Glass Skywalk opens

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
The grand Canyon west opens a cool new skywalk today. Looks like "Buzz" is going to be one of the first to test it out. I guess he is used to taking risks. Man i wish i wasnt so busy today i would love to go check that out and meet buzz.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6469941.stm

I am not sure if there is an extra charge or not. It does cost 25 bucks per person to enter the park. I always goto the south rim, a carload is 10 bucks, and in my opinion has better views. Take a look at airnav comments on grand canyon west airport, (peirce ferry?) They state that the airport manager will be charging a 50 dollar landing fee, waived if you buy two tickets inside the park. Thats kinda messed up, but i guess that would be the only reason to land there.

Yeah, but it costs, what, $75.00 to walk out there?? Don't think so!

Choke...cough....gasp... $75! No thanks. The idea of paying that kind of money for the opportunity to have a heart attack just doesn't sound like something I'd want to do! :hairraise:

As per their website it cost $25 to walk out.

Not me.

I drove my car over the Royal Gorge plank bridge and noticed that the people walking on it were a bit green in the gills as I passed...and the boards bounced a bit.

We parked and walked onto the bridge from the far side. I went about 200 feet, seeing the DOWN below me in the spaces between the boards, and eventually ran for the railing to hang on and tip-toed back.

I drove back a lot more slowly in deference for the people walking.

Taking the cable car across was no problem.

I'd love to see it but I sure can't see spending the money. Tax money was already spent on building it and I have huge questions on where the money collected goes now. If it were providing decent salaries to park employees and law enforcement to protect the area, I'd say yes. But, I'm sure Richard would say that's not the case.

Besides, after several visits to Rocky Mountain National Park... nothing beats a three-thousand foot drop where you can follow the edge right down to the bottom. You can't do that in a plane! :)

Who will be the first to base jump off that thing?

Rich

I think it sounds like a cool idea. But, of course, I live too far away to actually spend the $75 there anytime soon.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

LOL, so now we see their game.

I wonder how strong that glass is though....

seeing on TV it looks like they have counterweights on the other side. Might make a nice prank to try moving those...

As they said on Fark, "Is it wee-wee proof?" I hope they have a drain.

i dont think its counterweighted, looked to me like it was just anchored in the side of the canyon, very deep.

i think its pretty cool and if I could swing a trip to the Grand Canyon another 25 bucks to walk out over the canyon might be worth it.

I'd love to see it but I sure can't see spending the money. Tax money was already spent on building it and I have huge questions on where the money collected goes now. If it were providing decent salaries to park employees and law enforcement to protect the area, I'd say yes. But, I'm sure Richard would say that's not the case.

Besides, after several visits to Rocky Mountain National Park... nothing beats a three-thousand foot drop where you can follow the edge right down to the bottom. You can't do that in a plane! :)

That particular visitor center and the skywalk is located on the Hualapai Indian Reservation and is completely unconnected to Grand Canyon National Park, other than as you gaze through the walk you can see parts of the park below. No tax dollars involved (I believe.) Pure profit motive, though IMHO that particular reservation could use the $, if they don't end up ruining their land in the process.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-skywalk11feb11,0,6802248.story

Last edited:
That particular visitor center and the skywalk is located on the Hualapai Indian Reservation and is completely unconnected to Grand Canyon National Park, other than as you gaze through the walk you can see parts of the park below. No tax dollars involved (I believe.) Pure profit motive, though IMHO that particular reservation could use the $, if they don't end up ruining their land in the process.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-skywalk11feb11,0,6802248.story
In that event, free market rules. They should charge whatever visitors are willing to pay. The price seems stiff but so are many of the NP entry fees.

Thanks Richard

I walked on it during the grand opening media day a couple days ago. It opens to the public on the 28th. It was pretty impressive, but I didnt pay anything.

We fly tours up there all the time. From what I was told, it is an additional $25 to walk on it on top of the normal package. To get to any of the overlooks, you pay to ride on their buses. These include 2 overlooks, and lunch for as long as you want to stay. They also have helicopter rides to the bottom and boat rides on the colorado river. I think the 2 overlooks and lunch option costs $49.95 so an additional $25 would make the total $75

Even at that price, I think it will be packed all the time though. All the Vegas tourist will pay that no problem!!

Back