Glasses

U

Unregistered

I wear glasses for seeing distance and scored 20/20 on my distance vision reading an Eye chart. I think I'm 20/30 with glasses on reading the eye chart for near sighted. Not sure exactly. Anyway I did past the vision exam during my medical.

So here is my issue.

I fly with Glasses for distance vision but having a little trouble reading a sectional chart up close. I'm having difficulty reading the fine print for example the CT frequencies. If I take of my glasses I can see the sectional chart details just fine. So I have to take of my glasses while flying to read the chart and put the back on to see distance outside of the window. I have no issues reading the instruments with or without glasses.

Does anyone else have this issue? Should I go see my eye doctor for "Grudge" Bi Focal glasses?

I wear glasses for seeing distance and scored 20/20 on my distance vision reading an Eye chart. I think I'm 20/30 with glasses on reading the eye chart for near sighted. Not sure exactly. Anyway I did past the vision exam during my medical.

So here is my issue.

I fly with Glasses for distance vision but having a little trouble reading a sectional chart up close. I'm having difficulty reading the fine print for example the CT frequencies. If I take off my glasses I can see the sectional chart details just fine. So I have to take off my glasses while flying to read the chart and put the back on to see distance outside of the window. I have no issues reading the instruments with or without glasses.

Does anyone else have this issue? Should I go see my eye doctor for "Grudge" Bi Focal glasses?

Made a couple corrections to my initial post.

I'm over 40 and have the same problem.
Solution: charts on iPad. You can zoom the text or any other detail.

Ok to clarify. I can see the chart just fine with out glasses. It just a pain to take them off to read the chart and put them back on for distance vision.

I'm far from an expert, but I can't think of any reason why they couldn't cut you a set of bifocals or progressives to accommodate both your near and far vision. My amateur suspicion would be that the bottoms would basically be plain glass with no correction, in your case.

But I'm not an optometrist, so take it for what it's worth.

-Rich

I'm far from an expert, but I can't think of any reason why they couldn't cut you a set of bifocals or progressives to accommodate both your near and far vision. My amateur suspicion would be that the bottoms would basically be plain glass with no correction, in your case.

But I'm not an optometrist, so take it for what it's worth.

-Rich
Pretty much what they did with my first pair. Unfortunatly, my bifocals are much stronger now.

It takes a bit of time to adjust to bifocals when you first get them, but being able to see distance and close up without removing glasses is worth it.

That's the fun of being nearsighted. I read and use the computer without them, but walk around work, shop, drive and fly with glasses.

Your options: take them off/raise them briefly when looking at the chart; get good at looking under your lenses [small lenses help with that]; or get bifocals that have no prescription on the bottom. Most older people need bifocals with prescription on the bottom, but us nearsighted folks need it clear.

I also make a notesheet for my flights, with VOR names/morse code/frequencies, airport codes/names/frequencies, etc., for my kneeboard, as it's easier than finding it on the sectional while bouncing along.

Does anyone else have this issue?
I do. And have since age 45.

Should I go see my eye doctor for "Grudge" Bi Focal glasses?
Yes. If you're having trouble with fine print during the on the eye test in a well-lit office, imagine what will happen trying to read a sectional in a cockpit at night.

And if you have vanity issues about bifocals, just keep them in the plane and only wear them for flying like my old F-111 pilot Pete Luster. Pete kept his glasses in his helmet bag, didn't put them on until cleared for takeoff, and hid them away as soon as we cleared the runway after landing. Swore his WSO's to silence about it, too, although I have broken that silence now that we are all long retired. :D

We just added these Bifocal Sunglasses by Flying Eyes:

http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com/products/flying-eyes-aviation-sunglasses

Now you don't have to change glasses, back and forth and create a huge pain in the ass. They've got straps for your headset, and then swap out for regular temples.

FE-strap-bifocals-compared_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Unless those fit over regular eyeglasses, they won't help the OP, but they should be useful for contact lens wearers.

They can do prescriptions too! They partnered with Sports Optical to fulfill the prescriptions. Check out the features. With the bifocals, I even think he can do a prescription main lens, with the bifocal, but I'll check it out and report back.

Last edited:
Everyone over 40

And, yes.

Not QUITE everyone.
I used to have that problem until I reached 50.
Then, I had cataract surgery and now see far, intermediate, and in-cockpit reading without glasses; but then, I'm only 66 :(

Actually, it's easier for me reading close with cheaters, but the printing on sectionals I have absolutely no problem with without glasses. Maybe the copyright box, but none of the important stuff. Maybe have to ask Tom Downey how he is doing in a couple of weeks and he might tell you the same :)

Not QUITE everyone.
I used to have that problem until I reached 50.
Then, I had cataract surgery and now see far, intermediate, and in-cockpit reading without glasses; but then, I'm only 66 :(

Actually, it's easier for me reading close with cheaters, but the printing on sectionals I have absolutely no problem with without glasses. Maybe the copyright box, but none of the important stuff. Maybe have to ask Tom Downey how he is doing in a couple of weeks and he might tell you the same :)

As I explained on the red board - My eye doc tried to tell me that I was getting cataracts, but I set him straight - I only buy Fords.

http://youtu.be/n3mCQ9XpP2U

Just wanted to weigh in here, since someone suggested progressive lenses. Not that my experience will be everyone's, but when I first started flying, I was wearing progressive lenses, since I've been nearsighted forever, and haven't been able to see up close since I turned 40. The progressive lenses worked fine for work, where I spend long hours at the computer. But I discovered they didn't work well for flying, or for sports. Basically, they distorted my peripheral vision, and any time I moved my head to see "better," I got this weird dizzying sensation. After a lot of experimentation, I finally switched to some ugly bifocals. Suddenly, my landings improved. When it comes to flying, better to see well than to look good!

Ok to clarify. I can see the chart just fine with out glasses. It just a pain to take them off to read the chart and put them back on for distance vision.

That describes me. You get used to taking them off and putting them on. :yes:

Just wanted to weigh in here, since someone suggested progressive lenses. Not that my experience will be everyone's, but when I first started flying, I was wearing progressive lenses, since I've been nearsighted forever, and haven't been able to see up close since I turned 40. The progressive lenses worked fine for work, where I spend long hours at the computer. But I discovered they didn't work well for flying, or for sports. Basically, they distorted my peripheral vision, and any time I moved my head to see "better," I got this weird dizzying sensation. After a lot of experimentation, I finally switched to some ugly bifocals. Suddenly, my landings improved. When it comes to flying, better to see well than to look good!
According to both optometrists with whom I discussed this, EagleI's experience is typical. They said some people handle it well, but most do not. I suggest not getting progressives unless you get a money-back (or at least full credit towards replacement of the lenses with regular bifocal lenses) guarantee of satisfaction.

The other option, that someone may have mentioned, is to wear contacts for distance vision and drugstore cheaters granny-style for charts and/or the panel. (I still do this, even though now my distance prescription is in the plus range now as well.)

I have progressives now, and had bifocals for a number of years prior. Even now, I look under the bottom of the lens for a lot of things. I can do that because I have fairly short (top to bottom) lenses vs large "aviator" types.

I'm fortunate enough to have a pilot as my eye-doc. Makes for a more pleasant exam when we get to talk flying in between "which is better, 1 or 2?". Plus, he can optimize my lenses and prescriptions for the cockpit based on my and his experience. I always see him about a month before my AME visit, so I know I won't have any problems there. It's been great.

One problem with progressives or any kind of bifocals is going under the hood with Foggles or similar. They block out the upper half of my lenses, leaving only the reader portion. That's a PITA when I need panel distance vision and only have reading distance vision available.

Hello OP here,

You have given some great Ideas, I like the IPAD Idea with the sectional. Now I just have to buy an IPad ;)

I don't have to look cool in the cockpit. Who is going see me anyway but the thought of Bifocals turns me off. :(

I don't have to look cool in the cockpit. Who is going see me anyway but the thought of Bifocals turns me off. :(
Then take the Pete Luster solution -- wear them only when flying and hide them the rest of the time. But if you think the thought of bifocals turns you off, just wait until you find out what else is waiting for you as you turn 50, then 60...

...and I turned 63 today. But the alternative is far worse. :D

But if you think the thought of bifocals turns you off, just wait until you find out what else is waiting for you as you turn 50, then 60...

:rofl: And happy birthday!

Then take the Pete Luster solution -- wear them only when flying and hide them the rest of the time. But if you think the thought of bifocals turns you off, just wait until you find out what else is waiting for you as you turn 50, then 60...

Birthdays are good for you, Ron! The more of them you have, the longer you live. :lol:

Update: Yes you can get prescription bifocals as well. We just don't carry those. Click on the link to SportsOptical and they'll take good care of you! They already carry the frames in stock, and will ship them right to ya!

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.

Ok this weekend I just lifted the my glasses onto my forehead to read the chart and once I'm done reading the chart I put the back down again. This worked just fine when the instructor asked me to Navigate Via VOR.

After I get my PPL current again I will look at different Glasses so I do not have to do this.

Thanks for the replies and Ideas.

Signed the OP

Multifocal contact lenses work well enough for me. You trade a little distance (although I still correct to 20/20) for near vision. They work well enough that reading glasses are no longer needed.

Multifocal contact lenses work well enough for me. You trade a little distance (although I still correct to 20/20) for near vision. They work well enough that reading glasses are no longer needed.
I have both, and used to fly with the multifocals, but found that although I test 20/20 distant with them, my distant vision is distinctly better with single-vision lenses. As a result, I only fly with the single-vision lenses plus reading glasses. I also have a specially made pair of flying sunglasses which have thin wire temples to fit under the headset, zero main-pane correction, 1.5 diopter reading inserts, and are sun-shaded in the top half and clear in the bottom half -- cost about $120 at WalMart Optical. At night, I just use thin-temple reading glasses.

When you get your next pair of glasses, select small frames--this makes it easy to look under the lens for a quick peek at the sectional. For an extended look, like trying to find a VOR, or locate where the text for the VOR is hiding, lift them up and the nose pads will hold them to your forehead.

[Some people just don't understand that we don't need readers--we see just fine up close, but use the glasses for distance.]

EyeMart Express advertises 2 pair of glasses as low as $59. They aren't the best optics, but I keep one pair to work in the yard with, and the second is a backup that lives in the plane. Look for deals where you live.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back