get signed off for the checkride, LOL!). You will also probably have a good amount of thermaling or ridge-flying experience by that time, as well... when there's good lift, it's a shame to just do pattern hops or standard maneuvers when you're training. On my second lesson, my instructor had me working thermals for an hour and a half. Probably more circling than I'd done in over 200 hours of power flying, but what a rush to gain hundreds of feet of altitude just by carefully working some rising air! It's like magic! Soaring is very special in that regard. You may become a lift junkie; it's addictive.

Most commercial operations will move you quickly through the training, provided the wind and weather are suitable often enough... but you will pay extra for that. Instructor time, glider time, tow fees... it can get pretty expensive.
Clubs can save you a lot of dough, if you don't mind sometimes devoting a whole day for one or two lessons. Our club is quite small and informal, usually only meeting on weekends, with only one towplane, one trainer, and one single-seater. So I didn't get my PP-G by flying every other day; it took a while. But it was usually due to other factors. Winter tends to shut down our operation, and work and other "real life: stuff have a way of dashing my glider-flying plans. I've learned to enjoy hanging out all day, and once in a while the stars align so that I can just go down to the airport and take a flight with only the tow pilot's help, and maybe one other club member. And for sure, when I was a newbie, sometimes I had the instructor, towplane, and glider all to myself for the whole day, if i wanted.
In short, even with a proper glider school, the need for more personnel and equipment, and fairly low wind limitations for beginners, makes things a little more complicated than taking dual in a power plane. But I'm pretty happy with my club, its cost, and how it operates.

As a club member, instruction is free, and once I get my commercial (this summer, I hope), whenever I am PIC taking a paying customer for a hop, there's no tow fee for me. So I am willing to make a few more dual flights, flying from the back seat, and pay for the examiner's fee a second time... it will be worth it next year, for sure. I'd recommend you go for it, as time and money allow.

You will really enjoy the challenge of revisiting the fundamentals of flying, and learning some new tricks specific to gliders. And here's a tip: if you do aerotows, remember first and foremost that although it's sort of like formation flying, it's mostly like getting hauled through the air on the end of a 200-foot rope. Don't forget that. :wink2:

Some of my very first TW time was towing gliders in a SuperCub. I was learning how to tow and how to fly a taildragger at the same time and of course I had a qualified teacher along. IIRC there was no problem keeping the airplane pointed straight down the runway with a glider pulling back on the tail but it did get exciting if the glider lifted off and started climbing before the tug was ready to fly.

They are.

To the OP, go straight for the Commercial. Check out the cost of 10 additional pattern tow flights vs. comming back and doing another crash course to "Get'r done". And the additional $300 DPE fee for a second check ride.

The maneuvers are the same for Private or Commercial, just tighter tolerances.
Get the Glider Pilot FAA handbook, study up on soaring weather, all the hand ground and maneuver inflight standard signals. Study up on glider instruments, varios, compensated vs uncompensated, total energy vs netto. Can you use a Skew-T and predict top for soarable lift, how high? Can you predict cloud base? What is "trigger temperature"?

Can you explain, thermal, wave, ridge and convergence zone lift? What are the rules for ridge soaring? Can you complete a cross controlled stall and recovery? I'm sure you can.

The more you can get out of the books, the better it will be. Enjoy Moriarity it's a great place. Do you have a local club to soar with after you are complete?

Edit: read the Soaring Safety Foundation on Grob 103 PIO tendencies, also go complete the online "Wing Runners" Course and print the completion certificate. It would not hurt to complete the Tow Pilots Course, even if you are not towing.

Edit II: I see you are from ABQ, so Moriarity would be your "Home Glider Field".

Last edited:

L13 tipped down to far? Do it in a SGS 2-33!
We have a Grob 103, a sweet flyer! You either love them or hate them, but they make great advanced trainers. I tell those transitioning to the Grob 103. "if you can fly this, you can fly almost anything". Lead turns with rudder, but not too much.

I believe the OP may be flying Grob 103s at Moriarity. They are good trainers for a reason.

Our students, first show, first served, get on the list. Each student gets 1hr of dedicated time. Depending on the weather that could be two high tows and a pattern tow, or a series of patterns tows, about 6 or 7 in the hour. In the summer, it could be one long thermal training and intro to XC decision making flight.

Wag that rudder! Let's go! ;)

(I need to go soaring.)

Ha Ha... that reminds me of a funny thing that happened to me one day. I was in the bLanik SOLO getting ready going through the checklist and such and luckily my canopy was down because for some reason I inadvertantly wagged my rudder. Sub conscious perhaps... But all of a sudden the glider starts moving and next thing I know I have to do a wing down takeoff and go. As soon as the glider moved I realized what I had accidentaly done seconds before... I was like Oh crap here we go...:yikes:.
Needless to say I never made that dumb move again... My wing runner was just as surprised as I was since he had not been given the signal to raise the wing and was thinking WTF is he doing now...

So yes wag the rudder, but make sure your ready to go when you do.

L13 tipped down to far? Do it in a SGS 2-33!
We have a Grob 103, a sweet flyer! You either love them or hate them, but they make great advanced trainers. I tell those transitioning to the Grob 103. "if you can fly this, you can fly almost anything". Lead turns with rudder, but not too much.

I think I was of the few that hate them... I just never felt comfortbale in it. I struggled with the cordination in it as I was so use to the Blanik. Perhaps I just needed more time in it. I flew a twin astir once and it got off the ground just before (sometimes after) the tow plane it was so heavy...:nonod:

My goal one day is to own a Ka8b as I love the vintage gliders and just enjoy lazy days soaring more than anything else.

I think I was of the few that hate them... I just never felt comfortbale in it. I struggled with the cordination in it as I was so use to the Blanik. Perhaps I just needed more time in it. I flew a twin astir once and it got off the ground just before (sometimes after) the tow plane it was so heavy...:nonod:

My goal one day is to own a Ka8b as I love the vintage gliders and just enjoy lazy days soaring more than anything else.

Depends on your tow plane. I can tell when the 2-33, Grob 103 or a water laden single seater breaks ground. I get a surge of acceleration when the rolling resistance stops. I never notice the 1-26. We tow with a 250HP Pawnee.

Getting that Ka8b sounds like a great plan.

Ha Ha... that reminds me of a funny thing that happened to me one day. I was in the bLanik SOLO getting ready going through the checklist and such and luckily my canopy was down because for some reason I inadvertantly wagged my rudder. Sub conscious perhaps... But all of a sudden the glider starts moving and next thing I know I have to do a wing down takeoff and go. As soon as the glider moved I realized what I had accidentaly done seconds before... I was like Oh crap here we go...:yikes:.
Needless to say I never made that dumb move again... My wing runner was just as surprised as I was since he had not been given the signal to raise the wing and was thinking WTF is he doing now...

Sounds like you need to remind the tow pilot that no matter what the rudder's doing, the tow shouldn't begin until the runner picks up the wing. Heck, you might have just been doing a control check! A smart runner knows not to hang out in front of the wing, but if they forget and the tow starts unexpectedly, that could be a bad deal. Or if the runner has just hooked you up, and is just heading over to stand by the wing... :eek:

Because our club launches from a runway used by everybody else, we stage the glider on the overrun and the towplane on the grass off the runway, a ways before the numbers. The towplane doesn't even take the runway until the glider's wing comes up (assuming there is a runner). This is partly to allow other traffic to take off or land, but it also adds a little safety padding for the glider launch itself. Our runners also use a big orange paddle and follow the standard signal procedures ("Take up slack" after the wing is raised, "Hold it" when the slack is gone but the rudder-wag hasn't happened yet, and "Go ahead" when the rudder-wagging is done and the runner sees that the glider is still ready and there is no conflicting traffic on final or on the runway. We do the rudder-wag as a challenge/response thing, too: tow pilot wags ("Ready?" then the glider pilot responds in kind). Works very well.

I've gotten pretty good at wing-low launches- even in a 2-33, if you're holding full opposite aileron initially and keep your feet ready, it's no big deal... if the glider is staged in the center of the runway. with a 50-ft wingspan on a 50-foot-wide runway with edge lights, that's pretty important. :D

Depends on your tow plane. I can tell when the 2-33, Grob 103 or a water laden single seater breaks ground. I get a surge of acceleration when the rolling resistance stops. I never notice the 1-26. We tow with a 250HP Pawnee.
Man, a 1-26 gets going pretty quickly even behind our 150hp Citabria... must be pretty exciting behind a 250hp Pawnee! :yikes:

That can be fixed at a good club.
Unfortunately, the TW endorsement is the least of it. Even getting the tow pilot endorsement is not a big deal (although it is pretty demanding flying). I believe I could get the tow endorsement in our Citabria with my current skills and the TW signoff, and fly tows without mishap... but I lack sufficient total time, TW time, and time in make and model to satisfy the insurance company. :(

Technically, I can ride back seat on tows to fulfill part of the tow endorsement, and every now and then I get some "non-acting PIC" time in the Citabria, but it's rare that glider weight and density altitude will allow me to tag along on tows (and fly it a bit afterwards), and it's rare that I get to fly it otherwise, 'cause it's mostly used for towing. Haven't even landed it. Until my finances improve, I can't do much about that situation, so getting there as a lapsed-medical power PIC who hardly ever flies power these days would be a long, slow road that I haven't really started on. Perhaps when I can get my gliding fixes mostly for free as a commercial glider pilot, I will be able to afford to start begging for more Citabria time (much more effective when you can offer money for fuel, LOL).
But when I can afford to get back into power, working towards tow flying will probably be my focus... if I get my own insurance temporarily (and renew the medical), I might be able to work something out with that Citabria or the two others based on the field. I could eventually meet the requirements to tow for the club, and then only pay club dues, and fly tows and glider rides for free.

While a wing down takeoff is a common practice some places when a runner isn't available it seems like a bad idea to continue an unexpected launch like you did. I'm wondering why you didn't just pull the release since it sounds like you weren't really ready to go? That's the airplane equivalent of closing the throttle on takeoff if something is amiss.

Well, so? That's easy enough to get. There is no demon living in a conventional gear plane. In fact, conventional gear give you a much broader range in speed in which you can properly land the aircraft. A tricycle gear really only has full/imminent stall stick aft landings on the mains, "three point" attitude as one would say in a TW aircraft. Thing is, you also get "wheel landings" where you fly it onto the runway at a level pitch and hold the tail up until you can't. This is the preferred method with most large tailwheels for visibility and finesse with a load. The thing is you need more runway as you land 5-15 kts faster than 3 point depending on the plane.

There are some 2 seat Pawnees around, look up N75HM see where it is... although a PA-12 will be a fine substitute TW trainer for the Pawnee.

Man, a 1-26 gets going pretty quickly even behind our 150hp Citabria... must be pretty exciting behind a 250hp Pawnee! :yikes:

It's a rocket launch, the 1-26 is airborne in about 100 ft or less. Everyone is flying in about 400ft and 1000fpm climb rates are the norm with a 1-26 in tow. The 2-33 and Grob can expect 500-600 fpm on tow.

Unfortunately, the TW endorsement is the least of it. Even getting the tow pilot endorsement is not a big deal (although it is pretty demanding flying). I believe I could get the tow endorsement in our Citabria with my current skills and the TW signoff, and fly tows without mishap... but I lack sufficient total time, TW time, and time in make and model to satisfy the insurance company. :(

Technically, I can ride back seat on tows to fulfill part of the tow endorsement, and every now and then I get some "non-acting PIC" time in the Citabria, but it's rare that glider weight and density altitude will allow me to tag along on tows (and fly it a bit afterwards), and it's rare that I get to fly it otherwise, 'cause it's mostly used for towing. Haven't even landed it. Until my finances improve, I can't do much about that situation, so getting there as a lapsed-medical power PIC who hardly ever flies power these days would be a long, slow road that I haven't really started on. Perhaps when I can get my gliding fixes mostly for free as a commercial glider pilot, I will be able to afford to start begging for more Citabria time (much more effective when you can offer money for fuel, LOL).
But when I can afford to get back into power, working towards tow flying will probably be my focus... if I get my own insurance temporarily (and renew the medical), I might be able to work something out with that Citabria or the two others based on the field. I could eventually meet the requirements to tow for the club, and then only pay club dues, and fly tows and glider rides for free.

FAA requires 100 hrs PIC category and class. Our insurance company used to require 200 hrs ASEL and 25 hr Pawnee time for the open pilot policy. We could get them through a 10hr recent tailwheel course and endorsement and get them on the policy as a named pilot.

Our insurance company lifted the restrictions based on our history, tow qualification program. Meet FAA 100hr and pass our Chief pilots tailwheel review and we'll get you towing.

Well, so? That's easy enough to get. There is no demon living in a conventional gear plane. In fact, conventional gear give you a much broader range in speed in which you can properly land the aircraft. A tricycle gear really only has full/imminent stall stick aft landings on the mains, "three point" attitude as one would say in a TW aircraft. Thing is, you also get "wheel landings" where you fly it onto the runway at a level pitch and hold the tail up until you can't. This is the preferred method with most large tailwheels for visibility and finesse with a load. The thing is you need more runway as you land 5-15 kts faster than 3 point depending on the plane.

There are some 2 seat Pawnees around, look up N75HM see where it is... although a PA-12 will be a fine substitute TW trainer for the Pawnee.
Trust me, a TW endorsement is definately on my list-I've just gotta find a plane to use (the tow Pawnees at 0E0 are all 1 seater)

Does such a thing exist in NJ?:wink2:

See if you can find N10256, an old clip wing A model Ag Cat that when I last flew it was perfectly rigged and sported a dry Covington R-985. You could buy something like that without a Satloc and spray gear for under $20k. Fly some hours on it with no insurance and you can start towing up multiple gliders at a time.:D;) You can always sell them for what you paid for them, they're great 'clean up' planes still.

Does such a thing exist in NJ?:wink2:
If you mean DA, sure- DA can have adverse effects wherever and whenever the temp is above standard. It's not like in your neck of the woods, but on a very hot day, with two adults in the 2-33, a 150-hp towplane, and just over 3000 feet of usable runway and trees at both ends, even if the runway's barely 100 feet MSL it's just not a good idea to have another person in the towplane.

See if you can find N10256, an old clip wing A model Ag Cat that when I last flew it was perfectly rigged and sported a dry Covington R-985. You could buy something like that without a Satloc and spray gear for under $20k. Fly some hours on it with no insurance and you can start towing up multiple gliders at a time.:D;) You can always sell them for what you paid for them, they're great 'clean up' planes still.
That's a great deal but,sadly, even that is out of my league personally (and if I had that money, I'd get myself a decent C140 or Silvaire, and to hell with towing gliders). But the club has talked about upgrading... something like that Ag Cat would be pretty cool. Not sure if we need 450 hp, though, LOL!!
There's a banner-towing Pawnee that flies out of 47N, and we all sorta drool whenever we see it go by. The Bellanca is a sweet airplane but just not ideal for towing gliders.

with my Cherokee II (similar weight/performance to 1-26) behind our 230 hp C-175 with Horton STOL, we are averaging 7-800 fpm from ground to 2000 AGL. Very fun.

What your club needs is a lightweight, early 182. then almost anyone can tow.

While a wing down takeoff is a common practice some places when a runner isn't available it seems like a bad idea to continue an unexpected launch like you did. I'm wondering why you didn't just pull the release since it sounds like you weren't really ready to go? That's the airplane equivalent of closing the throttle on takeoff if something is amiss.

In hindsight, yes that is what I should have done but I chose not to as I had my checklist done and was otherwise ready to ask the wing runner to lift the wing anyhow. Had my canopy been open or I was unbuckled I would have certainly pulled the release.

That reminds me of another crazy story / accident... I did not see this myself, but it happened at my FBO when I was still flying there...

OK so at Cal City, there use to be a Skydive school that operated there as well. So one of the skydivers has a friend who also flys gliders. So they decide to introduce each other to their respective sports. Flight for a jump sort to speak.

They are going to fly a 2-33. The pilot gets the skydiver in the front seat all settled and then gets in the back. They get hooked up and are ready to go. Shortly after, the pilot gets out to adjust his seat or cushion. while he is outside the plane, the skydiver starts playing with the controlls and wags the rudder. Low and behold the plane heads down the runway. The wing strut on the 2-33 cold cocks the pilot and nocks him down. The skydiver panicks and the glider climbs abruptly and the towpilot releases the rope to avoid stuffing the prop. The glider reaches its apogee and the skydiver opens the canopy stands up as if wanting to jump. The glider goes through an oscilation or two off natural dive, recovery and climb with this guy standing erect in the cockpit frozen. :yikes: On the final oscilation it banks left and begins to head toward the ground steeply right where an old c130 like fire or rescue plane was parked. Just before the plane hits the guy jumps out tucks and rolls like a skydiver and the plane breaks around him. He walks away without a scratch. Just like bugs bunny the guy exits just before it hits and is fine...:rofl:

Last edited:
Rottydaddy said:

I believe I could get the tow endorsement in our Citabria with my current skills and the TW signoff, and fly tows without mishap...

Haven't even landed it.

That's a pretty bold statement coming from a guy with a few hours in a Champ, and then attempting to fly an underpowered tow plane with new students trying thier best to kill or at least run you off the runway on evey tow. Mix in flying off the power plane runway and dropping the rope in a small target area on every tow, all from a power pilot who has not flown a power plane in several years. :rolleyes2:

Rottydaddy said:

I believe I could get the tow endorsement in our Citabria with my current skills and the TW signoff, and fly tows without mishap...

Haven't even landed it.

That's a pretty bold statement coming from a guy with a few hours in a Champ, and then attempting to fly an underpowered tow plane with new students trying thier best to kill or at least run you off the runway on evey tow. Mix in flying off the power plane runway and dropping the rope in a small target area on every tow, all from a power pilot who has not flown a power plane in several years. :rolleyes2:

Well let's face it, some boldness would be required for any pilot in that situation. :D I have seen what you deal with, and I have even been the offender occasionally. :D
I also never said I wouldn't have a lot of rust to scrape off... that's pretty obvious. And you are right, dropping the rope as consistently well as you, without going around afterwards, would take a lot of practice. It might be the trickiest part, actually. But I think I have the right basic stuff- after all, I was Andrew's first tow "victim" and I survived that. :wink2: :D

Almost 40 hours TW time, by the way, including 86 landings. Most of them were pretty good, and not all of them were easy. Definitely been a while (last power plane landing for me was in that PA32 in '08), but I haven't forgotten what I learned during those taildragger flights. I think I would be a "good prospect", how's that? :wink2:
I guess the point I was trying to make, regarding the realities of getting into glider towing, was just that a given pilot may be ready to learn it and do OK by the FAA and the teacher, but meeting the insurance minimums can make it another matter.

In hindsight, yes that is what I should have done but I chose not to as I had my checklist done and was otherwise ready to ask the wing runner to lift the wing anyhow. Had my canopy been open or I was unbuckled I would have certainly pulled the release.

That reminds me of another crazy story / accident... I did not see this myself, but it happened at my FBO when I was still flying there...

OK so at Cal City, there use to be a Skydive school that operated there as well. So one of the skydivers has a friend who also flys gliders. So they decide to introduce each other to their respective sports. Flight for a jump sort to speak.

They are going to fly a 2-33. The pilot gets the skydiver in the front seat all settled and then gets in the back. They get hooked up and are ready to go. Shortly after, the pilot gets out to adjust his seat or cushion. while he is outside the plane, the skydiver starts playing with the controlls and wags the rudder. Low and behold the plane heads down the runway. The wing strut on the 2-33 cold cocks the pilot and nocks him down. The skydiver panicks and the glider climbs abruptly and the towpilot releases the rope to avoid stuffing the prop. The glider reaches its apogee and the skydiver opens the canopy stands up as if wanting to jump. The glider goes through an oscilation or two off natural dive, recovery and climb with this guy standing erect in the cockpit frozen. :yikes: On the final oscilation it banks left and begins to head toward the ground steeply right where an old c130 like fire or rescue plane was parked. Just before the plane hits the guy jumps out tucks and rolls like a skydiver and the plane breaks around him. He walks away without a scratch. Just like bugs bunny the guy exits just before it hits and is fine...:rofl:

:eek: Wow. There's one skydiver who will argue that jumping is safer than flying... :rofl:

We all make mistakes, but I don't think I'd ever ask for the hookup, then get out of the glider with a non-pilot sitting in there. If I had to get out for any reason after hookup, pax or no, I'd probably hit the release first. That story explains why.

Can't really blame the tow pilot on that one- the mirror is usually small, and it's only part of what they have to look at before launching. Tow pilot checks the mirror, sees that rudder wagging... oh well. There's other reasons why the roll may start prematurely; you have to be ready if you're on the rope.
The thing I was taught is that the rope is not attached until and unless there is a PIC strapped in and ready to fly, and that's best controlled by the glider PIC. And if someone is running the wing, they have to have the tow pilot's attention, to prevent stuff like that from happening.It's easy for everybody involved to start to feel rushed, or get complacent because they've done it a million times, but you have to stop and think sometimes.

Back