Gleim Online Private Pilot Ground School ?

marcoseddi

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
marc
Hi Guys,

Doing a lot of the reading on my own, read most of the hand book/AIM I like the practice test concept and I did the first lesson of the gleim, and I do like it. I also like and my CFI did as well they give you an endorsement at the end. Anybody use this, any thoughts recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I liked their online thing for the Instrument. Since I'd already let a written elapse at the time, it was just a review however. Can't say if it would be good for from-scratch, but don't see why not.

Before you make your decision, try the full free lessons at the Gold Seal Online Ground School. You can check out about 10 of them without charge and see how you like them compared to Gleim. Gold Seal will also generate you a written test endorsement.

www.FAA-Ground-School.com

I did check out Gold Seal, I did notice a few of the lessons were straight copies out of the handbook which I didn't like.. However that was one lesson another 2 I did check out were great and I liked it very informative and I learned a lot off of it. Not sure yet I guess.

I used the Cessna King Course for both PPL, and IFR and liked them. I am using the Gleim for CPL and it is just as easy for me to read their outlines in their books, and do the test in the books, which is what the on line course appears to be. For the money, I would buy just the books.

Personally, I like the Cessna King approach better, but cannot see spending the money on both. I have seen a number of the King lectures listed on you tube and you may want to check that out. Sporty also has a course that many like and they also are on you tube.

Doug

I used the Gleim course and found it very user friendly and gave me everything I needed to pass my written.

I used Gleim for sport pilot. It did the job, but it could have been better. It also has a time limit, I don't know if the other courses do.

Don't overlook ASA's online ground school.

Bob Gardner

Faa-Ground School or Gleim online faa is 77 and gleim I can get for 73 on ebay.. faa ground school has the prep for oral and check ride, and did a bunch with them, their videos are good and material is good for the most part some is right out of the pdf from the faa website though.. gleim i did first lesson was pretty good was originally leaning towards them, anyone use either?

More of a fan of the King school (it's the industry standard, for good reason), Gleim does a OK job, albeit a little dry, but it works

I bought Sportys for PP and Gleim for instrument. I also borrowed a friend's King for instrument just to cover my bases. Can't say there was too much difference. IMO, the King version seemed to explain the answer a little better, but I couldn't really endorse one over the other.

Look for free stuff like the post above. Free is always good.

I am currently using Gleim's PPL Kit (the most basic one that comes with their practice software) and have zero complaints. I'm doing Part-61 training so I can really appreciate the structure Gleim's books offer.

Someone mentioned that they're a bit on the dry side. I agree. But if you're excited about the training itself (which I have been), it's easy to get through.

Another book that I bought separately that I refer to A LOT is Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook. Where Gleim's handbook is a bit cut-and-dry, Rod's is filled with diagrams and really really easy-to-grasp methods of breaking down complex concepts. Try it out.

Here's a comparison between King and Gold Seal:
http://www.faa-ground-school.com/compare.htm

At Gold Seal you can take 11 of the lessons without any charge. Just do the free registration. These aren't demos or previews, they are the full, complete lesson modules. Even if you settle on a different course, go ahead and take advantage of the free content at Gold Seal.

I haven't been able to evaluate it for their IR course.

I was really set on Gleim did all the free ones at the FAA Ground school website and it seems to have some nice extras like oral and check ride help although i think the cfi should be able to help on that.. and G1000 glass cockpit start up and some cool extras but the gleim seems very to put the point very structured and done.. I don't know which to go with both are basically the same price.. I guess in the end I can't go wrong.

As far as I can see, though, Dauntless (http://Dauntless-soft.com) is just exam prep, not ground school. Those really are separate things. I think that the discussion is actually about online ground school, right?
Thats right just trying to decide between gleim and faa-ground-school.com

Think I am going to give faa ground school.com a try..

As far as I can see, though, Dauntless (http://Dauntless-soft.com) is just exam prep, not ground school. Those really are separate things. I think that the discussion is actually about online ground school, right?

You can put Dauntless into "Intruction mode" and it shows the question, the answer and a detailed explaination of why it's the correct answer. That's really all I wanted.

Shep

You can put Dauntless into "Intruction mode" and it shows the question, the answer and a detailed explaination of why it's the correct answer. That's really all I wanted.

Shep
That's great for taking the test, and I'm glad it met your need.

However, I hope that no one thinks that all the knowledge one gets (or should get) from a good ground school is covered in the test. Therefore, anything that is just covering the test questions is insufficient ground instruction to make a complete and safe pilot.

Back