Gleim on-line Ground School..Have you used this?

1600vw

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
H.A.S.
I was thinking of going this route for my ground school.

Thoughts from those whom have used this course would be great.

Thanks

I used Sporty's kit with the question bank and DVD test questions. I did the same with the Gleim kit for my instrument. If you go through the questions enough and read the explanations, you will do very well.

I used Sporty's kit with the question bank and DVD test questions. I did the same with the Gleim kit for my instrument. If you go through the questions enough and read the explanations, you will do very well.

It sounds as if the Sporty's Kit was most perfered by you.

Would this be correct?

It also sounds like the sporty's route might be a little easier.

Used Gleim for both my sport and private. It's very informative, but a little dry delivery. For the price, it's worth it.

I used the Gelim test prep CD for all my written tests so far. Private, instrument, Comm, cfi/foi/cfii. This provided the questions from the test (actual questions) and feedback on answers. I was happy enough to keep using it, and my scores were consistently good.

I would go that route again without question.

Gleim customer here too. I think for $99 it's a good option. Self-paced and and a method I like to learn by.

I'd strongly suggest that you go through an actual lesson or two before making your decision. Delivery methods vary greatly. You want to get the style that works best for you.

It sounds as if the Sporty's Kit was most perfered by you.

Would this be correct?

It also sounds like the sporty's route might be a little easier.

I honestly can't say I prefer one over the other. They use the same question bank set, so that's not really an issue. I bought the gleim 3 years later than the sporty's, and it was a little more online integrated (question updates, etc), but I attribute this to being 3 years newer.

I bought the Gleim package 7 years ago when I started my private pilot ASEL training. I used some of the books recently when I finally finished my private ASEL, particularly the PTS explanation book. The ground school software was dry, but it's all at your own pace and if you are the type to be self motivated, you can get through it pretty quickly. I think I chose it because it was the cheapest at the time. They all have the same information and question bank. It all depends on how much you need to keep you focused.

Here's a free multimedia version of the latest private pilot PTS. It tracks your progress and includes links to every AC referenced. A major improvement over the text version you're probably used to. Here's the link: www.2012PTS.com/pts

I also used the Gleim on-line ground school but also used their Private Pilot FAA Knowledge test book along with it. Couple hours each night after work. Did very well on the Knowledge test and the interface was 99% identical for the CATS test.. worth every penny.

Another Gleim person here. Did my PPL test with it. Scored 96. The graphs made me miss a few because with the Gleim you can blow up the graph and count the lines. On the test it was a piece of paper very hard to determine the lines. All in all I would use Gleim again.

OP. I still have all the materials. Let me know if you want them. Free of charge to a fellow PoA member.

I used Gleim books for my commercial written and also have taken about 40 hours of Enrolled Agent CPE (tax stuff) from Gleim online over the last few years.

I think they give value for the money. Their online software isn't sexy, but it gets the job done.

I used it its not great the computations they don't teach u they tell u how it works and no examples then they test u and u have to go backwards to figure it out.. I'm doing it now I think it's good to pass the test which I hope I do soon..

Anyone have any experience with their IFR refresher online course? I'm considering taking it before I start my CFII.

I recently took the CFI-I renewal course through Gleim. 2d or 3rd time. They are dry, as has been stated. One does better if one actually looks at all their references.
Having said that, I know that their Sport Pilot section was not to the standard I'd have liked and I provided some feedback to that extent. I got the impression the curriculum developer was not experienced with SP facts and pulled some FAR quotes without thinking about how they went together.
When I say Gleim is dry, I mean they are like grass fed beef. Lots of protein but not enough marbling to really satisfy some people's appetite. You'll find yourself asking "why" or "show me an example" from time to time.

For my private I did the old fashion classroom, book, and study.. scored very well on the written... On line stuff didn't exist then.

Anyone have any experience with their IFR refresher online course? I'm considering taking it before I start my CFII.

For my instrument I was fortunate to inherit a set of the King Schools kit with all the video etc.... Made the test prep a little more interesting and fun...

Last edited:
For my private I did the old fashion classroom, book, and study.. scored very well on the written... On line stuff didn't exist then.

For my instrument I was fortunate to inherit a set of the King Schools kit with all the video etc.... Made the test prep a little more interesting and fun...
I'm not looking for a full IR course, just a refresher course that will polish up anything I may be weak on prior to starting work on my CFII add-on. I think King has an IFR regs refresher-I may go with that.

I used the Gleim OGS three (3) times (Commercial, FOI and AGI) and was happy with the results. The OGS is exactly the same as the Gleim book + Gleim exam prep CD for only $99.00. If you printed off each lesson, you essentially have the book.

Back