Glaucoma Question

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I wouldn't expect any impact on my Class 3 medical from being diagnosed with open angle glaucoma as long as the vision tests are satisfactory. Visual acuity and range are OK. Am using Travatan eye drops. How correct or off base are my expectations?

well, I'm blind in one eye due to glaucoma and I'm still flying. I had more hoops to go through, but I'm flying. I can't speak to whether you will have anything to deal with but I'm betting you will still fly. is this one eye or two, however?

Went for my medical today and the SME says Glaucoma requires an SI so I'm grounded for awhile. He says that he has seen some 16 day turn arounds once the required info is provided to OKC.

Went for my medical today and the SME says Glaucoma requires an SI so I'm grounded for awhile. He says that he has seen some 16 day turn arounds once the required info is provided to OKC.

Yes, I have open angle, and am on Trusopt and generic timelol, one drop each eye twice daily. Been diagnosed since 1989.

My Doc had to do an exam and fill out form 8500-14, I also provided Ok City copies of my visual field, and my Doc wrote me a nice letter stating pressures well under control, minimal cupping, normal field, no nerve loss, blah blah blah.

SI took 3 months to get thru Ok City, not bad in my book, some folks wait much monger. They gave me a 6 year SI, and my first medical after the SI went off without a hitch, but I started getting my ducks in a row early, and had a comprehensive package of documents to present to the AME. I also found an AME who is a pilot, dentist, lawer, as well as an MD, and is a crotchety old bastard who knows the system. A good find, and well worth the 25% premium he charges over the other guys in the area who know next to nothing about medical certification and are in it just for the $$$.

I'll need a medical this coming November, and I'm already starting to get that gnawing in my stomach. For those of you who don't need SI's, be thankful you don't have to go thru this "I hope I'll be able to keep flying" thing every two years.

Last edited:
If your Opthalmologist provides a letter saying "detailed visual fields are normal, pressures controlled" this one can be approved on an AME call-in. The 8500-14 is nice, but the essentials are in this one sentence. :)

If your Opthalmologist provides a letter saying "detailed visual fields are normal, pressures controlled" this one can be approved on an AME call-in. The 8500-14 is nice, but the essentials are in this one sentence. :)

Wish *I* knew that before having to dance the dance. Live and learn.

I asked the AME yesterday about a "call-in" approval and he seemed not to have heard of doing this. Have you been able to do it with success regarding glaucoma?

Like Dr Bruce said, stable open angle glaucoma with a letter from your ophthalmologist really shouldn't be a problem. But there are different ways of getting the approval. I usually like to get the paper work before you come for the medical so I can look it over and make sure that it seems OK. If you have a current medical then I call the Regional Flight Surgeon and can get a "call in" approval. I have a harder time getting the Flight Surgeon on the day of the medical because of time changes and a few other issues. So if you don't bring the stuff in till your exam you may have to come back in a couple of days to pick it up when I can connect. Bruce seems to have better luck than me calling OKC directly, probably because I am somewhat of a phone wuss. Some AME's heard only the part of the training that said when in doubt--defer, and missed the part that said it is OK to call and work it out. And it does take extra time on our part. Glaucoma tends to be one of the easy ones to work out.

Barb(AME)

I asked the AME yesterday about a "call-in" approval and he seemed not to have heard of doing this. Have you been able to do it with success regarding glaucoma?
Yes. Once this month. But the OKC people have come to know me by name....this jaundices the matter some....:goofy:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back