Glaucoma?!?!

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I just got my 3rd class re-issued this week. 5 years ago (I'm young), I got my initial Student Pilot Cert. and 3rd Class Medical - no problem.
Unfortunately, since my initial visit with an AME 5 years ago, I started taking eye drops (Latanoprost) for what my Ophthalmologist at the time said was "Inra-Ocular Hypertension" and that I needed to get my Intraocular Pressure down. Never has any eye care professional told me that I had Glaucoma or damage to my optic nerve and I have always done well on my visual field tests. Since taking the drops, my pressure in both eyes have been good. In fact, the last check I had, one eye reported a pressure of 16 mm Hg!

Needless to say, I was rather unsettled to have the AME this time turn to me and ask about my Glaucoma...

Since Latanoprost is on the "OK" drug list, I thought I would be fine. I have 20/15 (corrected) in one eye and 20/20 (corrected) in another and no issue with colorblindness or peripheral vision.
The AME did issue my new 3rd class medical after the appointment, so I don't think I was "deferred", but the AME said he may need a letter from my eye doctor stating the pressures and giving an overview of my treatment, etc.

I am very nervous (and surprised) about this situation. Will I have to get an O.D. to fill out 8500-14 and/or 8500-7 or something?
Any insight anyone could provide would be MOST appreciated!

THANK YOU!

Did the AME say why he thought you had been diagnosed with Glaucoma? This is what the FAA expects of your AME when glaucoma has been diagnosed:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/et/31-34/glaucoma/

Follow the Glaucoma Worksheet link if interested in the conditions under which an AME may issue when glaucoma has been diagnosed. It sounds like you have a valid medical and probably have nothing to worry about. The doctor's request doesn't seem to match FAA protocols.

I had to get an SI for Glaucoma, and the link Jim has above is a good one.

What I had to do:

1. fill out 8500-14
  2. Get a letter from the Doc saying vision was good, condition stable, yadda yadda yadda
  3. A copy of the field test
  4. Submit to Ok City

Hopefully you have a Humphrey Visual Fields test. This is what the FAA will want to see and frankly, you should have one anyhow. I've got borderline high IOPs and get the battery of tests done regularly but fortunately it has not progressed.

"The Examiner should deny or defer issuance of a medical certificate to an applicant if there is a loss of visual fields, a significant change in visual acuity, or *newly diagnosed intraocular hypertension*."

Wow, after reading the worksheet, it sounds like I should have been deferred - not that I am not thankful to have a medical issued!

Over 2 years ago I stopped seeing an Ophthalmologist and instead started seeing an O. D.
From what I understand, it would appear that worse case at this point would be the FAA (in the next 60 days) requests that I submit a completed form 8500-14?

Hopefully you have a Humphrey Visual Fields test. This is what the FAA will want to see and frankly, you should have one anyhow. I've got borderline high IOPs and get the battery of tests done regularly but fortunately it has not progressed.

I did complete a visual fields test, but it is over 2 years old.
Sounds like to make the FAA happy going forward I need to find an OPTHAMOLOGIST that can give me a visual field once a year and fill out whatever paperwork the FAA wants before I renew my medial?

I did complete a visual fields test, but it is over 2 years old.
Sounds like to make the FAA happy going forward I need to find an OPTHAMOLOGIST that can give me a visual field once a year and fill out whatever paperwork the FAA wants before I renew my medial?

It will need to be specifically a HUMPHRIES (or Octopus which I've never seen one of). If they had you stick your head in a white fishbowl and click a mouse when you saw the blinky lights that was probably a Humphries machine. They'll certainly want one recent at the SI issuance time. Don't know what subsequent renewals would be.

I get one every other year notwithstanding the FAA along with a few other things like a GDx and the normal slit lamp inspections and retinal photos.

It will need to be specifically a HUMPHRIES (or Octopus which I've never seen one of). If they had you stick your head in a white fishbowl and click a mouse when you saw the blinky lights that was probably a Humphries machine. They'll certainly want one recent at the SI issuance time. Don't know what subsequent renewals would be.

I get one every other year notwithstanding the FAA along with a few other things like a GDx and the normal slit lamp inspections and retinal photos.

Yep, sounds like the last visual field used a HUMPHRIES, but it may be too long ago and thus, I am fully prepared to get re-acquainted with my Ophthalmologist and get another (more recent) visual field test done. :(

Be sure to get the raw data and not just his "report" of your results. It think it comes out of the side of the machine on something that looks like cash register tape if I recall properly.

Be sure to get the raw data and not just his "report" of your results. It think it comes out of the side of the machine on something that looks like cash register tape if I recall properly.

Will do! Thanks for the tip.
Also, for what it's worth, the Ophthalmologist I was seeing was a "she".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back