Gleim Private Pilot practice exam is missing figures?

Johann

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Johann
So I'm doing the practice test (the book is the 2013 edition), just because my instructor is old school and wants me to use the result from this for the endorsement (I'm hating the page flipping, I did the Study Buddy one before and it was so much better).

I get to question 10 and it says:
(Refer to Figure 12 above.) Which of the reporting stations have VFR weather?

What figure 12 above!?!?. There's another question above!. There are no figures in the practice test, they are scattered all over the book.
It looks as if they just copy and pasted random questions from each section, in which the figures are actually above/below, but didn't put the figure, and they didn't bother to put the real reference.

I skipped the question and figured "If I get a passing score without it I won't even bother", but then 11 is the same, and 15, and a lot of them.

Anyone used this and knows what's going on?
I guess I could go and hunt for the question in the book and then look at the figure, but I don't think I will. I must be missing something, I can't see how this error would have gotten past them.

The ASA book has all the figures in a separate booklet. Check that, or check and see if they're all in a separate section of the book.

The ASA book has all the figures in a separate booklet. Check that, or check and see if they're all in a separate section of the book.

The way the book is organized is this:
There's a section for each "study unit" (weather, cross country planning, etc.). Each section has a brief explanation of the subject, and then a set of practice questions with the answers.
In that part, when it says "Refer to figure above", there is a figure above.

At the end, there is a practice exam, which is just 60 questions, no explanations, no answers (answers are all at the end). For this section, it seems they copied the question from a study unit verbatim, so it still says "refer to the figure above", but the figure is not there.

I would have to go and find the question in the corresponding study unit, and then look at the picture. In that process it's almost impossible not to see the answer.

So the figure is actually somewhere in the book, the reference is just not there (or actually it is but it's wrong).

I'm done, I scored good enough taking those 5 questions without the figures as wrong, so I'm not going back to that book ever.

The pages are actually of a good type of paper to start a fire and grill some meat (they are cheap newspaper style).

I'm done, I scored good enough taking those 5 questions without the figures as wrong, so I'm not going back to that book ever.

The pages are actually of a good type of paper to start a fire and grill some meat (they are cheap newspaper style).

Now that you passed the private exam you can just use sheppard air for all of your future written exams and just memorize the answers :idea:
Plus they update the figures and questions a couple of times a week usually.

The FAA-CT-8080-2F Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement for Sport Pilot, Recretional Pilot. and Private AKA "figures" is available on line as a pdf here

Now that you passed the private exam you can just use sheppard air for all of your future written exams and just memorize the answers :idea:
Plus they update the figures and questions a couple of times a week usually.

I didn't take the exam yet, but I did good enough to get sign off from my cfi. I'll look into scheduling it in the next few weeks.

Weird. I had the Gleim study book and I didn't have any issues. I don't remember where the figures were, but I didn't have any trouble finding them.

If you think the Gleim book is bad you should have seen the Jeppesen one. I wonder who was proofreading that thing...

Back